Possible Amazon Scam?

Posted 12th Feb
Just flagging this and wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Placed an order on Amazon this morning. About an hour later a call was received from an ROI number. They just asked two questions. They asked if I placed an order recently and then identified the product ordered (without prompting) and asked to confirm this was the item.

It seemed odd but no address details or bank details were requested. I sought to verify this with Amazon's support chat and they advised they were unaware of such calls. They did, however, seem unsure but said if no personal details were given then it is probably fine (some comfort!)

A search online gives a myriad of responses. Some believe it is legitimate others say it is not.

The fact they had the order details is obviously a concern and it was an order for an electronic item so it was an unusual order for my account in that sense.

Just flagging this in case anyone else gets such a call and in case anyone else has further information.

Amazon Chat said best to decline calls and contact them directly for security should this happen to anyone else.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
SBA, FBA or marketplace order? Thanks.
Did they definitely say they were from Amazon? This sounds more like a bank checking that your details haven't been stolen. I believe they would be aware of what was ordered.
AndyRoyd12/02/2020 12:32

SBA, FBA or marketplace order? Thanks.

Supplied by Amazon.
James250512/02/2020 12:34

Did they definitely say they were from Amazon? This sounds more like a …Did they definitely say they were from Amazon? This sounds more like a bank checking that your details haven't been stolen. I believe they would be aware of what was ordered.

They definitely said Amazon.
If you're using a PC or Android device perhaps consider running a thorough malware scan e.g. with MalwareBytes. Then check that you have two factor authentication on both your Amazon and email accounts - if not then enable it and change the password. Also make sure that Amazon is showing up as a verified secure site with the padlock icon in the browser.

If you've done all that then I don't think you should worry too much, just keep an eye on your bank statements and your Amazon orders. If it is a scam then I don't see why they would call you in the first place just to confirm information they already have, I suspect Amazon messed up at one or their logistics centres or something.
Edited by: "James2505" 12th Feb
James250512/02/2020 13:38

If you're using a PC or Android device perhaps consider running a …If you're using a PC or Android device perhaps consider running a thorough malware scan e.g. with MalwareBytes. Then check that you have two factor authentication on both your Amazon and email accounts - if not then enable it and change the password. Also make sure that Amazon is showing up as a verified secure site with the padlock icon in the browser.If you've done all that then I don't think you should worry too much, just keep an eye on your bank statements and your Amazon orders. If it is a scam then I don't see why they would call you in the first place just to confirm information they already have, I suspect Amazon messed up at one or their logistics centres or something.

Thanks James. Malware Bytes scan has come back clear. Password changes were done immediately just in case. Just odd that no one can confirm either way!
Edited by: "blackbox2342" 12th Feb
I have rang Amazon customer services on a few occasions and when you request a ring back it has always been a ROI number.
Amazon called me back when I had a problem and it was an 0800 number.
Dylan_Smith13512/02/2020 19:04

Comment deleted

They have called me back a few times when I requested a call back. The call back was usually instant
If ANY COMPANY calls you asking for any information (if call is unexpected), it doesn't matter if it's from the official company phone number or they say they are from Amazon, your bank, or a company you have never heard of - DO NOT GIVE ANY INFORMATION.

It doesn't matter if they seem to have your details on file. Ask for reference numbers/details. Hang up the call and then call from another line using the official number of the company (which you can find on their website - make sure website is legit not a fake one).

Numbers can be spoofed (faked to look like another number) very easily. Personal details can be bought from hacked databases. If the call is important enough then you will be able to call back and get everything resolved.

If order details were provided, someone could have access to the Amazon account or the email linked to it where the confirmation email was sent.
Edited by: "jamie15" 12th Feb
This happened only once with me. It was legit.
39893228.jpg

39893228-NgGPx.jpg
Edited by: "Dylan_Smith135" 12th Feb
Dylan_Smith13512/02/2020 20:01

[Image] [Image]

Completely different to stating Amazon don't do call backs??!!

The OP stated that they asked if he ordered X and didn't ask for any personal details......pretty poor performance if he was a scammer
When did you give them your number? I have never given Amazon my number - not sure where you would enter it.
Bigfootpete13/02/2020 12:08

When did you give them your number? I have never given Amazon my number - …When did you give them your number? I have never given Amazon my number - not sure where you would enter it.

They have the number for two step verification and also text delivery updates so they most certainly have it.
blackbox234213/02/2020 12:55

They have the number for two step verification and also text delivery …They have the number for two step verification and also text delivery updates so they most certainly have it.

I get e-mailed about deliveries, never texted.
Bigfootpete13/02/2020 13:44

I get e-mailed about deliveries, never texted.

I get an email and a text.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants