Portal: First Slice (PC Game) FREE for Nvidia card owners via Steam

Found 9th Jan 2008
The most recent Steam Hardware Survey shows more Steam gamers play on NVIDIA GeForce hardware than any other graphics platform. In an effort to further support this popular PC gaming configuration - Steam games plus NVIDIA hardware - Valve and NVIDIA have entered into an agreement to collaborate on development, distribution, events, and more.

Effective immediately, all NVIDIA gamers may receive a free copy of Portal: First Slice, a special version of the award-winning new game from Valve, by visiting steamgames.com/nvidia and Taking the test. Steam will then auto-detect the presence of NVIDIA hardware and make Portal: First Slice available immediately, free of charge. To make it easy for all NVIDIA customers to redeem this offer, a link to the Steam offer will also be included in all NVIDIA drivers.

steamgames.com/nvidia

NB this is a new "extended" demo version of the full Portal game, not the full version itself.

15 Comments

Oooh nice! It's a pretty good game too! Really addictive and it puzzles give your brain a workout!

Original Poster

Not sure if I should have posted this under Deals, so more people saw it by default on the new site.... oh well, it is technically a freebie

Moved to misc as we generally do not allow downloads as freebies...

Do you reckon this would work:
If you don't have a NVIDIA gfx card go round a mates, log on to steam on his pc.
Get portal on your games list. Go home, log onto Steam on your pc and download portal from your games list?

I'm on a mac but I can run windows if this trick works!

Thanks to OP, downloding now!

emmajk42: Steam is a buying platform online - you can buy PC games, this is a free offer so I would say a HOT DEAL

Original Poster

emmajk42;1437490

Moved to misc as we generally do not allow downloads as freebies...

It's technically a free online purchase, as Steam is used to sell Half Life 2, sub episodes, etc ... :thumbsup:

Oh you might wanna add that it's usually $19.00 to buy to your OP.

Original Poster

Magic_monkey;1437504

Oh you might wanna add that it's usually $19.00 to buy to your OP.

Thanks - have edited

Original Poster

Sorry guys and gals, looks like First Slice isn't the full game, merely an "extended demo" made from the existing Portal title

]Wired.com article

Guys, I know what steam is... it is still a free download of this game... which we do not allow in freebies.

jcooper;1437547

Sorry guys and gals, looks like First Slice isn't the full game, merely … Sorry guys and gals, looks like First Slice isn't the full game, merely an "extended demo" made from the existing Portal title

Gah, I was *so* excited when I saw the thread title. :cry:

Thanks for letting us know it's only a demo.

Loved Portal. Unfortunately, just after i completed it there was a Steam update and ever since then every time i launch Steam i get a blue screen of death on my PC :?

If you already have Orange Box or Portal installed, then Portal First Slice will not show up in your games list

her0n;1438644

If you already have Orange Box or Portal installed, then Portal First … If you already have Orange Box or Portal installed, then Portal First Slice will not show up in your games list

Why would you want it to? Its a extended demo of a game you already have! :giggle: :giggle:

Anyone know what the actual minimum specs are for Portal?
(that is, what it will really run on, rather than what is quoted - I stopped looking at those a long time ago as they usually bear no resemblance to reality )

Lost Coast complained, but ran happily (Athlon 850 / 512MB/ Ti200 is well below their recommended spec) but Portal simply refused to do anything

I shoud probably hold off on the Orange Box for now....
Post a comment
@
    Text