Possiblbly a dumb question,......but whats the main difference between a canon 450D and 1000D SLR?

17 replies
Found 24th Jan 2009
As per title. Any comments would be appreciated. Really tempted by the tesco deal on the 1000D but want to know if I would benefit any great deal getting the 450D instead. Just a newbie when it comes to photography.

Any comments appreciated.

17 Comments

Bout tree fiddy?

Sorry, couldn't resist, i'll go sit in a corner and be quiet . . . . .

Is it not five fiddy?!

Try looking up the specs on the Canon website and compare them to what you need.

The 1000d has live view iirc, pop down to jessops or somewhere and they'll be glad to help. You should get a feel for them anyway!

Original Poster

i've had a bash with a canon 40D and I like the feel of the camera, cosmetically they look pretty much the same to me.

Didnt want to look like a lazy sod who couldnt just look on google, was wanting comments from people who have used them or know about cameras and can put things in laymans terms :-D

450d better :thumbsup:
All you need to know.

Original Poster

Thanks but not sure if i can justify the extra outlay at the minute. Would a total newbie notice any difference?

Sebas111;4174759

Thanks but not sure if i can justify the extra outlay at the minute. … Thanks but not sure if i can justify the extra outlay at the minute. Would a total newbie notice any difference?

Probably not tbh, I have the 350d and its more than enough for me although I wouldn't mind a faster fps speed at times for shooting motorsport.
If I was buying an upgrade from my 350 I would go for a 40d body.
I would still recommend buying the 400d or 450d to start out though. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Banned

Sebas111;4174733

i've had a bash with a canon 40D and I like the feel of the camera, … i've had a bash with a canon 40D and I like the feel of the camera, cosmetically they look pretty much the same to me.Didnt want to look like a lazy sod who couldnt just look on google, was wanting comments from people who have used them or know about cameras and can put things in laymans terms :-D

Are you a newbie to SLR photography? If so, then there's absolutely no need to spend so much on a camera body.

Go for a used 350D or a new 400/450.

There's no point spending a fortune only to find out you are rubbish at photography or aren't that interested. If it's just going to be for snapshots of family/holidays/pets etc then there's no need for an SLR.

I upgraded to an SLR (the 350D) about 18 months ago mainly because I enjoy taking photos. But the camera is only about 20% of the making of a good photo, the rest's up to you.

I love my canon but you can't go wrong with this price for the nikon D40.
hotukdeals.com/ite…k-/

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. Well Iwas going to order the 1000d from Tesco only to see the bloody thing has sold out!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, will seeif they get any more, hope they keep that price, works out well if they do cos my sis in law worksatTesco so can get another10% off.

I'm on the verge of buying a Canon 1000D. I know very little about digital photography other than the plethora of 3-8mp compacts digital camera's I've used, but I want something that will give me exceptional pictures of wildlife and opened countryside shots....possibly to print to A4 size....

any meaningful input welcome

OP I just checked Tesco website and it showed as in stock when I added it to basket?

StevenA2000_uk;4176159

I'm on the verge of buying a Canon 1000D. I know very little about … I'm on the verge of buying a Canon 1000D. I know very little about digital photography other than the plethora of 3-8mp compacts digital camera's I've used, but I want something that will give me exceptional pictures of wildlife and opened countryside shots....possibly to print to A4 size....

It's not necessarily the camera that will do that! :thumbsup:

I bought a second hand 20d for a little bit less than the 400d i was looking at at the time, the only reason was because i prefer the larger size of the xxD range, i have reasonably large hands and it was much more comfortable.

The lens (see i can spell it Dan!!) is worth spending more money on than the camera anyway!!

Banned

Banana79;4174647

Is it not five fiddy?!

LOL.... and I wonder how many others saw the header and thought that. (I know I did!)

In terms of what will actually make a difference to your shooting there isn't that much between the two cameras, the 1000D has a slightly lower pixel count (10MP rather than 12.2MP), no spot metering, smaller rear screen although same resolution (2.5in rather than 3in), slightly slower burst rate (3fps vs 3.5fps), slightly smaller magnification on the viewfinder (0.81x vs 0.87x) and less AF points (7 instead of 9).

Many of these aren't going to make that much difference, the main loss is probably the spot metering although many people may well stick with standard AW mode that attempts to measure the overall scene. I don't think any of the reduced features are as bad as removing the AF motor that Nikon have done in the D40/D40X/D60 as it means you can only use newer lenses or manual focus only if you do use an older lens - that's a more tricky decision to make.

John

I don't think Spot metering is vital, i tried to do an HDR yesterday for which you should use spot metering, my camera doesn't have it and the technique still worked out ok.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. sweet Sundays codes need to be redeemed by 23.59 on the 19th of October67
    2. word association Game74244899
    3. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland2355
    4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)70564

See more discussions