Groups

Post office...

Took some parcels today with labels printed using the online RM service which loads up eBay orders and makes it easy. All paid for, no trouble.

Take them into the post office and notice a customer being told he'd underpaid on an item. Assumed he'd perhaps brought in an old label...

Took 3 items to the desk, one a letter, which went through fine, and then 2 parcels which were apparently both under priced. 5p each, mind, but still apparently the wrong price.

I told them I'd used the RM website and they essentially told me I was in the wrong and made me feel like an idiot. I've been sending items for years and never once had this problem.

Went outside, called Post Office and RM customer services, and was transferred to a team who confirmed I'd paid the correct prices and DESPITE this I was still told I hadn't paid enough in branch. I told them they had an internal number to call and 10 minutes later they came out telling me they had to put it through. No apology, just mumbles to colleagues.

So how can such an important message not be communicated properly despite the change in pricing coming into effect LAST APRIL. And secondly, how many other customers will have been conned?

Might only be pennies but for bulk sellers that adds up. It's not up to a customer to update a company on their own rules!

41 Comments

Exact same thing happened to me the other day. Was it a small parcel tracked by any chance? £4.40 and I was told it was underpaid and should be £4.45. I explained it was done through Royal Mails website but I was refused. I took it to a post office 2 miles away and it was accepted! I absolutely hate going to the post office because it's a different process every time and full of job worths

murphyjew

Exact same thing happened to me the other day. Was it a small parcel … Exact same thing happened to me the other day. Was it a small parcel tracked by any chance? £4.40 and I was told it was underpaid and should be £4.45. I explained it was done through Royal Mails website but I was refused. I took it to a post office 2 miles away and it was accepted! I absolutely hate going to the post office because it's a different process every time and full of job worths

travelling 2 miles to save 5p
    might make the newsletter!

brilly

travelling 2 miles to save 5pmight make the newsletter!

brilly

travelling 2 miles to save 5pmight make the newsletter!

I didn't travel 2 miles to save 5p. If I didn't take it to another post office and get it sent I would have had to download a form from Royal Mail, fill in the postage information, send it off and wait 3-5 working days for a refund for the initial £4.40 I paid.

murphyjew

I didn't travel 2 miles to save 5p. If I didn't take it to another post … I didn't travel 2 miles to save 5p. If I didn't take it to another post office and get it sent I would have had to download a form from Royal Mail, fill in the postage information, send it off and wait 3-5 working days for a refund for the initial £4.40 I paid.

no newsletter for you
    spoiled the dream

Banned

So you got the weight wrong?

Whos fault is that?

This is why I will never use the website. If I have to go all the way to the post office anyway, I want a person to do the postage and make sure it's right.
    Edited by: "MSK." 24th Jan

YouDontWantToKnow

So you got the weight wrong? Whos fault is that?

It's not the weight that is wrong, the RM website charges 5p less than if you pay in shop, and it seems some of the staff don't know about this.

For the sake of 10p was this really worthy of a thread?

RossD89

silly ross
    "download a form from Royal Mail, fill in the postage information, send it off and wait 3-5 working days for a refund for the initial £xx paid"

brilly

silly ross"download a form from Royal Mail, fill in the postage … silly ross"download a form from Royal Mail, fill in the postage information, send it off and wait 3-5 working days for a refund for the initial £xx paid"

I bet they still know the difference between a job worth and a jobsworth, though.
    Edited by: "RossD89" 24th Jan

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

I quoted a 516g at 550, and 130g at 150. So no. Read the thread.

Original Poster

murphyjew

Exact same thing happened to me the other day. Was it a small parcel … Exact same thing happened to me the other day. Was it a small parcel tracked by any chance? £4.40 and I was told it was underpaid and should be £4.45. I explained it was done through Royal Mails website but I was refused. I took it to a post office 2 miles away and it was accepted! I absolutely hate going to the post office because it's a different process every time and full of job worths

One was a second class small parcel (stupid thing weighed less than a large letter magazine yet charged £2 more...), and the other an international parcel.

Original Poster

RossD89

I can send you my paypal address and you can deposit 10p a day in there if you like?

Taz1529

I can send you my paypal address and you can deposit 10p a day in there … I can send you my paypal address and you can deposit 10p a day in there if you like?

