Popular kodi box being recalled due to possible electrocution..

Found 29th Jun 2017
SHOCKING I know but in all seriousness users are being warned to stop using the box as soon as it's possible as they could be fried.

The OTT TV Box can/could be bought on sites like eBay, Amazon etc

The creepage and clearance distances are too small and the insulation of the power supply unit is inadequate. The user can touch live parts.
"The product does not comply with the requirements of the Low Voltage Directive and the relevant European standard EN 60065.

http://i.imgur.com/xV5u61t.jpg

IF you have this box, contact your seller for a refund

Source
Community Updates
MiscKodi
Top comments
These things are made in China for like 75p each and then people are surprised when it turns out the quality control might not be top notch.
28 Comments
Thanks OP. That's scary. Lucky i went for a diff model.
These things are made in China for like 75p each and then people are surprised when it turns out the quality control might not be top notch.
rockin_matt

That's so strange because the exact same box in the photo almost blew my … That's so strange because the exact same box in the photo almost blew my tv up yesterday!

JEEZ! oO
so it a 4K android TV box, made in china, brand 'unknown'....that covers hundreds of thousands of boxes FFS!!
scaremongering to reduce sales of Kodi boxes?
I have the same box but its not ott but the box is exactly the same, what should I do?
rhi0811

I have the same box but its not ott but the box is exactly the same, what … I have the same box but its not ott but the box is exactly the same, what should I do? confused

Bin it. (_;)
https://media.tenor.com/images/370ce6c0acc27d6a5d996287638bcbf2/tenor.gif
rhi0811

I have the same box but its not ott but the box is exactly the same, what … I have the same box but its not ott but the box is exactly the same, what should I do? confused

I assume OP is referring exclusively to issues with the power supply, so nothing wrong with the box, just get a new credible 5V power supply rated minimum 2A with the correct size and polarity barrel connector to fit the socket on the box.
rhi0811

​Put it at the bottom of your garden with a gram of TNT strapped to it and detonate it
poolman

so it a 4K android TV box, made in china, brand 'unknown'....that covers … so it a 4K android TV box, made in china, brand 'unknown'....that covers hundreds of thousands of boxes FFS!!

I think most of these boxes use identical internal components and then they will just use slightly different cases branded with a different name.
Look for;
Brand - OTT
Model- MXQ
Probably Android version; 4.4 kitkat. (1gb memory and 8gb storage)
OTT manufacture many many models and are a very big name in China.
My advice is always go for a mid to high end model. Various chips sets abound but a good rule of thumb for me is go for at least 2gb ram as a minimum and try and get 16gb of storage. This gives plenty of headroom for kodi and any other programs you might add such as other apk's. You can easily add storage space in the form of memory sticks or SD cards. Personally the Nvidia shield TV box is the best possible option if you have the money.
no such thing as a kodi box.....(_;)
So the box is safe, its just the power supply. Suppose there's nothing stopping you using another appropriately rated adapter. On cheap Chinese stuff like this I very rarely use the supplied adapter especially if its going to be plugged into an expensive TV, I always go to my trusty box of wires, I always save the adapters from old tech, routers etc and use one of them.
rhi08113 h, 26 m ago

I have the same box but its not ott but the box is exactly the same, what …I have the same box but its not ott but the box is exactly the same, what should I do?

dont get near the power cable

switch off at the wall first

the trouble with these boxes is that they need the hard reset by power cable at least weekly ime
i read these stories and i tend to think it's nothing more than scare mongering from FACT and associated organisations - something akin to the old "Video piracy funds terrorism" ads.

I guess the strategy is to play up the fears of the less technically minded by convincing them that their box is either going to blow up, burn their house down, hack their computer and sleep with their sister. or all of the above.
Its uses a psu that outputs 5 volts at 2000mah. Think about it........ yeah thats right
Mine is an OTT box but model M8S. Similar enough to be effected, or do you think it's safe?
goonertillidie

IF you have this box, contact your seller for a refund

X)

kevshek

Its uses a psu that outputs 5 volts at 2000mah. Think about it........ … Its uses a psu that outputs 5 volts at 2000mah. Think about it........ yeah thats right

Is that same as 2 amps
yup
japes

scaremongering to reduce sales of Kodi boxes?

Ridiculous comment
HankHandsome6 h, 27 m ago

i read these stories and i tend to think it's nothing more than scare …i read these stories and i tend to think it's nothing more than scare mongering from FACT and associated organisations - something akin to the old "Video piracy funds terrorism" ads.I guess the strategy is to play up the fears of the less technically minded by convincing them that their box is either going to blow up, burn their house down, hack their computer and sleep with their sister. or all of the above.

Right. If you look up the actual source of this consumer warning for this specific brand and model of box (i.e. the weekly alerts of dangerous products issued by the European Commision), the preceding product warning is that of a dress posing choking hazards, and the one after that is of a specific tooth whitening strips not carrying a sufficient warning of the hydrogen peroxide content. But if you want to ignore safety warnings because of some imagined conspiracy with anti-piracy organisations, go ahead.
OTT is not a manufacturer or vendor. OTT means Over the Top in reference to delivering media via the Internet. Many Chinese vendors use the same packing materials for different boxes. Most devices are clones. With few exceptions, a brand name means nothing.
Rupert Murdoch started this rumour
OldEnglish

Bin it. (_;)

Don't bin them, as far as I'm aware it's only the power supply which is the issue so if you were to buy a universal power supply which has all the separate adaptors then that should be sufficient rather than binning them!
How about pay reasonable money for a well built unit in the first place? There are plenty of great android boxes on the market and it's worth paying for something with the reasxurance that there are some safety standards. My minix box is on all the time and regularly left on through the night.
Aky99

Look for;Brand - OTTModel- MXQProbably Android version; 4.4 kitkat. (1gb … Look for;Brand - OTTModel- MXQProbably Android version; 4.4 kitkat. (1gb memory and 8gb storage) OTT manufacture many many models and are a very big name in China. My advice is always go for a mid to high end model. Various chips sets abound but a good rule of thumb for me is go for at least 2gb ram as a minimum and try and get 16gb of storage. This gives plenty of headroom for kodi and any other programs you might add such as other apk's. You can easily add storage space in the form of memory sticks or SD cards. Personally the Nvidia shield TV box is the best possible option if you have the money.

I think an Amazon Fire Stick is good common ground and they're so cheap and readily available these days that I can't understand why people bother with these Chinese boxes at all.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants