Groups

portable hard drive advice

Can anyone please recommend a hard drive for me? It's solely for photos. 7 years worth of children's pictures. I have no idea what brands are good or what size storage I would need. Any help would be really appreciated.

15 Comments

I stopped backing up on hard-drives and DVDs a while back, just for the fact if there is a house fire (yes a big if I know) or the drive corrupts some how, you loose everything, so I back up on the cloud. I use google photos which is free or google drive. I also use 2 step verification to make sure its secure.

If I was to use a hard drive I would go Western Digital, seagate have seem to lost their game on quality these days.
    Edited by: "stoneblade" 6th Jun

stoneblade

I stopped backing up on hard-drives and DVDs a while back, just for the … I stopped backing up on hard-drives and DVDs a while back, just for the fact if there is a house fire (yes a big if I know) or the drive corrupts some how, you loose everything, so I back up on the cloud. I use google photos which is free or google drive. I also use 2 step verification to make sure its secure. If I was to use a hard drive I would go Western Digital, seagate have seem to lost their game on quality these days.

Top Advice above and would also be western digital for me also as they have been the best for my line of work.

Just pay a subscription to some cloud storage. I have it with Google, Apple and Microsoft. Doesnt come to all that much and the free ones may even be enough for you. Then upload everything. I used to store on HArd Drives and had one fail on me. Then I bough a NAS which was excellent for a good many years and numerous power cuts have killed that now too. Just depends on what value you put on your pics.

stoneblade20 m ago

I stopped backing up on hard-drives and DVDs a while back, just for the …I stopped backing up on hard-drives and DVDs a while back, just for the fact if there is a house fire (yes a big if I know) or the drive corrupts some how, you loose everything, so I back up on the cloud. I use google photos which is free or google drive. I also use 2 step verification to make sure its secure. If I was to use a hard drive I would go Western Digital, seagate have seem to lost their game on quality these days.

How do you think the cloud stores data? on hard drives that areaccessible through the internet witch in a nut shell is how that cloud works.

d3fult_7

How do you think the cloud stores data? on hard drives that areaccessible … How do you think the cloud stores data? on hard drives that areaccessible through the internet witch in a nut shell is how that cloud works.

Yeah of course they do, but they store on loads of back up systems which are in different data centers around the world, so when 1 fails the others take over never fully loosing said data. If you want the security and peace of mind then the cloud is the better choice.
    Edited by: "stoneblade" 6th Jun

Store copies of your pics on three hard drives and keep at different locations.

Then replace any failed or damaged hard drives.

I steer well clear of any Seagate drives.

Blevva

Can anyone please recommend a hard drive for me? It's solely for photos. … Can anyone please recommend a hard drive for me? It's solely for photos. 7 years worth of children's pictures. I have no idea what brands are good or what size storage I would need. Any help would be really appreciated.

You may already have access to a cloud-based photo storage service if you have Amazon Prime? Annual Prime membership includes "unlimited photo storage" so maybe even if you don't have Prime, it may be worth considering to also benefit from the other Prime features such as inclusive same/1day Amazon deliveries, inclusive Amazon Video, inclusive Amazon Prime Reading, etc amazon.co.uk/b?_…031

But if you want better security just get a Synology NAS and have a home cloud, yes you can't access from anywhere in the world but no one will be able to hack it unless they are on your network. I agree that cloud systems such as Amazon and Apple have good, tight security but whatever you put online is hackable with enough time so that why its better to have it on a local network.

I've been running a "WD My Passport Ultra 3TB" for 2 years, not the new ugly one the original one and can't fault it.

I've just bought the Metal version as I couldn't get the previous one I have, prefer the other over the Metal as it's quieter.

This version

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61%2B7xdt2M3L._SX522_.jpg

Edited by: "4Real2016" 6th Jun

d3fult_7

But if you want better security just get a Synology NAS and have a home … But if you want better security just get a Synology NAS and have a home cloud, yes you can't access from anywhere in the world but no one will be able to hack it unless they are on your network. I agree that cloud systems such as Amazon and Apple have good, tight security but whatever you put online is hackable with enough time so that why its better to have it on a local network.

I totally agree with you, but it can be said about personal drives in a house, someone breaks in and steals the back up drives, some are worth £50 to some burglars tech is easy to shift. No ones data is totally secure be it at home, on a personal NAS (if its connected to the internet, or stolen), USB stick or on a cloud server. Its all down to personal preference, I am happy with the security on google, if it gets hacked then Google is accountable, a personal drive that fails is your own issue sadly. Swings and roundabouts.

What size drive?
    Depends on how many photos and the resolution. If you're using a phone or a fairly ordinary camera, each picture will be about 5MB. With fancier cameras, the pictures might be twice as big. 200 pictures = 1000MB or 1GB*. 1TB (that's 1 Terabyte) is 1000GB* or 200,000 pictures. A 1TB external hard drive will cost you £50-60 and should give you plenty of room.

(*yes 1GB is not exactly 1000MB. But it's close enough to give a guide about how many pictures you can store)

If it's that important then offsite and onsite is probably the best option.

stoneblade

I stopped backing up on hard-drives and DVDs a while back, just for the … I stopped backing up on hard-drives and DVDs a while back, just for the fact if there is a house fire (yes a big if I know) or the drive corrupts some how, you loose everything, so I back up on the cloud. I use google photos which is free or google drive. I also use 2 step verification to make sure its secure. If I was to use a hard drive I would go Western Digital, seagate have seem to lost their game on quality these days.

They recommend backing up to 2 hardrives, just in case one fails, then you have the other, so worth backing to the the cloud as well as a spare hard drive, just in case .

d3fult_7

But if you want better security just get a Synology NAS and have a home … But if you want better security just get a Synology NAS and have a home cloud, yes you can't access from anywhere in the world but no one will be able to hack it unless they are on your network. I agree that cloud systems such as Amazon and Apple have good, tight security but whatever you put online is hackable with enough time so that why its better to have it on a local network.

If the Synology is entirely based on the user's hardware to store the data, it is wholly inadequate on it's own.

Original Poster

Thanks very much guys! Can i ask please, is there an average life span on portable hard drives at all? I think that's what will suit me best but thank you for all the suggestions. I dont do anything online, no social media etc, im bit of a privacy geek so the idea of having my family photos on a 'cloud' kind of frightens me security wise.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?1415
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927365
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767287
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7141346

See more discussions