Groups

Positioning of a wall mounted 50" Plasma telly

I'm thinking of buying a Sammy 50" Plasma TV

How high do I position it on the wall ?

Cheers dudes init

34 Comments

if you're a chav you put it as high as you can on the wall.

If not then put it at about eye level (whilst seated)

Original Poster

numptyj

if you're a chav you put it as high as you can on the wall.If not then … if you're a chav you put it as high as you can on the wall.If not then put it at about eye level (whilst seated)

When I watch Sky Sports in a bar the screens are about 7 foot off the floor and that seems natural. I'm not a chav, honest bruv

Edited by: "DannyYellowbridge1991" 27th May 2011

Original Poster

every 1 thinks i'm a chav now bruv oO

Banned

I have my pioneer 50inch at eye line when I am sat on the sofa, works out to about just under 5ft high, I found if its too high tend to get neck ache

Eye level. Any higher just looks ridiculous imo and can't be comfortable to watch for long periods.

Original Poster

dog_cop

I have my pioneer 50inch at eye line when I am sat on the sofa, works out … I have my pioneer 50inch at eye line when I am sat on the sofa, works out to about just under 5ft high, I found if its too high tend to get neck ache

cheers bruv

Original Poster

cdm22

Eye level. Any higher just looks ridiculous imo and can't be comfortable … Eye level. Any higher just looks ridiculous imo and can't be comfortable to watch for long periods.

yeah but eye level standing up or sitting down innit

I mounted mine at the same height as it would have been had it been stood on the table.
    http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt357/chriscarley_photos/HUKD/DSC_0006.jpg

Banned

I compromised a little by having mine sort of halfway up the wall. Bottom of the TV is at eye level. It's not so bad as I'm sat about 4 metres from it so is actually very comfortable to watch. Mounting too low can look as ridiculous as mounting too high.

Old Pic

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/masterchief101/IMAG0055.jpg
    Edited by: "master_chief" 27th May 2011

dog_cop

I have my pioneer 50inch at eye line when I am sat on the sofa, works … I have my pioneer 50inch at eye line when I am sat on the sofa, works out to about just under 5ft high, I found if its too high tend to get neck ache

nice tv? dog_cop has it
    shameless showing iff....dog_cop has it!
    jealousy...i has it

Banned

DannyYellowbridge1991

yeah but eye level standing up or sitting down innit

obviously it depends if you sit or stand when watching tv - jeez! oO

I generally lie down on my sofa so its about 2 feet off the ground

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/csiman2/DSCF2185.jpg
    Edited by: "csiman" 27th May 2011

How do people plug their tv's in when it's on the wall like the ones above ^^^ where does the plug go?

I'd like that in my bedroom looks nice.

I have mine on the wall d/stairs but it's on a chimney breast and there was already a plug socket in there so it's behind a cupboard type thing so you can't see it,i can't explain it,anyway,how do you do it like the ones above?

You got a nice setup there csiman.

master_chief

I compromised a little by having mine sort of halfway up the wall. Bottom … I compromised a little by having mine sort of halfway up the wall. Bottom of the TV is at eye level. It's not so bad as I'm sat about 4 metres from it so is actually very comfortable to watch. Mounting too low can look as ridiculous as mounting too high.Old Pic

Those plug sockets are high up the wall,why are they that high,any reason ?

Banned

deb8z

How do people plug their tv's in when it's on the wall like the ones … How do people plug their tv's in when it's on the wall like the ones above ^^^ where does the plug go?I'd like that in my bedroom looks nice.I have mine on the wall d/stairs but it's on a chimney breast and there was already a plug socket in there so it's behind a cupboard type thing so you can't see it,i can't explain it,anyway,how do you do it like the ones above?

Which plugs?
    This thread has some install pics, should answer your question.
    hotukdeals.com/mis…e=2

Banned

deb8z

How do people plug their tv's in when it's on the wall like the ones … How do people plug their tv's in when it's on the wall like the ones above ^^^ where does the plug go?I'd like that in my bedroom looks nice.I have mine on the wall d/stairs but it's on a chimney breast and there was already a plug socket in there so it's behind a cupboard type thing so you can't see it,i can't explain it,anyway,how do you do it like the ones above?

you chase out a line in the wall and cables go inside that and you plaster over it.

