Groups
    EXPIRED

POP UPS ON LAPTOP.... HELP!

HELP! Can anyone advise me how to get rid of pesky pop ups on my laptop??. I've bought and installed internet security but this has not made a difference, please help
    Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

37 Comments

Original Poster

Please can someone help me get rid of pesky pop ups on my laptop? I have recently bought and installed internet security but this has not made a difference. Anyone know how I can stop them for free? Thanks

Pop ups? Sounds like adware, you may have installed something you may not need! Go into the control panel and check 'unstall programs' for anything you don't need, then get an ad blocker for your browser. Lastly run something like CClearer to clean your laptop.

Another tip, buying internet security is not needed nowadays. There are many free security suites, which work well. Its mostly about the user, 9 times out 10 something like this happens due to the user not taking care when downloading programs and other data! Along with installations. Check when installing software, it is not uncommon for it to prompt you to install taskbars ect... just be careful to check 'decline' and not install the junk!

Edited by: "joshp" 21st Jun 2014

I would install malwarebytes too, cracking free program that can help rid you of nasties

great advice above I have installed both recommended items, however even after disabling add one I was tortured. The items weren't in programs, they were hidden and could only be found in the registry. hopefully someone here could talk you through that. Microsoft security essentials is also a good free option. Unfortunate my these pesky little blighters can sneak in by browsing sites as too.

If you download & install programs, untick express install, use custom to see what you are installing

Go to add & remove programs, remove things that you don't want

Read this techsupportalert.com/bes…e=1

I'm sure I used a programme called adware cleaner, it was free, just google search

Type your answer here...I am having the same problem but only on this site and it only started this morning! Any help much appreciated it is driving me mad!!

Original Poster

joshp

Pop ups? Sounds like adware, you may have installed something you may not … Pop ups? Sounds like adware, you may have installed something you may not need! Go into the control panel and check 'unstall programs' for anything you don't need, then get an ad blocker for your browser. Lastly run something like CClearer to clean your laptop. Another tip, buying internet security is not needed nowadays. There are many free security suites, which work well. Its mostly about the user, 9 times out 10 something like this happens due to the user not taking care when downloading programs and other data! Along with installations. Check when installing software, it is not uncommon for it to prompt you to install taskbars ect... just be careful to check 'decline' and not install the junk!

Thank you very much for this. im not computer savvy at all. where do I get ad blockers?

Original Poster

its happened since my partner tried to get streaming for a boxing match, since them my laptop has been a nightmare and goes very slow too. so frustrating

what browser do you use?

We use firefox with ad blocker plus. Also in the tools - options - content you can block pop ups there.

Original Poster

um google chrome?

go to tools - extensions - get more extentions

search for ad block plus, install that and should block ads.
    Edited by: "MichyM" 21st Jun 2014

Original Poster

MichyM

go to tools - extensions - get more extentionssearch for ad block plus, … go to tools - extensions - get more extentionssearch for ad block plus, install that and should block ads.

will try now. thanks alot

Original Poster

so sorry but where is tools?

check network settings.. malware may have set you up with a dodgy proxy

right hand side of address bar, three stacked lines, click that then tools is halfway down

After running malwarebytes install adblock plus, Great pop up blocker.

If it is putting adverts on every page you visit, just blocking them is not good enough. you want to get rid of the proxy (if it exists) which would be rerouting all your data via another machine.

If there is a rogue proxy in your settings, I would also change all your email, banking and shopping passwords.. especially after heartbleed.

Original Poster

ok done that. Thanks very much.

haylezmarie82

ok done that. Thanks very much.

ok now you want to be running a malware scan, malwarebytes or super anti spyware

superantispyware.com/

malwarebytes.org/

Original Poster

joshp

Pop ups? Sounds like adware, you may have installed something you may not … Pop ups? Sounds like adware, you may have installed something you may not need! Go into the control panel and check 'unstall programs' for anything you don't need, then get an ad blocker for your browser. Lastly run something like CClearer to clean your laptop. Another tip, buying internet security is not needed nowadays. There are many free security suites, which work well. Its mostly about the user, 9 times out 10 something like this happens due to the user not taking care when downloading programs and other data! Along with installations. Check when installing software, it is not uncommon for it to prompt you to install taskbars ect... just be careful to check 'decline' and not install the junk!

how can I uninstall more than one option at a time?, its going to take ages individually.

