Portable Electric Heater Suggestions Please

Posted 18th Nov
Hello Savvy Shoppers

I would like to buy 2 portable electric heater (its got to be electric as the house doesn't have gas connection) because despite the wall heaters the house feels cold sometimes. My idea is to have some heaters which is lightweight hence can move them around easily. Also not looking at those cheap auto cut off/on ones as they keep cutting out the moment they get hot.

I am willing to pay upto £250 bucks each provided the heaters are good, can maintain a set temperature and are preferrably controllable with alexa or the likes.

Thanks a bunch for your suggestions and pointers here.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Get a oil heater from Tesco 35 quid. Bought one recently does more than the job light and portable too
Legisaltion requires every electric heater sold since Jan 2018 to have that annoying "auto cut off/on" feature (aka thermostat).
Don't bother with the halogen ones, they're useless unless you have them so close that you get sunburn.
I've done the cheap ones and whilst they're okay for short term, I think you get what you pay for. I ended up with a couple of these argos.co.uk/pro…601 I did get them for less than this so well worth shopping around. They come with a digital controller as well.
Dimplex or De'Longhi oil filled radiators and with Dimplex try the oil-free radiators too.
£250 budget is fine. They are wheeled so portable.
Might be abit over the budget but the Dyson Hot/Cool Fan Heaters have great reviews online, also has a timer so don't have to worry about annoying shut offs.
Alexandralocks19/11/2019 00:13

Might be abit over the budget but the Dyson Hot/Cool Fan Heaters have …Might be abit over the budget but the Dyson Hot/Cool Fan Heaters have great reviews online, also has a timer so don't have to worry about annoying shut offs.

Lol. All the Dyson H+C models have those pesky thermostats, so you still "have to worry about annoying shut offs" regardless of paying silly money for an oscillating fan in a cute box.
AndyRoyd18/11/2019 23:33

Legisaltion requires every electric heater sold since Jan 2018 to have …Legisaltion requires every electric heater sold since Jan 2018 to have that annoying "auto cut off/on" feature (aka thermostat).

So i meant like these ones despite what you set them on just keep going off all the time amazon.co.uk/MP-…CFZ I would like something that only goes off when the temperature of the room is above a set desired temperature.
AndyRoyd19/11/2019 02:45

Lol. All the Dyson H+C models have those pesky thermostats, so you still …Lol. All the Dyson H+C models have those pesky thermostats, so you still "have to worry about annoying shut offs" regardless of paying silly money for an oscillating fan in a cute box.

So the dyson ones are no good then? Keep hearing them mentioned all the time, so was thinking they are good.
If you own/intend staying in the property is it worth considering having a new heating system with electric radiators? I don't know anything about them, but often see them advertised. If the current ones aren't sufficient then it might be worth looking into given that there is no gas supply.
Can the OP address the reasons for cold?

IE they are an unusually cold (thin blooded) person.
The house leaks air worse than the titanic leaked water?
The insulation of the house is negligible (in which case buy & cut some insulation to super-lag the loft to keep heat in).

Age of property old victorian / badly built new build still under warranty?
matwalaboy19/11/2019 06:49

So i meant like these ones despite what you set them on just keep going …So i meant like these ones despite what you set them on just keep going off all the time https://www.amazon.co.uk/MP-Essentials-Convector-Radiator-Standing/dp/B01M26SCFZ I would like something that only goes off when the temperature of the room is above a set desired temperature.

Does your existing convector heater have an integral fan or not?
matwalaboy19/11/2019 06:49

So the dyson ones are no good then? Keep hearing them mentioned all the …So the dyson ones are no good then? Keep hearing them mentioned all the time, so was thinking they are good.

The timer can be set for up to 9hrs I would say that it's top of the range. Check the reviews they speak for themselves.
Edited by: "Alexandralocks" 19th Nov
oil filled ones are cheaper to run, get those ones. they don't cost much either.
mutley119/11/2019 14:51

oil filled ones are cheaper to run...

Priceless. Literally.
they could be expensive to run

How about wearing more clothes?
Mr_Gus19/11/2019 10:19

Can the OP address the reasons for cold?IE they are an unusually cold …Can the OP address the reasons for cold?IE they are an unusually cold (thin blooded) person.The house leaks air worse than the titanic leaked water?The insulation of the house is negligible (in which case buy & cut some insulation to super-lag the loft to keep heat in).Age of property old victorian / badly built new build still under warranty?

Its the last point I think - the insulation is pretty bad in the house. Its not an old mid terrace house actually (built in the mid 1990s) - when the electric heaters installed on the walls (new ones from last year) are on the place feels better, but not warm enough and I am hoping to supplement that with these heaters I request some help finding. Thanks.
Well, heat will stay longer the better the insulation if its only filled to 1990's depth then that is garbage, would really help if you topped it up your walls my be simply bare voids / filled with straw chaff (seen it myself).

prefer a castor wheeled oil rad with thermostat & timer & a delonghi dragon 4 S if you want a bit more main room FAST heat up.
Not aware of any Alexa units. might want to consider max wattage capability smart plugs & leave the settings & simply control via smart wall-plug ..gotta be cheaper.

The delonghi dragon 4 S starts pumping heat v. quickly & is technically marginally money saving via the eco setting (though delonghi rads costs a bomb)

NB I did buy a smart plug that is capable of the current draw of a big domestic rad (allegedly) for another (older) on / off thermostaticaly controlled portable rad.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 20th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants