*Possible* chance to cancel your Vodafone contract from 1st Septermber 2008

If you don't really use 08, 05 numbers or go outside of your minutes then this is not for you.

Hi all, so this is a very short note to start the ball rolling about a possible chance to cancel your monthly contract with Vodafone from the 1st September 2008.

As you are all aware that Vodafone will be increasing call charges for *certain* numbers as of 01/09/08

Details are:
1. Minimum call charge (outside your inclusive minutes) will rise

Current price___New price___Difference___% increase
0.12p_________0.15p______0.03p_______25%

2. Calls beginning with 05, 080, 084, 0870 will rise

Current price___New price___Difference___% increase
0.15p_________0.20p_______0.05p_______33%

3. Calls beginning with 0871 will be charged at 0.35p - no change from 1st Sept (I think that there is an increase but Vodafone say none...)
(all these call charges include VAT)
(you must have called these numbers in the past)

[Why can you possibly cancel?]
If we look at the "Pay Monthly Airtime Terms" [Section 8 Ending of this agreement] we will see the section below:

during the Term
i) we increase in the United Kingdom and under clause 7a, call or other usage charges which have the effect of increasing your call or other usage charges by more than 10% or the increase in RPI calculated as in 8a above (which ever is the greater) based upon your previous call or usage pattern;

[My conclusion]
You can all see that the term is breached by the fact that Vodafone are increasing the call or usage charges by more than the 10% and even if we take the current months RPI of 4.6%, they breach in that respect as well.

[Your actions]
If you agree with my summary above and you wish to attempt to cancel your contract under this clause you will need to:
1. ensure that you have actually made calls included in this price increase
2. write a letter to Vodafone including the information above and clearly stating the reason for your cancellation (send this via recorded delivery and mark the envelope with immediate action required)
3. make an offer for Vodafone to make good the impact to your account, perhaps a few more texts a month would be nice
4. have fun

This is the link to the full T&C's so you can read in context.
online.vodafone.co.uk/dis…vC3!956121002?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=template12&pageID=PTC_0003

42 Comments

Banned

What do we think guys?

Original Poster

vibeone;2538466

What do we think guys?

Do you think I've missed any specifics?

i) we increase in the United Kingdom and under clause 7a, call or other … i) we increase in the United Kingdom and under clause 7a, call or other usage charges which have the effect of increasing your call or other usage charges by more than 10% or the increase in RPI calculated as in 8a above (which ever is the greater) based upon your previous call or usage pattern;

Is the important line. It will need to be shown that your call or other usage charges have increased by more than 10%, not just their prices.

Good post sicknote but I think you missed this bit out...

If you don't really use 08, 05 numbers or go outside of your minutes then why else would you want to cancel?

If you are currently in the middle, or any where else, of your 12 or 18month contract then this could *potentially* allow you to break out of your minimum term with little to no penalty. This would then allow you to start up another contract, either with Vodafone or anyone else, and get another handset (free if you choose an old enough phone or a high enough tarrif) sooner than you would if you waited until the end of your 12 or 18month contract .

The above point wasn't raised in previous similar threads and a lot of people that aren't as crafty minded as us went on to flame with sentiments such as "who the f calls 08 numbers anyway? this deal is retarded!" :thumbsup:

Can I sign for a new contract now and cancel it by the 1st of Sep?

Original Poster

matureking;2538505

Can I sign for a new contract now and cancel it by the 1st of Sep?

No, as the price increase has already been announced. :whistling:

Original Poster

Cuddy;2538504

Good post sicknote but I think you missed this bit out...If you don't … Good post sicknote but I think you missed this bit out...If you don't really use 08, 05 numbers or go outside of your minutes then why else would you want to cancel?If you are currently in the middle, or any where else, of your 12 or 18month contract then this could *potentially* allow you to break out of your minimum term with little to no penalty. This would then allow you to start up another contract, either with Vodafone or anyone else, and get another handset (free if you choose an old enough phone or a high enough tarrif) sooner than you would if you waited until the end of your 12 or 18month contract .The above point wasn't raised in previous similar threads and a lot of people that aren't as crafty minded as us went on to flame with sentiments such as "who the f calls 08 numbers anyway? this deal is retarded!" :thumbsup:

I hear what you're saying - I use my mobile for any and all calls so this will impact me. I'll keep looking for another reason for your cancel....:whistling:

sicknote;2538519

I hear what you're saying - I use my mobile for any and all calls so this … I hear what you're saying - I use my mobile for any and all calls so this will impact me. I'll keep looking for another reason for your cancel....:whistling:

I hope you didn't misunderstand me, I wasn't knocking you or the deal. There are people out there that won't understand the benefit of being able to cancel sooner unless it's pointed out to them. As such, my Q&A above (minus the last sentence) would probably be best added to your deal post for all those that don't venture into the comments and would otherwise simply vote cold for the wrong reasons

Original Poster

Cuddy;2538549

I hope you didn't misunderstand me, I wasn't knocking you or the deal. … I hope you didn't misunderstand me, I wasn't knocking you or the deal. There are people out there that won't understand the benefit of being able to cancel sooner unless it's pointed out to them. As such, my Q&A above (minus the last sentence) would probably be best added to your deal post for all those that don't venture into the comments and would otherwise simply vote cold for the wrong reasons

Thx, I've added that to the start of the post. :thumbsup:

Excellent opportunity to renegotiate contract and blag a new phone - voted hot.

So, If I get a new contract wih free PS3, over use the phone and call them numbers.
I can then cancel...? just wondering..

No. OP already responded to similar question at 11.31 today - guess you missed that. :-D

guru_the;2538721

So, If I get a new contract wih free PS3, over use the phone and call … So, If I get a new contract wih free PS3, over use the phone and call them numbers.I can then cancel...? just wondering..

Banned

When was this announced?

my current 12 month contract expires on 21st this month i already served them the required month's notice to end the contract. But their upgrades team is after me offering good deals. now the question.
if i extend my contract with new phone from 21st July onwards with a good funky phone, will i still be able to bargain cancelling the contract.
I do use 0871 no to topup to make calls abroad....
Please anyone suggest???

Original Poster

baldude;2538901

my current 12 month contract expires on 21st this month i already served … my current 12 month contract expires on 21st this month i already served them the required month's notice to end the contract. But their upgrades team is after me offering good deals. now the question.if i extend my contract with new phone from 21st July onwards with a good funky phone, will i still be able to bargain cancelling the contract.I do use 0871 no to topup to make calls abroad....Please anyone suggest???

Hmm, now that is a very interesting question. Vodafone will argue that you have already received the intent to increase call charges [sent as flyer in the June bill] so I would say that you're on shaky ground.

If I was in your positon I would tell them that you know about the price increase and 'if you renew your contract', what will they offer as way of an extra sweetner in respect of the price increase?

Hi, if you cancel your contract can you take your number with you. I recently got a 2nd line for my sister and i think she uses these numbers sometimes

Original Poster

fatboy88;2539166

Hi, if you cancel your contract can you take your number with you. I … Hi, if you cancel your contract can you take your number with you. I recently got a 2nd line for my sister and i think she uses these numbers sometimes

Yes, you can ask for the PAC code at the same time.

this has happened with tmobile roughly the same and no one has been able to cancell just reduce there tariff so far.

If they have only announced it - but the sales people in the shops will be keeping well quiet to ensure their commission - the first many new users will realise is when they either get a letter telling them - or they see on their bill.

So either you still can cancel if not told - or they will be ripping people off until it happens.

Soon it will be cheaper using a mobile roaming in the UK than using a UK mobile.

Moved to misc forum, not a deal, just information. Thanks

just received this with the monthly bill and have been told to take this to the vodafone stores for them to bring this up as the contact centres dont have the info yet or so i'm told

Original Poster

So, after writing to them I received a complete muppet reply about '...that's not the intent of the contract.....blah blah blah'.

I sent them another letter and hey presto they have now agreed to cancel my contract and provide me with PAC numbers.

I'd be happy to PM you my reply letter noted - just not happy to post it here and have sad acts from the consumer action group website ripping all my hard work.

Hi sicknote, would you be able to pm me a copy of your reply so i can go back to them with this. Still being ignored

many thanks and nice work

Could I have a copy as well

Do you have a copy of the initial letter as well?

Cheers

I have a reply from Vodafone...

