Post moving house solicitor and estate agent asking for more money??

Found 4th Jun 2012
This is the score moved house recently and had a call from both solicitor and estate agent saying they didn't request enough cash from me and i owe the estate agent £150.
I know it a small amount in the whole moving house thing but from as far as i am concerned i paid what was needed and if it wasn't right its there mess and one of them should take the hit.

Anybody any ideas legally?
Community Updates
Misc
22 Comments
hope i dont get this, as ive just signed up for mortgage friday
its not a cheap thing
sme24185

hope i dont get this, as ive just signed up for mortgage friday its not a … hope i dont get this, as ive just signed up for mortgage friday its not a cheap thing

everything else was fine just this, i'm thinking if the solicitor screwed up then they should cough up the extra.
As far as i was concerned it was done, what if in like 6 months they call and say oh we forgot this amount and you owe us £1000 or something surely not right
Pay the cash and then pour paint stripper on the agents mini.
They didn't request enough, or you didn't pay them enough? If you agreed on a price and you paid it in full, I believe that you have every right at this point to respond to them with a photo of yourself pointing and laughing directly into the camera.
So were you aware of the shortfall at the time? Or is the amount already paid correct as per the agreement?

If the agreement states £x and you've paid £x then it's their problem, not yours.

However if the agreement states £x and you've paid £y then you owe.
dxx types quicker than me.............
far too little info to respond properly
saying that ive got 3 stages in payments
1 for fees to broker, another fee,we have paid
2 the % of what im putting down the day we sign over for keys
3 there another fee £148 unsure when they want this?
If you have completed, I don't see how they can ask for more if it was their mistake. Ask for details.

One word of warning, although there might be no foundation, they could slap an order against the property (there is a legal term for this), meaning that when you come to sell, they would have an interest & it could hold up any future sale. They could also get a county court judgement made against you, which could mean time going to court.

You could try to negotiate, adding "without predudice"
It sounds like when they worked out the Agents fees they miscalculated. So when they sent the bill it was wrong. So the solicitor is now trying to readdress it. The only thing is the initial contract will have stated the charges that would become due so I doubt you'll get out of it.

Get it in writing that they made a mistake and no such further demands will come forth later on I.e. this is a final invoice.
you are not gonna win against a solicitor but if it is the estate agent that fouled up tell them to F.O!
Hold your breath until it gets resolved.
Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 4th Jun 2012
bubblegum2910

If you have completed, I don't see how they can ask for more if it was … If you have completed, I don't see how they can ask for more if it was their mistake. Ask for details. One word of warning, although there might be no foundation, they could slap an order against the property (there is a legal term for this), meaning that when you come to sell, they would have an interest & it could hold up any future sale. They could also get a county court judgement made against you, which could mean time going to court. You could try to negotiate, adding "without predudice"

This is called a charging order I believe. I honestly don't think they would bother doing it for the sake of £148.
If you have any kind of document that states that the amount originally requested was a final amount, then tell them that you are unable to comply.

It happened to me and once I quoted this to them and additionally advised that I would report them to their own body for unfair practice they backed right off.
as above... magic jay will probably be able to weigh in with a little more or contact the CAB.

If you have a final payment invoice or documents stating what is to be paid and you have paid that amount then i think you should be fine.
Cheers everyone for the responses. I did get a statement from the solicitor which I paid the amount listed as per there request.
Fews days after completion they and also the agent called to say the amount for the estate agent fees was wrong and should have been 150 extra.

The solicitor told me to drop a cheque in on the estate agent which further more I ain't happy doing as everything should go through him.

Just trying to work out if I have a leg to stand on if I tell em I'm not paying extra now they have changed there mind, at the end of the day looks like the solicitor has messed up and not asked for the correct amount so as I see it he should front the extra.
Think your best bet is to call the CAB i reckons.
ANDYWOODY01

Cheers everyone for the responses. I did get a statement from the … Cheers everyone for the responses. I did get a statement from the solicitor which I paid the amount listed as per there request.Fews days after completion they and also the agent called to say the amount for the estate agent fees was wrong and should have been 150 extra.The solicitor told me to drop a cheque in on the estate agent which further more I ain't happy doing as everything should go through him.Just trying to work out if I have a leg to stand on if I tell em I'm not paying extra now they have changed there mind, at the end of the day looks like the solicitor has messed up and not asked for the correct amount so as I see it he should front the extra.

just ask them to provide details of how they have worked the amount out and how they got it wrong in the first place to start with ask them to provide their workings on paper

pretty sure it would either be a set amount or a percentage
If you do pay anymore, include with the cheque a letter that this is for full & final settlement, and get them to sign a copy.
ask them if they do quidco or topcash
ANDYWOODY01

Cheers everyone for the responses. I did get a statement from the … Cheers everyone for the responses. I did get a statement from the solicitor which I paid the amount listed as per there request.Fews days after completion they and also the agent called to say the amount for the estate agent fees was wrong and should have been 150 extra.The solicitor told me to drop a cheque in on the estate agent which further more I ain't happy doing as everything should go through him.Just trying to work out if I have a leg to stand on if I tell em I'm not paying extra now they have changed there mind, at the end of the day looks like the solicitor has messed up and not asked for the correct amount so as I see it he should front the extra.

surely you had a fixed percentage agreed with the estate agent? Work it out using sale price and then check what solicitor charged you. If you owe it, then just pay it as you did sign a contract with the agent agreeing the terms.
ANDYWOODY01

So how much were you supposed to pay, ie forget about what the solicitor said, look at the contract you signed with the estate agent. If you paid £150 less then you owe the money, if you paid the right amount, you don't.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions