Portable room heaters - Suggestions??

Found 25th Feb
Hi

I'm looking to buy a portable room heater.
Any suggestions on which one to buy?

Thanks

15 Comments

I bought an oil filled Swan radiator from Very last year. It has wheels which makes moving it from room to room easy and heats the room really quickly too.

Original Poster

KGorman

I bought an oil filled Swan radiator from Very last year. It has wheels … I bought an oil filled Swan radiator from Very last year. It has wheels which makes moving it from room to room easy and heats the room really quickly too.

Thanks. A friend of mine has the same. But does it affect the electric charges??

vassy4u

Thanks. A friend of mine has the same. But does it affect the electric … Thanks. A friend of mine has the same. But does it affect the electric charges??

​I've found it really cheap to run tbh. Well worth the money paid. Mine has a timer function too which is really handy.

Oil filled radiator. This one is on clearance and a good price £29.99 screwfix.com/p/h…HAQ

Original Poster

wayners

Oil filled radiator. This one is on clearance and a good price £29.99 … Oil filled radiator. This one is on clearance and a good price £29.99 http://www.screwfix.com/p/hd943-7tq-freestanding-oil-filled-radiator-600-1200-1500w/1724P?kpid=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=GoogleLocal-_-Datafeed-_-Heating%20and%20Plumbing&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=Cj0KEQiA88TFBRDYrOPKuvfY2pIBEiQA97Z8MWrFd-Tz9vmSm2whGpjxvcmyoBQhkXXwaX_KPdCI1YQaAqB68P8HAQ

I just saw the review of this from YouTube. Great timing. Thanks

I like the ones with a fan in them the oil filled or ok but take abit of time to warmup about 30-40mins unless things have changed these days.

vassy4u

Thanks. A friend of mine has the same. But does it affect the electric … Thanks. A friend of mine has the same. But does it affect the electric charges??

All electric-based heaters will cost virtually the same to run per unit of consumed power. Heaters with thermostats may cost less to run than those without, but only if the set temperature is reached. Consider the properties of different electric heaters: fan heaters blow instant-on heat in one direction before gradually heating the room space; convector heaters tend to dissipate their heat primarily upwards to apply heat to the room space from top to bottom; oil-filled radiators tend to disperse heat via a mixture of radiation and convection and take a while to produce heat and continue to gradually disperse the stored heat when turned off. Halogen heaters tend to be all-radiation. The fan heater and halogen heater are the most effective for instant heat. The oil-filled can take a while to heat a room and be wasteful if not turned off a reasonable period prior to the heat requirement ceasing. Some peeps don't like fan heaters due to noise and the drying effect of the moving air which is less pronounced (but still present) with other methods. Some peeps say convection and oil-filled take too long to provide a heat benefit. Make your choice appropriately.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

All electric-based heaters will cost virtually the same to run per unit … All electric-based heaters will cost virtually the same to run per unit of consumed power. Heaters with thermostats may cost less to run than those without, but only if the set temperature is reached. Consider the properties of different electric heaters: fan heaters blow instant-on heat in one direction before gradually heating the room space; convector heaters tend to dissipate their heat primarily upwards to apply heat to the room space from top to bottom; oil-filled radiators tend to disperse heat via a mixture of radiation and convection and take a while to produce heat and continue to gradually disperse the stored heat when turned off. Halogen heaters tend to be all-radiation. The fan heater and halogen heater are the most effective for instant heat. The oil-filled can take a while to heat a room and be wasteful if not turned off a reasonable period prior to the heat requirement ceasing. Some peeps don't like fan heaters due to noise and the drying effect of the moving air which is less pronounced (but still present) with other methods. Some peeps say convection and oil-filled take too long to provide a heat benefit. Make your choice appropriately.

Thanks Andy for taking time to explain much appreciated

halogen and fan give instant heat but as soon as you switch off the room is cold again. a bit like if you have a hot shower in a cold room. it's hot in the shower and then colllld as soon as you step out. halogen are also stupidly bright and affect watching tv as they are so bright.

oil is slower to heat but last longer. I have all of them and use oil unless it's necessary now like you have just come back from a holiday and it is freezing..
Edited by: "jonnithomas" 26th Feb

Original Poster

jonnithomas

halogen and fan give instant heat but as soon as you switch off the room … halogen and fan give instant heat but as soon as you switch off the room is cold again. a bit like if you have a hot shower in a cold room. it's hot in the shower and then colllld as soon as you step out. halogen are also stupidly bright and affect watching tv as they are so bright.oil is slower to heat but last longer. I have all of them and use oil unless it's necessary now like you have just come back from a holiday.

Thanks.. I'm just looking for a oil filled one.. screwfix has a good one for £30.. can't find anything else near

get one with a timer and thermostat. far more flexible.

jonnithomas

halogen and fan give instant heat but as soon as you switch off the room … halogen and fan give instant heat but as soon as you switch off the room is cold again. a bit like if you have a hot shower in a cold room. it's hot in the shower and then colllld as soon as you step out. halogen are also stupidly bright and affect watching tv as they are so bright.oil is slower to heat but last longer. I have all of them and use oil unless it's necessary now like you have just come back from a holiday and it is freezing..

Strange analogy considering most folks would want to get into an instantly hot shower rather than a cold shower that takes 10minutes+ to heat up, by which time the heat requirement would have ceased anyway

PRO ELEC PEL00485 Portable White 2kW Oil Filled Radiator With 9 Fins, black or white £26.50.
cpc.farnell.com/pro…541
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition47382
    2. Win free gin for a year88
    3. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…44
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414

See more discussions