Hi,Thank you for contacting Vodafone Customer Services about the call … Hi,Thank you for contacting Vodafone Customer Services about the call charges.We are making changes to 3 areas of our post pay peripheral charges, to take effect from 1st September 2008. The changes are as follows: 1. Minimum Call Charge -increase current 5p rate to 15p 2.Out of Bundle rates (OOB) - increase current 10p per min out of bundle rate, to 15p for customers on Anytime and CTR price plans with 500 minutes or above (this is for calls to other Vodafone numbers or Landlines. Other network calls will remain at 35p per min)3. Non-Geographic rates - charge these in line with the competition at 20p per minute on 0845, 0870, 0800, 0500 and 35p per minute on 0871 Customers will be informed of these changes during July and August via Bill inserts and SMS. Click here for full campaign details - hereAs a result of these changes, our consumer customers will be receiving bill inserts from Monday 7 July. Fur further information click the link below hereI am sorry to hear that you are concerned about the changes to the call charges. I can assure you that these changes are taking place to enable Vodafone to offer you more competitive and personalised packages. Please note that under section 7a of the terms and conditions we can make these changes, providing we give you at least 14 days notice, which we have adhered to. If you wish to discuss an alternative tariff, please get back to us and one of the team will be happy to help, or you can visit vodafone.co.ukI have also sent you the terms and conditions copy and you will receive it in 5/7 working days.I trust this helps and in the mean time If there is anything else I can help you with, do contact me.Kind Regards,NH Vodafone Customer Services

Original Poster

Thanks for posting the letter, I laughed so hard I almost broke a rib - the author must be simple and assume that everyone else is.

So yes, thier letter is correct. The Pay Monthly Airtime terms do state that they must provide 14 days notice of price increase - which they have and that as never in dispute.

What is in dispute is they also state they will not raise thier prices by more than 10% or more than the RPI - which they have.

sicknote;2630012

Thanks for posting the letter, I laughed so hard I almost broke a rib - … Thanks for posting the letter, I laughed so hard I almost broke a rib - the author must be simple and assume that everyone else is.So yes, thier letter is correct. The Pay Monthly Airtime terms do state that they must provide 14 days notice of price increase - which they have and that as never in dispute.What is in dispute is they also state they will not raise thier prices by more than 10% or more than the RPI - which they have.

I picked up on the fact that they quote 7a, but no mention of 8a (terms for cancellation against 7a), so I have placed this in my reply...

I'll PM you my reply in a mo, see what you think...

It gets better, will post reply later...

Basically, they are giving me the spiel that a normal cancellation would get (cost such and such to get out early).

Sent a reply already stating how they are dodging the subject, so will see how that goes.

Browni,

Vodafone are not playing ball as they are saying that I MUST pay the remaining line rental owed under my contract with them as they can not see how they are in breech. I can not for the life of me find my contract, any pointers as to what I should include in my letter responding to their standard "sorry you are leaving us" letter would be a great help.

If you could help me out that would be fantastic. I have a new born who seems to like to keep both me and my wife up and i'm having issues thinking straight!!

degudodger;2658774

Browni, Vodafone are not playing ball as they are saying that I MUST pay … Browni, Vodafone are not playing ball as they are saying that I MUST pay the remaining line rental owed under my contract with them as they can not see how they are in breech. I can not for the life of me find my contract, any pointers as to what I should include in my letter responding to their standard "sorry you are leaving us" letter would be a great help. If you could help me out that would be fantastic. I have a new born who seems to like to keep both me and my wife up and i'm having issues thinking straight!!

Hi,

Advise them that they have breached clause 7 (upping the prices over RPI or 10%) and that in clause 8, you have the right to cancel.

I've PM'd you my reply to the standard leaving jobby...

Update on my situation, my contract is cancelled as of tomorrow :thumbsup:

It did actually take a phonecall from them and some firm facts from myself with regards to the T&Cs (so if you get the call, remember points from T&Cs such as the fact they are increasing the charges over 10% and it doesn't state anything other than this to cancel the agreement).

Big thanks to Sicknote for the heads up and advice

Hi,

If possible could you send me what you sent voda aswell please, really hope I can get out of this, racked up £25 in 08XX numbers in July alone :x

they wouldn't cancel mine either. I have sent them a reply but could i have the response you have sent?

Thanks in advance

Paul

*Possible* chance to cancel your Vodafone contract from 1st Septermber … *Possible* chance to cancel your Vodafone contract from 1st Septermber 2008

haha, septermber

Please can you sedn me what your wrote to voda so I can canel my contract or better still post it in the thread?

Ok, I'll post it here, but please remember you will need to edit this to your own situation...

Obviously, my reply is directed to the response I got (which was that I would need to pay to get out of the contract).

