Expired

Port number part way through contract?

Found 26th Mar 2014
Hi Guys, quick question for you:

I am half way through my existing phone contract and no longer require the service. Rather than cancelling the contract (etc etc) is there any chance of porting my partners existing PAYG number onto this contract?

I expect the answer to be no as I assume your obliged to port an existing number when you initially take out the contract?

Thanks in advance... :-)

10 Comments

it depends on the network. some do, like O2, at anytime but companies like vodaphone don't.

Are you wanting to keep the contract number as well? If so then it won't be possible. But if you're not bothered about the contact number, then for most networks, they will happily port another number.
I have done with O2 and T-Mobile but, like swashey says, Vodafone won't. Well, they didn't use to but, no harm in asking if other networks allow it and it's better for them to keep you as a customer. Especially Vodafone actually as they take the vat off the bill if you do.
Which network are you with?

Original Poster

Thanks swashey, i'm with EE

bex85: Sounds promising as I don't want to retain the existing contract number at all. If I can retain the existing contract by just porting my partners phone then great news.

Thankyou to you both.

Banned

If your with EE they will charge you an early termination fee equivalent to the balance of the contract before they will release your PAC code. EE are *****rs

I just did it today with t mobile and I'm half way into my contract

Original Poster

damo1972

If your with EE they will charge you an early termination fee equivalent … If your with EE they will charge you an early termination fee equivalent to the balance of the contract before they will release your PAC code. EE are *****rs

Wow that is a big termination charge...

Thanks damo1972 & MR1123 for your comments
Edited by: "larder" 27th Mar 2014

Mod

damo1972

If your with EE they will charge you an early termination fee equivalent … If your with EE they will charge you an early termination fee equivalent to the balance of the contract before they will release your PAC code. EE are *****rs

You've misread the question. The OP has a PAYG sim. They want to port this PAYG number onto an existing contract mid-term.

Original Poster

BeerDrinker

You've misread the question. The OP has a PAYG sim. They want to port … You've misread the question. The OP has a PAYG sim. They want to port this PAYG number onto an existing contract mid-term.

Thanks BeerDrinker - I also needed reminding myself!! (_;)

In this case I assume EE won't charge me to bring across the PAYG number onto an existing contract?
Edited by: "larder" 27th Mar 2014

No they won't charge you to change the number from a payg number. Only if you end the contract early do you get charged.

For the record, every network charges you the equivalent of your contract balance, it's not limited to EE. Vodafone however take the VAT off and another 2%. So say you had 5 months left of a £20 tariff, everyone apart from Vodafone would charge you £100, Vodafone will take the VAT off, so £80 then take a further 2% off of that (not sure what that's for though) so £78.40. Irrelevant to the question in hand but, worth knowing :). I recently asked if T-Mobile did the same as I know Three and O2 don't and T-Mob/Orange/EE don't :(.

Original Poster

Nice one bex85 appreciate your help. Now lets implement this!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions