Groups

Porting numbers to Vodaphone

Just a word of caution to anyone who plans on moving to Vodaphone and then porting their number. Most of the cheap deals do not allow number porting onto Vodaphone. The only online retailers I have found willing to do a port are from the carphone warehouse and only if you give them the details at the point you place the order. This is a limitation of Vodaphone that you should be aware of.

Ducky, is it worth highlighting this limitation so nobody gets caught out?

16 Comments

NOTE: you can always port a number into an exsiting line. it doesn't have to be done at the begining of the contract.

doing through retailler, they often have limitations and charge for admin fee, e.g. mobileshop is £10, and they don't always get things right!

i find it a lot easier, flexible to port the number myself and not cost is involved!

1. get your PAC number from provider,
    2. phone the distination line provider customer service and give them the PAC number. they will give you the exact date of migration, normally is 7days.
    3. on the 7th day the old line will no longer work, number transferred to destination line. done.

DIY also allows you to start a value deal contract while you are still on your old one. once your old one is done, transfer the number to the deal you got eariler. there is only a few hours of black-out time, which there will always be if you are transferring. the important thing is everything is under your control.

Original Poster

I didn't think this was the case. Most of the retailers providing free deals over 12 months specifically state in their T's & C's that you can't port onto Vodaphone. I even phoned one to ask and they confirmed. Apparently, Vodaphone cannot port numbers after the contract begins.

[SIZE=2]I heard O2 are the same and that you can't port your number to them either[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]that sucks[/SIZE]

Original Poster

I found the following chart on the e2save site very useful in determining whether porting is possible - you are correct about O2:

[COLOR=#94954f]]http//ww…htm[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]I also found it interesting that with 3, you only port your old number for voice and messaging, Video retains the new 3 number.[/COLOR]

Can I just ask a question?

If I port my number from an O2 PAYG to a cheap cashback deal, will I then have my old number but on my new monthly contract?

Cheers.

Joss

Can I just ask a question?If I port my number from an O2 PAYG to a cheap … Can I just ask a question?If I port my number from an O2 PAYG to a cheap cashback deal, will I then have my old number but on my new monthly contract?Cheers.

correct. follow the steps in ]post #2.

however, i am not sure if you can port from O2 PAYG to O2 contract. to any other network should be fine.

you need to be aware when port into:
    O2 direct only allows port in within 30days since connection,
    CPW O2 only allows port in at connection.

also when you are connecting into voda, although you can port in, it voids your cashback, e.g. cnm, pbd etc.

just got this PM, thought it would be good to share my experience.

Mattitude

First off, thanks for the useful info :)Secondly, the thing I am curious … First off, thanks for the useful info :)Secondly, the thing I am curious about is the cancelling of the contract with the old provider.I mean - would I have to ask for my PAC code and say I wanted to discontinue my contract also (it'd be outside the period obviously), or would I only ask for the PAC code, and once it has been transferred over, then phone up to cancel the old contract (and immediately at that)?Thanks for any clarification you can provide

all networks require 30day notice to do anything involving you leaving, most accept verbal, i.e. via phone.

just to clarify, request a PAC and terminating a line are two mutually exclusive operations.

termination means the line will be terminated at a given date after the 30day notice. e.g. call to provide notice on 24/09, 23/10 will be the earliest date of termination.

requesting a PAC could allow you to take your number within a period since the PAC is issued (normally 30days), into another network. e.g. if the PAC is issued on 24/09, 23/10 will be the latest date you can use it. and technically 23/10 is the date when you can leave (completing the port) by the 30day notice. some networks will charge you rental until this date, some will also charge you extra if this date is earlier than the end of your contract. hint: orange is really strict on this. 3 is very easy about it. the letter send by the network containing the PAC will explain all the rules.

at the day when your port is completed, your line will be automatically terminated. you may however choose not to use the PAC at all and you will stay connected. hence they are mutually exclusive.

my suggestion of using the PAC:
    day-30 to end of your contract, notify network for PAC, most issue instantly,
    day-7 to end of your contract, use the PAC,
    day0 PAC complete, old line disconnected with 30days notice.

So just to make sure:

1. 30 days before the contract is up, ask the network for the PAC code, and to terminate the contract at the end of the 30 days.
    2. 7 days before the contract is up, phone the network I want to go on, and ask give them the PAC code.
    3. Date of contract being up, contract is terminated AND number is on new network.

Correct?

(Incidentally, since the network I want to go on, would be PAYG (O2) and they charge for talking to an advisor, would it mean it would be best to phone from a landline to their customer services, or would it be topping up on the number of the O2 sim card at the time, phoning customer services that way, and the credit would get transferred over to the ported number?)

(Also, it is a general rule to ask someone before pasting the contents of a pm, but since it's clarification that will help everyone, I don't mind on this occasion.)

I just connected to vodafone... then rang them with my puc to get my number transferred, and they said a big fat NO.

emmajk42

I just connected to vodafone... then rang them with my puc to get my … I just connected to vodafone... then rang them with my puc to get my number transferred, and they said a big fat NO.

puc, ermmmm I think you mean PAC.
    Vodaphone is very strange about porting your number, a lot of sites let you do it at sign up only, after that it's too late.
    Three are so laid back, I ported one number over to then in month 9 of a 12 month contract.

dinosteveus

puc, ermmmm I think you mean PAC. Vodaphone is very strange about porting … puc, ermmmm I think you mean PAC. Vodaphone is very strange about porting your number, a lot of sites let you do it at sign up only, after that it's too late.Three are so laid back, I ported one number over to then in month 9 of a 12 month contract.

Yeah that's what I meant. the gal on the phone advised me to return the handset, cancel the contract, then start a new one. Unbelieveable.

Thanks for the info hotdealseeker - much appreciated.

Can anyone who has successfully transferred their existing number to a cashback deal please post which company / provider they have done it with?

(Sorry to hear about your experience Emma - I nearly went for the same deal as you...pleased I didn't now).

Joss

Thanks for the info hotdealseeker - much appreciated.Can anyone who has … Thanks for the info hotdealseeker - much appreciated.Can anyone who has successfully transferred their existing number to a cashback deal please post which company / provider they have done it with?(Sorry to hear about your experience Emma - I nearly went for the same deal as you...pleased I didn't now).

Don't understand the question.
    You can port your number without it affecting your cashback deal. Who said otherwise?
    All you have to do is send the bills in with your old number and the new one, also a letter confirming porting if you get one.

dinosteveus

Don't understand the question.You can port your number without it … Don't understand the question.You can port your number without it affecting your cashback deal. Who said otherwise?All you have to do is send the bills in with your old number and the new one, also a letter confirming porting if you get one.

Well, Emma was unable to port her number and other posts have mentioned that porting invalidates the cashback offer.

All I'm asking for is feedback from others who have managed to switch numbers but retained the cashback deal, a simple who's who guide of the best companies.

It might be useful to others as well as myself.

Mattitude

1. 30 days before the contract is up, ask the network for the PAC code, … 1. 30 days before the contract is up, ask the network for the PAC code, and to terminate the contract at the end of the 30 days.Correct?

like i said they are mutually excusive, i.e. one of the other, if you ask both PAC will overide, e.g. if you don't port your number you stay.

Mattitude

(Incidentally, since the network I want to go on, would be PAYG (O2) and … (Incidentally, since the network I want to go on, would be PAYG (O2) and they charge for talking to an advisor, would it mean it would be best to phone from a landline to their customer services, or would it be topping up on the number of the O2 sim card at the time, phoning customer services that way, and the credit would get transferred over to the ported number?)

use SayNoTo0870 to find alternate numbers to call o2. sometimes there might be free numbers.

i am not sure about porting into o2, i.e. if there is any time limitation; if you could port in from o2 direct or from cpw o2.

Mattitude

(Also, it is a general rule to ask someone before pasting the contents of … (Also, it is a general rule to ask someone before pasting the contents of a pm, but since it's clarification that will help everyone, I don't mind on this occasion.)

i agree, sorry.

Ah, now I understand it properly - thank you

(And no worries :))
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11
      2. Win a Mazona Olympus 8kW multi-fuel stove @ Gr8 Fires33
      3. Jazz apple slicer for the price of a stamp33
      4. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains55

See more discussions