If you look at your terms and conditions relating to clause 7a, you will … If you look at your terms and conditions relating to clause 7a, you will see the following…8) Ending of this Agreementa) You may end this Agreement immediately by writing to us if:-o we do not do what we have to do under this Agreement and do not put it right within 7 days of being asked in writing to do so;o all of the Services are permanently no longer available to you;o we increase the monthly (or other periodic line rental charge under clause 7a) and such increase (calculated as a percentage) is more than the increase in the Retail Prices Index Figure ("RPI", also calculated as a percentage) for the period from the month of the last increase (if any) to the month before we send the notice of the change in tariffs and you write to us before the increase takes effect. If we increase the monthly (or other periodic) line rental charge by more than the increase in the RPI we will tell you; or during the term.In particular, this section…we increase the monthly (or other periodic line rental charge under clause 7a) and such increase (calculated as a percentage) is more than the increase in the Retail Prices Index Figure ("RPI", also calculated as a percentage) for the period from the month of the last increase (if any) to the month before we send the notice of the change in tariffs and you write to us before the increase takes effect. If we increase the monthly (or other periodic) line rental charge by more than the increase in the RPI we will tell you; or during the term.Now, looking at the proposed prices…1. Minimum Call ChargeIncrease from 5p to 15p = 200%2. Out of Bundle RatesIncrease from 10p to 15p = 50%3. Non-Geographic RatesIncrease from 15p to 20p = 33% IncreaseThe current RPI is 4.6%, and as you can see, you will be increasing more than this, which relates to the clause in the contract as quoted above.As this is way above the RPI and what I would deem as acceptable, I would therefore like you to cancel my Vodafone contract as of the 1st September 2008 using clause 8a within your own Terms & Conditions of the contract between us.This should not incur any costs to myself, as this is a breach of contract by you as a company.I use both the non-geographic numbers and out of bundle calls on a regular basis and I do not believe these increases will be of any benefit to me.Please reply with confirmation of acceptance of the termination of my contract.

I'll think I'll have a go at cancelling my contract. I'll write a letter along the lines of what you posted and see what kind of response I get.

Did you get to keep your phone when you cancelled?

I 'll give a try as well.
never knows:thumbsup:

I have sent them an email stating wats been said here also i have typed a letter to send them today only thing im missing is the address anyone help ?

Thank you for contacting Vodafone Customer Services about the changes in the charging rate.

I understand from your email that you're very upset with the increase in the charge rate for calling numbers. I'd like to explain.

I’m sure you will agree with me Mr. ********, that every company has its strategy to attract customers and ensure that they receive some exciting offers.

I would like to stress that as a business Vodafone has changed the charges so that we can offer our customers deals that are lucrative and you can leverage maximum benefit from them and we have also received positive feedback from our customers about it.

And we strongly believe in finding ways to offer you more with new products, incomparable service and even more added value all the time.

I'd like to let you know that we are making changes to 3 areas of our post pay peripheral charges, to take effect from 1st September 2008.

The changes are as follows:

1. Minimum Call Charge:

Please note that the minimum call charge will increase from current 5p rate to 15p

2.Out of Bundle rates (OOB):

This charges will increase from current 10p per min out of bundle rate, to 15p for customers on Anytime and CTR price plans with 500 minutes or above (this is for calls to other Vodafone numbers or Landlines. Other network calls will remain at 35p per min)

3. Non-Geographic rates:

This charge in line with the competition at 20p per minute on 0845, 0870, 0800, 0500 and 35p per minute on 0871 Customers will be informed of these changes during July and August via Bill inserts and SMS. Click here for full campaign details.

As a result of these changes, you will be receiving bill inserts from Monday 7 July. Fur further information click here

I trust this information regarding the changes in the charging rate is helpful Mr. Starrs, if there is anything else I can help you with then please feel free to contact me or click on 'Contact Us'.

Kind Regards,

Rajendra Lahati

Vodafone Customer Services

We hope you have found our Email Customer Service helpful and convenient. To contact us please click 'here'.
Need a quick answer to your technical query? Next time, why don’t you visit the Vodafone eForum found here. This forum lets you discuss the technical aspects of our products, services and the mobile world at large. You can ask questions, find answers and get tips and advice. Have a look now

Thats the reply i got

BUMP.

Anyonre got anywhere with this?

I'm tempted to do it as it would deffo affect my charges. But the only thing is that I usually get offered better upgrade deals than what new customers can get, so may not be worthwhile for me...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764160
    2. Sad news about Barcelona24101
    3. Cat Chat73707
    4. How dangerous is Donald trump?2297

See more discussions