possible fraud-advice needed

Found 29th May 2012
evening guys

just wanted some advice before I phone up the company tomorrow.

Just been to me parents who handed be a envelope. I opened it and to my surprise it was from the credit card company MBNA stating that I owe them about £150. Now this was news to me as one I dont have a MBNA credit card and secondly it was in my name but the address was my parents,where I havent lived for about 8 years.

Now I visit my parents fairly regularly and if I do get any starggling letters from when I used to live there, which arent many, im handed them straight away and ive never been handed any statements or previous correspondence from MBNA.

The letter itself is abit weird in the sense that it does not seem official although its got the company name, address and also sems to have some sort of 16 digit card number.

the letter mainly contains a large rectangular box in the middle with a couple of sections stating the months I owe money from and the amount. no actual place to fill out any details to pay the money or anything.

just wondering if anyone has anything similar in the past or is it a known scam.

will ring them up tomorrow as they are closed right now and im hoping it will be cleared up easily.

any advice is as always, very much appreciated.
Community Updates
23 Comments
Call MBNA from the number on their website. Could be phishing.
If its fraud, and you don't have a card then you have nothing to worry about and you wont have to pay.

Phone the number from their official website, not from the letter for obvious reasons.
Your best bet is to find there phone number online and call that number and as them for details, don't call any numbers on the letter because they might be premium number with the sole intention of keeping you on the phone as long as possible to fleece you of money praying on your worries.
Original Poster
thats the thing, there is no number on the letter at all. No company Logo,nothing. just their address in the top right hand corner, my name and parents address in the top left hand side, and some company infor mation like registration number etc at the bottom right hand of the letter. nowhere to actually call or anything.
Still call them to double check and for piece of mind but more importantly warn them that this is happening, just spare a thought for the elderly folk that might be scammed if it is a scam.
Matty1255

Still call them to double check and for piece of mind but more … Still call them to double check and for piece of mind but more importantly warn them that this is happening, just spare a thought for the elderly folk that might be scammed if it is a scam.

Just because people get old, it doesn't mean their brains stop working X)
Here phone them

Personal credit cards
All General Enquiries including Lost and Stolen Cards
0800 062 062
24 hours a day, 7 days a week

mbna.co.uk/m/c…us/

It may load as a mobile website as im using my iphone
EN1GMA

thats the thing, there is no number on the letter at all. No company … thats the thing, there is no number on the letter at all. No company Logo,nothing. just their address in the top right hand corner, my name and parents address in the top left hand side, and some company infor mation like registration number etc at the bottom right hand of the letter. nowhere to actually call or anything.

Bin it.
jonny619447

Oooh, I was there last Tuesday!
I would not dare ignore it, purely because you may have forgotten about something from a long time ago (not saying you are getting old or anything E)

Ring 0800 9174466 - just hold for Customer Services - from the site Saynoto0870.

Also - 0800 062062 - 24 hour Customer Services - they might not be able to help with this query but you could try ringing now.
fawcett

Here phone themPersonal credit cardsAll General Enquiries including Lost … Here phone themPersonal credit cardsAll General Enquiries including Lost and Stolen Cards0800 062 06224 hours a day, 7 days a weekhttp://mbna.co.uk/m/contact-us/It may load as a mobile website as im using my iphone

Just seen your when I posted mine
deek72

Oooh, I was there last Tuesday!

I take that back... Oh, Hi Deek!
Edited by: "jonny619447" 29th May 2012
It's called a phising scam. The purpose is to trick you into giving them your personal details.

If you've never had a card with them why are you even worried!? Really don't mean to be rude or anything but it sounds a bit idiotic that you'd even consider contacting them if you know you've never had a card with them
JamesClark1991

It's called a phising scam. The purpose is to trick you into giving them … It's called a phising scam. The purpose is to trick you into giving them your personal details.If you've never had a card with them why are you even worried!? Really don't mean to be rude or anything but it sounds a bit idiotic that you'd even consider contacting them if you know you've never had a card with them

No need to be like that. Some peoples brains don't work as fast as others.
OP gets money from the government for that, so he has to practice at being completely brain dead.

I joke OP
Do a free credit check to see if there is anything logged under your details which you don't recognise.
You can also often pick up some cashback for free credit check trials, just remember to cancel before the 2/4 weeks trial is up.
JamesClark1991

It's called a phising scam. The purpose is to trick you into giving them … It's called a phising scam. The purpose is to trick you into giving them your personal details.If you've never had a card with them why are you even worried!? Really don't mean to be rude or anything but it sounds a bit idiotic that you'd even consider contacting them if you know you've never had a card with them

Perhaps because someone could have phished their details within the last 8 years, and set up a credit card in his name? It has happened to friends of ours before, some retailers are prepared to ship to an address different to the billing address. If its a phishing scam, why no contact number on the letter??
JamesClark1991

Seems idiotic not to contact MBNA and check it out with a quick phonecall.
If it's a fake/phishing scam then I'm sure that MBNA will want to investigate someone using their company details and doing so could stop the scammers from scamming someone else - just think if your old Granny got the letter she might not question it like we know to. If MBNA don't know about the fraudulent letters then they can't do anything about them.
If it's a real bill but from someone having used identity theft then MBNA can start the ball rolling in dealing with the situation and make sure it doesn't affect your credit score.
Banned
JamesClark1991

It's called a phising scam. The purpose is to trick you into giving them … It's called a phising scam. The purpose is to trick you into giving them your personal details.

So how are they trying to get him to do that when there is no phone number for him to ring?

If you've never had a card with them why are you even worried!? Really … If you've never had a card with them why are you even worried!? Really don't mean to be rude or anything but it sounds a bit idiotic that you'd even consider contacting them if you know you've never had a card with them

More idiotic not to, what if someones opened an account in his name and ran up a debt he knows nothing about?
For the cost of a phone call, give them a quick ring. If its a scam they will take it from there and you can forget about it.
jonny619447

I wasn't saying old people are stupid but 9 times out of 10 its aimed at the elderly because that sort of person is more than likely to contact them/pay money than a younger person, trust me my nan had two thugs knocking on her door once claiming they were from a debt collecting agency and wanted to come in she was 87, its sad that its aimed at older people.
Matty1255

I wasn't saying old people are stupid but 9 times out of 10 its aimed at … I wasn't saying old people are stupid but 9 times out of 10 its aimed at the elderly because that sort of person is more than likely to contact them/pay money than a younger person, trust me my nan had two thugs knocking on her door once claiming they were from a debt collecting agency and wanted to come in she was 87, its sad that its aimed at older people.

Yes I know, I was having a joke. It is sad mate, but they go for the easy targets unfortunately.
How did you get on with MBNA today, enigma?
Original Poster
Johnboy_1975

How did you get on with MBNA today, enigma?

sorry for the delay in replying back guys. Yeah, company don't know anything about it so have asked a copy of the letter to be emailed to them, and they have given me a form to fill out and send back. all in all, im clear, i owe them nothing and they thanked me for getting in touch straight away.

thanks for all the advise guys.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions