Post Lenovo laptop nightmare buy

Posted 8th Jun
Ok dudes put your tips and tricks here.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
This a modified version of Komi's original instructions he posted with some of the trouble points people ran into added to it and with additional steps for the Lenovo custom functionality;

Windows 10 installation for noobs (newbies):

Read below and check out this video

youtube.com/wat…kXg

Prep.

1.Buy a Window 10 key off ebay – search for the cheapest (between £1-3 – Windows 10 Pro Key 64 bit)

2.Get a 8GB or greater USB drive for the Windows 10 install (note it will be formatted)

3. Download windows 10 installation media (Link below – click download tool now and run programme)

microsoft.com/en-…s10

4.Put your USB drive in your computer and follow instructions on Windows 10 setup – select create an installation media… English, w10, 64 bit. This will download the media on to your USB stick

5.Download drivers from Lenovo site and store on another USB stick or any other storage

pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/…ch=

Installation.

1.Make sure you charge your beautiful new laptop and put your Windows 10 USB stick in the UDB drive

2.On boot it may read your USB stick if not you will need to go into the bios, when computer is turning on press FN & F2 to enter set-up (Del/F10/F12/Fn & Insert) – It’s one of them.

3.Once in the bios you can update your bios here (maybe do at a later stage – drivers in Lenovo site)

4.Locate your boot order and set your USB stick – you may need to use your arrows keys on your keyboard as your trackpad may not be working (use space bar to tick. Tab, arrows - ty @nickhuk) or plug in a USB mouse to navigate. Save and exit

5.On reboot it will open the media file on the USB stick and begin to install windows 10 – please follow instructions – 64 bit etc and select your 128/256/512/1TB NVME drive you purchased as your install location

NOTE: The laptop touch pad will not work at this stage as Windows does not have native drivers for it. It is heavily recommended that you have a wired USB mouse connected to make the setup process easier. If you do not have access to one then you will need to navigate setup using tab, space, direction keys and enter.

When installing Windows at a certain stage it will ask you which partition to install Windows to. On that screen there should be one partition already listed and a second entry for unallocated space. The primary partition already listed is the FreeDOS install that came on the machine. Select this and delete it. You will then just have Unallocated Space listed. Select to install Windows there, set the space to the maximum available. Windows will automatically create the required partition and install to it

6.Once installed, then put in your driver USB files and install the drivers you previously downloaded from Lenovo site

7.Run Windows update and install update once you have WIFI up and running

8. To get the function keys shortcuts on the keyboard working download and install the Lenovo utility app from the MS app store - microsoft.com/en-…tab
This will also enable direct fan performance settings control using the keyboard combination Fn+Q to switch between modes

9. To enable things like open to boot etc. install the Lenovo Vantage app from the Windows Store - microsoft.com/en-…tab

10. If you are having camera issues ensure that the physical privacy shutter is not closed on the laptop, also check in the Vantage app that camera privacy mode is not enabled

11. The fingerprint scanner is built into the power button (It's not missing...). Fingerprint scanner will not work until you sign into the machine with a Microsoft online Account and enable WIndows Hello as an authentication method

If you follow the steps above in the correct order you should not have any issues with setting up the machine.
Edited by: "davidoriordan1" 8th Jun
Windows 10 > USB Stick > Laptop > Install > Done!
12 Comments
So now tell us from beginning how to install win and drivers, all of you who got their laptops.
duggie198208/06/2020 20:30

It should be in this order laptop,usb stick, window, and loads of trouble.
This a modified version of Komi's original instructions he posted with some of the trouble points people ran into added to it and with additional steps for the Lenovo custom functionality;

Windows 10 installation for noobs (newbies):

Read below and check out this video

youtube.com/wat…kXg

Prep.

1.Buy a Window 10 key off ebay – search for the cheapest (between £1-3 – Windows 10 Pro Key 64 bit)

2.Get a 8GB or greater USB drive for the Windows 10 install (note it will be formatted)

3. Download windows 10 installation media (Link below – click download tool now and run programme)

microsoft.com/en-…s10

4.Put your USB drive in your computer and follow instructions on Windows 10 setup – select create an installation media… English, w10, 64 bit. This will download the media on to your USB stick

5.Download drivers from Lenovo site and store on another USB stick or any other storage

pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/…ch=

Installation.

1.Make sure you charge your beautiful new laptop and put your Windows 10 USB stick in the UDB drive

2.On boot it may read your USB stick if not you will need to go into the bios, when computer is turning on press FN & F2 to enter set-up (Del/F10/F12/Fn & Insert) – It’s one of them.

3.Once in the bios you can update your bios here (maybe do at a later stage – drivers in Lenovo site)

4.Locate your boot order and set your USB stick – you may need to use your arrows keys on your keyboard as your trackpad may not be working (use space bar to tick. Tab, arrows - ty @nickhuk) or plug in a USB mouse to navigate. Save and exit

5.On reboot it will open the media file on the USB stick and begin to install windows 10 – please follow instructions – 64 bit etc and select your 128/256/512/1TB NVME drive you purchased as your install location

NOTE: The laptop touch pad will not work at this stage as Windows does not have native drivers for it. It is heavily recommended that you have a wired USB mouse connected to make the setup process easier. If you do not have access to one then you will need to navigate setup using tab, space, direction keys and enter.

When installing Windows at a certain stage it will ask you which partition to install Windows to. On that screen there should be one partition already listed and a second entry for unallocated space. The primary partition already listed is the FreeDOS install that came on the machine. Select this and delete it. You will then just have Unallocated Space listed. Select to install Windows there, set the space to the maximum available. Windows will automatically create the required partition and install to it

6.Once installed, then put in your driver USB files and install the drivers you previously downloaded from Lenovo site

7.Run Windows update and install update once you have WIFI up and running

8. To get the function keys shortcuts on the keyboard working download and install the Lenovo utility app from the MS app store - microsoft.com/en-…tab
This will also enable direct fan performance settings control using the keyboard combination Fn+Q to switch between modes

9. To enable things like open to boot etc. install the Lenovo Vantage app from the Windows Store - microsoft.com/en-…tab

10. If you are having camera issues ensure that the physical privacy shutter is not closed on the laptop, also check in the Vantage app that camera privacy mode is not enabled

11. The fingerprint scanner is built into the power button (It's not missing...). Fingerprint scanner will not work until you sign into the machine with a Microsoft online Account and enable WIndows Hello as an authentication method

If you follow the steps above in the correct order you should not have any issues with setting up the machine.
Edited by: "davidoriordan1" 8th Jun
Woohoo, what an adventure!
komi08/06/2020 22:36

Woohoo, what an adventure!

The adventure actually started now.... but I still haven't got my laptop...... yet.
If I was to do it again, I don't think I would have installed the Lenovo apps. With the latest build of windows, everything worked immediately - including the trackpad. I installed the Lenovo Vantage app 3 days later and then encountered problems. Removing this and resetting the Bios seems to have worked with everything stable for 2 days. It's clear that some people have got some duff hardware but my gut feel is that mine was caused by conflicts in the software.
Camera does not work on my Laptop. Please help
My C340 should be arriving later today (fingers crossed)
raj081068@hotmai09/06/2020 11:14

Camera does not work on my Laptop. Please help

From the instructions listed above;

If neither of the above works some people found that a re-install of Windows allowed it to pick up the camera hardware
When the laptop lid is switched off and screen closed, open the lid and press space to screen display battery power.
Is there any way of permanatly uninstalling Netflix on the laptop, everytime i do this, few hours later it re-installs itself.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants