Groups

Portable air conditioner

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good air conditioners for home use? I want a portable one as don't want to have to fit in the wall etc. I know they need hoses going out of the window which is fine. Anything upwards of 9000 BTU really, I want one that's decent but not too expensive as obviously British summers don't last that long. I looked at the TroTec 3500 x on ManoMano which is 12000 BTU but there are no reviews and seems it's coming from Germany so if I have any issues it's likely to be a bit of a nightmare.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

22 Comments

Hss rent them out might b better than storing it

Original Poster

justanothercid

Hss?

Original Poster

justanothercid

Just googled them, their lowest end unit is £250 a week! That's mad

The weather will be back to normal again next week fam

I have a 9000BTU Trotec. Not really impressed, it doesn't seem very powerful - however their support team seems (so far) responsive in trying to sort it out whether it's faulty.

Also have one of these, but looks like they don't sell it online any more:
    climatecenter.co.uk/pro…ly/

I know it's only for a week here and there - but personally if it's too hot then I can't sleep, and staying in a hotel costs a lot more than just biting the bullet and getting one. We go through the same thing every summer (in fact they seem to be getting hotter and hotter each time), so you know you'll want it again soon enough. I don't really see the point in suffering while pretending it's not a big deal because it won't last forever.

Original Poster

Muir

I have a 9000BTU Trotec. Not really impressed, it doesn't seem very … I have a 9000BTU Trotec. Not really impressed, it doesn't seem very powerful - however their support team seems (so far) responsive in trying to sort it out whether it's faulty.Also have one of these, but looks like they don't sell it online any more:http://www.climatecenter.co.uk/product/aspen-xtra-12000btu-mobile-cooling-only/I know it's only for a week here and there - but personally if it's too hot then I can't sleep, and staying in a hotel costs a lot more than just biting the bullet and getting one. We go through the same thing every summer (in fact they seem to be getting hotter and hotter each time), so you know you'll want it again soon enough. I don't really see the point in suffering while pretending it's not a big deal because it won't last forever.

I'm the same, I get too hot and can't sleep so I'd rather have one. Where did you get your trotec from?

Original Poster

ame2607

Budget one here - http://www.screwfix.com/p/11ltr-air-cooler/4426kGot a … Budget one here - http://www.screwfix.com/p/11ltr-air-cooler/4426kGot a similar one last year

That's an air cooler I have one and they don't have anywhere near an air conditioning effect unfortunately.

Phene6 m ago

I'm the same, I get too hot and can't sleep so I'd rather have one. Where …I'm the same, I get too hot and can't sleep so I'd rather have one. Where did you get your trotec from?

The Trotec store on eBay. It's decent enough in that it makes the nights bearable, and left alone for a couple hours the room does get cool, I just expected a 9,000BTU unit to do more in a flat-sized bedroom.

Original Poster

Muir

The Trotec store on eBay. It's decent enough in that it makes the nights … The Trotec store on eBay. It's decent enough in that it makes the nights bearable, and left alone for a couple hours the room does get cool, I just expected a 9,000BTU unit to do more in a flat-sized bedroom.

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Phene20 m ago

How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

I got this one, but it was £225 from Trotec (can't see it offered by them currently).
    ebay.co.uk/itm…hDT

Original Poster

Muir

I got this one, but it was £225 from Trotec (can't see it offered by them … I got this one, but it was £225 from Trotec (can't see it offered by them currently).http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EEfC-A-65m3-2-0kW-PORTABLE-AIR-CONDITIONER-TROTEC-PAC-2000S-/252885109971?epid=789099248&hash=item3ae1208cd3:g:1ZcAAOSwzqFY-hDT

So you say their support is ok? I called them as a tester and the lady was German and struggling to speak English. Maybe I'll order the 3500x PAC it's got a nice BTU and quite cheap.

Seems pretty cheap for what looks like a non faulty 14 day customer return...

ebay.co.uk/itm…275

I got a non branded portable air conditioner from B&Q over 15 years ago and its still going strong! One of the best £200 or so I ever spent

Phene2 h, 9 m ago

So you say their support is ok? I called them as a tester and the lady was …So you say their support is ok? I called them as a tester and the lady was German and struggling to speak English. Maybe I'll order the 3500x PAC it's got a nice BTU and quite cheap.

I haven't called them, but email or using the eBay messaging system usually had responses within a day or so. Always a guy named Christian who was understandable, understood me and seemed to have fairly sensible suggestions. Like I said it hasn't got to the stage where I've needed a repair or exchange yet. He did reinforce several times that they have a 2-year warranty (not sure who pays for it to be shipped to Germany if faulty).

Original Poster

markystarky

Seems pretty cheap for what looks like a non faulty 14 day customer … Seems pretty cheap for what looks like a non faulty 14 day customer return...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Challenge-Local-Air-Conditioner-8000BTU-2-Fan-Speed-Air-Conditioning-Unit-/282530372291?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275I got a non branded portable air conditioner from B&Q over 15 years ago and its still going strong! One of the best £200 or so I ever spent

I wish I had ordered one back then, Searching "Air Conditioner" on here and all the deals are like £80 for 12000 BTU... then you see the date and it says 1d ago, click on it thinking it means 1 day but its actually 1 decade :'(!!!

Original Poster

Muir

I haven't called them, but email or using the eBay messaging system … I haven't called them, but email or using the eBay messaging system usually had responses within a day or so. Always a guy named Christian who was understandable, understood me and seemed to have fairly sensible suggestions. Like I said it hasn't got to the stage where I've needed a repair or exchange yet. He did reinforce several times that they have a 2-year warranty (not sure who pays for it to be shipped to Germany if faulty).

Good to hear that they are responsive, gonna order one unless I can find one with a better price. Shame the delivery is 10-12 days though

Original Poster

SilverBlack

Maplin have a cheap one just now … Maplin have a cheap one just now http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/portable-air-con-a71wy

nearest one is 150 miles away

Phene

nearest one is 150 miles away

260 miles away for me, the Bliss B&Q one gets good reviews diy.com/dep…ing

I had the previous version of this when they were £350 and it worked very well albeit noisy but i think they are all as noisy.

Original Poster

SilverBlack

260 miles away for me, the Bliss B&Q one gets good reviews … 260 miles away for me, the Bliss B&Q one gets good reviews http://www.diy.com/departments/blyss-3-speed-mobile-air-conditioner/1263260_BQ.prd?MobileNav_CoolingI had the previous version of this when they were £350 and it worked very well albeit noisy but i think they are all as noisy.

wonder If I can get the 10% off of this on a Wednesday

Phene

wonder If I can get the 10% off of this on a Wednesday

Should be fine if it's instore, i think you can get the discount online too.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…11
      2. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      3. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      4. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134

See more discussions