Expired

port forwarding accessing home network from anywhere (how?] Virgin superhub

Found 23rd Nov 2014
Can anyone help I understand I have to create a static ip but virgin don't do this for consumers or enable dynamic dns I believe

I want to be able to access my macbook which is running plex

My dreambox sat box

And other files on my computer away from home

I have entered the router settings and opened ports (port forward) etc but they show closed when I run online software

For example my dreambox ip is

192.168.0.5 and its Port 80
My Macbook I've changed the lan ip to
192.168.0.40 and open ports 9 and 6 as this is commonly used by torrents and to wake the computer up (wake up lan)

But these are just local ip addresses
How I can I configure it so I can access the devices from anywhere

I don't understand no-ip. Com etc although I have entered the ip addresses in there

Can anyone please help

Thanks

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
19 Comments
They are private ip addresses.
You need the external ip of your gateway (superhub).
This will change every few days, so you need to check it in the morning before you leave home.
Can you not run dyndns on your him system and use that.
Not done it for a good few years so not even sure it exists, but if it does its some to setup.
Just checked dyndns isn't free anymore, maybe there are alternatives.
Sorry too busy to keep up with everything these days, but I'm sure if you search you'll find a similar solution
Can highly recommend http//fr…org
you don't actaully "need" dyndns its just a way getting your external ip and translating it to a web url like "me.mydomain.co.uk"

you could actually get round this by installing something like teamviewer on your mac and learning out how to retrieve you external ip from there.
oh and in case its not obvious you will still need to learn how to port forward, see portforward.com
You might not need dyndns but trying to keep up to speed with your ever changing dynamically assigned public address is simply insane if you ask me.

Port forward works a bit like this -

You have a public IP address assigned by your Internet provider.
You setup a service on a port number e.g remote desktop on port 3389 - you then build a rule in the router to forward that service traffic to a IP address of a host inside your private network.
codiak50

You might not need dyndns but trying to keep up to speed with your ever … You might not need dyndns but trying to keep up to speed with your ever changing dynamically assigned public address is simply insane if you ask me.Port forward works a bit like this - You have a public IP address assigned by your Internet provider. You setup a service on a port number e.g remote desktop on port 3389 - you then build a rule in the router to forward that service traffic to a IP address of a host inside your private network.

why would you need to keep up with it? just login via teamviewer from a pc or mac and get the ip. most of the free ddns providers are a pain now, with constant nags for boosting your account and many have renew dates you may forget and lose your domain.
maddogb

why would you need to keep up with it? just login via teamviewer from a … why would you need to keep up with it? just login via teamviewer from a pc or mac and get the ip. most of the free ddns providers are a pain now, with constant nags for boosting your account and many have renew dates you may forget and lose your domain.

Using TeamViewer would seem a little unessesary just in order to retrieve an IP address, unless you wanted to use some of its other features of course.

Agree on the dynamics dns providers point though, which is why I switched to freedns.afraid.org
gr8t1

They are private ip addresses.You need the external ip of your gateway … They are private ip addresses.You need the external ip of your gateway (superhub).This will change every few days, so you need to check it in the morning before you leave home.Can you not run dyndns on your him system and use that.Not done it for a good few years so not even sure it exists, but if it does its some to setup.

Virgin Media IP's are fairly static, mine hasn't changed for a year or more.
maddogb

why would you need to keep up with it? just login via teamviewer from a … why would you need to keep up with it? just login via teamviewer from a pc or mac and get the ip. most of the free ddns providers are a pain now, with constant nags for boosting your account and many have renew dates you may forget and lose your domain.

Overkill bringing team viewer into the mix, sorry if you disagree. And as for nag screens etc - even the BT hubs have native support for dynamic DNS services, I've not used a software client for one of these in years. The router does all the work including keeping the second active.
Just Google my ip to get your public ip. set up the appropriate ports on the router. Plex requires it's own port. Can't remember off the top of my head but I'll check when home. Don't worry about dynamic dns, they don't change that often and if it becomes a problem ask how much Virgin charge for a static one. Plus net do it for a fiver.
codiak50

Overkill bringing team viewer into the mix, sorry if you disagree. And … Overkill bringing team viewer into the mix, sorry if you disagree. And as for nag screens etc - even the BT hubs have native support for dynamic DNS services, I've not used a software client for one of these in years. The router does all the work including keeping the second active.

well you might be very lucky but so far none of the gadgets(routers/nas drives etc) i have purchased have supported "free" ddns providers which has meant paying or remembering to renew every once in a while.

Original Poster
enigmatik33

Just Google my ip to get your public ip. set up the appropriate ports on … Just Google my ip to get your public ip. set up the appropriate ports on the router. Plex requires it's own port. Can't remember off the top of my head but I'll check when home. Don't worry about dynamic dns, they don't change that often and if it becomes a problem ask how much Virgin charge for a static one. Plus net do it for a fiver.

the thing is i cant find the settings in the virgin superhub 2ac..
there is an option for port forwarding but the only IP address you can enter is the last digit for example its already pre-configured
192.168.0 X and i have to fill in the 'x'

so for example my macbook is 192.168.0.40 (changed it myself in the settings on computer)
my dreambox sat box is 192.168.0.5

and i can enter the ports i want linked to the above IP Addresses, however when i go to to a port checking website e.g

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

it shows its closed.
wakkaday

the thing is i cant find the settings in the virgin superhub 2ac..there … the thing is i cant find the settings in the virgin superhub 2ac..there is an option for port forwarding but the only IP address you can enter is the last digit for example its already pre-configured192.168.0 X and i have to fill in the 'x'so for example my macbook is 192.168.0.40 (changed it myself in the settings on computer)my dreambox sat box is 192.168.0.5 and i can enter the ports i want linked to the above IP Addresses, however when i go to to a port checking website e.ghttp://www.canyouseeme.org/it shows its closed.

it will depend on:

1. if the software you are using is set to actually use the port
2. nothing conflicts like your routers web admin page might be active and using port 80.
3.nothing else is blocking the port, this could even be the isp.
YOU CANNOT ENTER 192.168.***.*** at any public domain and hope for it to resolve a private IP address. it just cannot do it.
YOU NEED the public IP address of your system

use this link to find out your public IP then see if your ports are forwarded correctly.
Original Poster
so with the public ip (if i can confgiure the ports i want it to open)
can i access my services from outside local network? (it doesnt seem safe, if this ip address is public)
wakkaday

so with the public ip (if i can confgiure the ports i want it to open) … so with the public ip (if i can confgiure the ports i want it to open) can i access my services from outside local network? (it doesnt seem safe, if this ip address is public)

all internet ips are public just like your face is public when its out, doesn't mean anyone would want to do anything with it. it is what it is, the more worrying thing is opening ports
I give up..... Horse to water and all that......
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions