Groups

Possible to get out of paying BT connection charge?

Banned
    I am currently renting a flat which has had a telephone connection in the past but the previous tennant must have transferred it to a different supplier and now BT are saying its £120 to have it connected even though its not a new connection.

Is there any way of getting out of paying this charge as a connection already exists? Itd just don't want to pay the money when only have 5 months left on lease in case move after it. I don't even want phone line just want broadband for my xbox but gotta get phoneline 1st as i'm not i a cable area for virgin.

Any help is much appreciated

9 Comments

yea dont go with BT, tell them fine you go with sky whatever call their bluff, no way i'd pay that. So many landline providers £120 they having a giraffe

Original Poster Banned

DIVA1977;3350042

yea dont go with BT, tell them fine you go with sky whatever call their … yea dont go with BT, tell them fine you go with sky whatever call their bluff, no way i'd pay that. So many landline providers £120 they having a giraffe

But do i need to have a live phone connection in place before i can go with a different provider?

if your going to go to sky, speak to the guys there and they may pay the fee for you

my sales guy told sky i was coming from virgin and they paid it

Original Poster Banned

Cheers but would have to get a big sky package in for them to pay connection and don't want sky TV. And would involve paying installtion fees again if i moved as i'm just renting at the moment

Basically just want broadband for xbox so want phoneline for that

BT have a special offer that they don't advertise: £29.99 reconnection if you sign up with BT on a 12 month contract.

See: ]http//ww…htm

but I phoned up to reconnect and they told me that the line was still connected and I didn't need to pay a reconnection fee.

Also have a read of the forums at MSE, as I did trying to sort this out:

]http//fo…om/

paladin;3350138

if you sign up with BT on a 12 month contract.

Sorry, this is an 18 month contract... Not so good if you're renting.

Just tell them that you are a telephone engineer to trade and you have checked the home and the master line jack is fully wired from the outside, usually they wave the fee, done this twice, once i called them for a mate pretending to be him and once called when i moved house when they were banging on about connection fees.

Banned

you sure they told you 120 quid connection?

if its a working line then it costs nothing just about 2 weeks to terminate the other provider and hook you up.

only costs that if there is no working line there

I had been a Bt customer for more than 15 years and when I moved house they wanted me to pay £120 even though there was a telephone installed. I tried to get them to waiver the fee but they refused. Anyway. I telephoned Tiscali and I am now with them for my telephone and internet. You do not have to have a live line to be connected to Tiscali just the line installed. It is still BT engineers that connect the line. By the way my telephone bill has reduced and I have had no problems with Tiscali. Hope this helps.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. HP Instant Ink 4 month trial setup?1827
      2. Are the free antivirus any good?55
      3. Disney descendants duvet22
      4. Looking for bike lights and a decent helmet33

See more discussions