Positive coronavirus advice

Posted 27th May
Hi all, about a week ago a workmate had to go and self isolate after his mother (a care home manager) showed symptoms, she has since been tested and is positive, also his father is now showing symptoms, my workmate and his father have not been tested uptill now.

My question is this, does my workplace have to insist my workmate gets tested before he is allowed to return to work or because he is self isolating for 3 weeks can he come back without being tested?

Cheers all
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
If he drives to Durham first he should be fine
18 Comments
Self isolation only needed afaik.
As long as they self isolate for the required time then no test is required
i think the idea is that during that period of isolation he would show symptoms if he gets the virus, so if he suffers no symptoms after the required period of self isolation then he is safe, and so can go about his business as usual.

i would assume that your employer would want to make sure he display no symptoms when he returns to work.
The tests can only detect if you currently have coronavirus and you should only apply if you have symptoms. An isolation period of 14 days is sufficient based on the current medical advice, as within this time you are assumed to have caught it and fought it off, or been asymtomatic.

If, however, your colleague gets symptoms on day 12 for example, then he must isolate for 7 days after the symptoms begin.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/gov…pdf
Edited by: "CrashOverride" 27th May
CrashOverride27/05/2020 12:38

The tests can only detect if you currently have coronavirus and you should …The tests can only detect if you currently have coronavirus and you should only apply if you have symptoms. An isolation period of 14 days is sufficient based on the current medical advice, as within this time you are assumed to have caught it and fought it off.If, however, your colleague gets symptoms on day 12, then he must isolate for 7 days after the symptoms begin.

Okay, I just assumed that because his mother works in a care home that the house hold would all be tested, what if he doesn't show symptoms till he has been back at work for a day?
Paul_Stephens27/05/2020 12:41

Okay, I just assumed that because his mother works in a care home that the …Okay, I just assumed that because his mother works in a care home that the house hold would all be tested, what if he doesn't show symptoms till he has been back at work for a day?

Based on the government advice, he should go home and arrange a test - and then isolate for 7 days. For 'key workers' (such as those working in care homes or the NHS) they can get tests if they suspect they have the virus and are self isolating but without symptoms, in order to prevent spreading it.

I edited my original post to give a PDF from the government website itself (after you quoted it though) which might help :).

Of course if he did want a test I'm sure he could get away with booking one now as it's essentially opened to everyone (over 5 years old).
Edited by: "CrashOverride" 27th May
if he is following Govt advice he should not be visiting his Parents, unless he lives with them
azzy12927/05/2020 12:50

if he is following Govt advice he should not be visiting his Parents, …if he is following Govt advice he should not be visiting his Parents, unless he lives with them

He lives with them
CrashOverride27/05/2020 12:46

Based on the government advice, he should go home and arrange a test - and …Based on the government advice, he should go home and arrange a test - and then isolate for 7 days. For 'key workers' (such as those working in care homes or the NHS) they can get tests if they suspect they have the virus and are self isolating but without symptoms, in order to prevent spreading it.I edited my original post to give a PDF from the government website itself (after you quoted it though) which might help :).Of course if he did want a test I'm sure he could get away with booking one now as it's essentially opened to everyone (over 5 years old).

Thanks for the PDF, I thought the government had changed some of that advice, the PDF is dated 17th of march which seems a little dated the way this has spread since
Paul_Stephens27/05/2020 13:02

Thanks for the PDF, I thought the government had changed some of that …Thanks for the PDF, I thought the government had changed some of that advice, the PDF is dated 17th of march which seems a little dated the way this has spread since

I thought the whole household could be tested but not sure now after reading this

nhs.uk/con…us/
myusernamehasgone23427/05/2020 13:12

I thought the whole household could be tested but not sure now after …I thought the whole household could be tested but not sure now after reading this https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-for-coronavirus/ask-for-a-test-to-check-if-you-have-coronavirus/

That's what I thought, it seems that this is another grey area that the government want so you can make your own decisions and therefore if anything goes wrong they aren't held responsible
winzzz27/05/2020 12:33

More likes please, great comment!
Is there anyone out there who is currently working with someone who is coronavirus positive and they have returned to work with or without a retest?
Tell him if can drive for half an hour just to check his eyesight is ok then he should be fine to return to work
Scotland131427/05/2020 17:56

Tell him if can drive for half an hour just to check his eyesight is ok …Tell him if can drive for half an hour just to check his eyesight is ok then he should be fine to return to work

Only if visiting a beauty spot with the wife on her birthday.
Paul_Stephens27/05/2020 14:34

Is there anyone out there who is currently working with someone who is …Is there anyone out there who is currently working with someone who is coronavirus positive and they have returned to work with or without a retest?

There is a wealth of information out there if you google it.

nhs.uk/con…ms/
Edited by: "eslick" 27th May
The rule is if you are in close contact with someone positive then you’ll have to self isolate and get tested. I suspect Organisations before returning to work may ask to show evidence you have been tested negative before upon returning to work.
Post a comment
@
    Text