Banned

master_chief

Which plugs?This thread has some install pics, should answer your … Which plugs?This thread has some install pics, should answer your question.http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/home-entertainment-setup-show-it-of/828718?page=2

electric plugs.

I guess you live in an area prone to flooding.

I would have it where it would be on a stand, I mounted mine too high and it's not that comfortable watching it, alright for Xbox as your concentrating but not for TV.

Banned

csiman

electric plugs.I guess you live in an area prone to flooding.

It did flood once before the house was built but the living room is on the 1st floor anyway. It's just where they put them, maybe it's something they do with new houses now or a feature of the builder?

Cheers,that installation pic on post 61 of the thread you linked to explained it,i knew you had to chase the wal out,it was where the plug goes i didn't get,but it comes out at the bottom,doh.

Although,what happens when you get a new tv

Banned

deb8z

Cheers,that installation pic on post 61 of the thread you linked to … Cheers,that installation pic on post 61 of the thread you linked to explained it,i knew you had to chase the wal out,it was where the plug goes i didn't get,but it comes out at the bottom,doh.Although,what happens when you get a new tv

I have to hope it's a tv with a detachable kettle lead like my current one. If not, and I think they're housing the plug socket these days on some, I'll just have to pull the conduit out the wall and replaster.

master_chief

It did flood once before the house was built but the living room is on … It did flood once before the house was built but the living room is on the 1st floor anyway. It's just where they put them, maybe it's something they do with new houses now or a feature of the builder?

Sockets are higher, and light sockets lower so that people with limited mobility can reach them.

Banned

thesaint

Sockets are higher, and light sockets lower so that people with limited … Sockets are higher, and light sockets lower so that people with limited mobility can reach them.

Sounds like a plausible explanation. Not sure someone with limited mobility would live in a 3 storey town house but if it's standard it's standard.

Carley

I mounted mine at the same height as it would have been had it been stood … I mounted mine at the same height as it would have been had it been stood on the table.

Hate to tell you this, but it ain't level mate.

Banned

master_chief

I have to hope it's a tv with a detachable kettle lead like my current … I have to hope it's a tv with a detachable kettle lead like my current one. If not, and I think they're housing the plug socket these days on some, I'll just have to pull the conduit out the wall and replaster.

or just cut the plug off and pull the tv off and lead comes with it, then put a stnadard 13A plug back on lol

Edited by: "csiman" 27th May 2011

Banned

csiman

or just cut the plug off and pull the tv off and lead comes with it, then … or just cut the plug off and pull the tv off and lead comes with it, then put a stnadard 13A plug back on lol

Yeah that too though I'd be concerned about the warranty situation. I've heard they're funny about tampering with the power lead/plug.

moob

Hate to tell you this, but it ain't level mate.

exactly what i was thinking mine is about 4ft high off the floor hotukdeals.com/mis…010

Banned

the porter

exactly what i was thinking

looks more like the floor isnt level as the table is being artificially levelled

I thought master chiefs and carleys both weren't straight/level,then thought it must be my eyes,or just the way the picture is taken.

I have wall mounted all my TV's from 50", 42" Plasma to 32"LCD and this is my method

Cut out the shape of your TV from a cardboard box then starting point is 90cm from floor to base of TV - get someone to sit where they will be watching TV and adjust cardboard cutout TV to desired height and best viewing angle. Then wall mount TV and job done.

Edited by: "zappp64" 27th May 2011

Banned

deb8z

I thought master chiefs and carleys both weren't straight/level,then … I thought master chiefs and carleys both weren't straight/level,then thought it must be my eyes,or just the way the picture is taken.

It's definitely straight or I have a wonky pair of spirit levels.

Original Poster

that's great - I'll give that a go

thanks for all your help dudes

Original Poster

Some great replies here especially with all the pics and ideas

maybe they should have a thread for how peoples tellies look in their houses after installation innnit

With the vertical centre of the screen at eye level when seated in your comfy telly chair.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64533
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391414
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1133
      4. Win A Galaxy Note 8 With Caseology & AndroidHeadlines *** ENDS TODAY ***22

See more discussions