Original Poster

MichyM

ok now you want to be running a malware scan, malwarebytes or super anti … ok now you want to be running a malware scan, malwarebytes or super anti spywarehttp://www.superantispyware.com/https://www.malwarebytes.org/

ok, I have mcafee installed, does that cover it or not?

Have you run a scan with mcafee?

haylezmarie82

ok, I have mcafee installed, does that cover it or not?

no - mcafee is probably one of the worst antivirus programs out there for home users

I uninstall it immediately if I get a new pc and it comes pre-loaded

are you really going through uninstalling every program you dont recognise? A recipe for disaster if you dont know what you are doing (and no offence, but it appears you dont)

and you need to clarify if the pop-ups are appearing on your PC regardless of google chrome running. This is most certainly not just an advert problem!

Edited by: "chocci" 21st Jun 2014

Original Poster

yes. all secure it says.

Original Poster

chocci

no - mcafee is probably one of the worst antivirus programs out there for … no - mcafee is probably one of the worst antivirus programs out there for home usersI uninstall it immediately if I get a new pc and it comes pre-loadedare you really going through uninstalling every program you dont recognise? A recipe for disaster if you dont know what you are doing (and no offence, but it appears you dont)

no offence taken, I have no clue about computers especially this side of it. im only in installing what I do recognise as junk.

try running a scan here - doesn't require any downloads

f-secure.com/en/…ner

This scans for spyware, trojans etc

I've noticed recently chrome has become vulnerable to 'random popups' every other webpage i visited i had a stupid Sky Bet advert appear. I checked Google chrome to see if an extension had installed itself but it hadn't. The solution?

Re-install Google Chrome.
    All popups have since stopped appearing.

but the OPs laptop is really slow in general so its not just down to chrome.

definitely do what Michy said first

try running a scan here - doesn't require any downloads

f-secure.com/en/…ner

This scans for spyware, trojans etc

then look into getting a better free AV such as AVAST FREE and uninstall Mcafee!

avast.com/en-…dex

then run malwarebytes FREE version

malwarebytes.org/lp/…AKQ

then run CCleaner

clean4pc.com/?me…Ajw

Edited by: "chocci" 21st Jun 2014

At OP

You've now installed Adblock - that's good but I still think you need malwarebytes.org/ - it's free - on install/first startup - uncheck the trial Pro version - you need free only - after install - run full scan and delete anything it finds (probably you will need to reboot)

After malwarebytes full scan - if not done already download and install CCleaner - open CCleaner - analyse and clean history/temp files then click on left "Tools" on the list look for "install date" and click (to organise the list in date order (newest at top) - then check for anything recently installed that might have caused your popups and you do not recognise the name (search the name to check) if you are unsure - type a list here but if you are sure it's problematic uninstall using CCleaner

Hi hayleyzmarie82

I had the same problem and I solved it by simply going to Internet Options then Tools then clicked on Privacy, ticked Pop up Blocker then went to settings and changed the blocking level to High and I've had no more problems. Hope that works fo you.

Original Poster

wow really appreciate everybody's help here, thankyou everyone. I am just running a scan after installing the malware, also added the ad blocker too. once this is done will install the cc cleaner. hopefully then my laptop will run smoothly again. thanks again, couldn't have done it without you lot

Original Poster

scan has come up with 602 threats, is that alot??? also its not giving me the option to delete but quarantine, add exclusion or ignore once. which one should I choose?

your ok to quarantine them, 602 is a very high amount of threats, probably most will be PUP adware, but quarantine all

Original Poster

fab thank you.

haylezmarie82

scan has come up with 602 threats, is that alot??? also its not giving me … scan has come up with 602 threats, is that alot??? also its not giving me the option to delete but quarantine, add exclusion or ignore once. which one should I choose?

You quarantine them, Then after search through settings and find the option to delete them all, I can't remember where that option is.

Original Poster

My computer is running like a dream now, thanks again everyone.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. iPhone 7 32GB Black Unopened44
      2. Which SSD drive I need to replace my current HD511
      3. Can anyone share their Sky Go with me for £7.50 a month?45
      4. Pet lifetime insurance advice needed11

See more discussions