I wasn't trivialising the value of 10p. I was trivialising this thread.

I'm sure Stu will be along in the morning

Banned

Taz1529

516g??

Not a 515g or 517g?

lol

Time to get your own back on that post office, go in with loads of parcels, lots of change and take ages.

It's because prices in post offices are 5p more the online. Some post offices don't mind but some are really aggy about it and make you pay the remainder. If you go again just say this is a royal mail stamped letter/parcel are you going to accept it.

If you take a parcel to a post office they get 20p or a % of the cost. When you prepay they get zip. I drop off sacks at mine but give them a few parcels by way of saying thanks.

Post Office workers/owners are being shafted by their own employers, print your own is yet a further loss of business to already battered industry. My dad ran a very busy village office for 35 years until he was made redundant. The business was bought for 50k and sold for the same amount after being very successfully ran. Compare that to buying a residential property and you'll get an idea of the mess they made of it. The company sold off the cream and failed to come up with new business despite huge opportunities over the past 10 years. No excuse for not knowing your jobs but please give them a break for being grumpy occasionally, many are facing a serious loss of income and their capital plans for retirement at the moment.

RossD89

Have you not seen how much heat a penny saving on petrol garnishes?

RossD89

You must be new to HUKD X)

I thought it was just the Post Office in my town that did this.

I send newspapers to New Zealand to my brother, local rag, and usually wait until just under 1kg of them.
    Go onto website look how much today for printed paper rate to Zone 2, New Zealand, then go to Post Office and get charged 10-14p more every time.

I've rung up they said send receipt and of course nothing else happened after that!

I'm just glad that it's not just me that's paying a % as splatsplatsplat described we are possibly paying to use the facilities.

spyro123

Time to get your own back on that post office, go in with loads of … Time to get your own back on that post office, go in with loads of parcels, lots of change and take ages.

I don't get mentality like that.

The PO worker is still working there shift whether you take in change or have a quick transaction, only people you hold up are customers behind you.

moneysavingkitten

I'm sure Stu will be along in the morning

Post Office nothing to do with Royal Mail

stuarthanley

Post Office nothing to do with Royal Mail

I know, yet here you are

Original Poster

Taz1529

wallzone

I thought it was just the Post Office in my town that did this.I send … I thought it was just the Post Office in my town that did this.I send newspapers to New Zealand to my brother, local rag, and usually wait until just under 1kg of them.Go onto website look how much today for printed paper rate to Zone 2, New Zealand, then go to Post Office and get charged 10-14p more every time.I've rung up they said send receipt and of course nothing else happened after that!I'm just glad that it's not just me that's paying a % as splatsplatsplat described we are possibly paying to use the facilities.

Well they read the weights out to me...

I'm not really against the idea of supporting the post office, but then, if royal mail are happy to charge me £2.80 for a parcel that weighs no more than a large letter and fits in a post box, I don't really fancy paying any more than I already am.

moneysavingkitten

I know, yet here you are

Always have to check post office threads for the ignorant users ranting at RM.

So far, so good.

Original Poster

stuarthanley

Always have to check post office threads for the ignorant users ranting … Always have to check post office threads for the ignorant users ranting at RM. So far, so good.

Except this is clearly a problem with the post office, which I have said

stuarthanley

Always have to check post office threads for the ignorant users ranting … Always have to check post office threads for the ignorant users ranting at RM. So far, so good.

I could always start if you're suggesting I was ignorant of the difference or ranting. I just know you can't keep your beak out

Taz1529

Except this is clearly a problem with the post office, which I have said … Except this is clearly a problem with the post office, which I have said

Have I disputed that?

moneysavingkitten

I could always start if you're suggesting I was ignorant of the … I could always start if you're suggesting I was ignorant of the difference or ranting. I just know you can't keep your beak out

Not at all but if you're going to mention my name, I'll reply.

stuarthanley

stuarthanley
    stuarthanley
    stuarthanley

*invokes stuarts presence*

brilly

stuarthanleystuarthanleystuarthanley*invokes stuarts presence*

Pretty much, yes.

stuarthanley

Just felt like a long time since I've seen you, I think

moneysavingkitten

stuarthanley

Could we discuss the perceived link between the BBC & the TV Licence too, please?

That confusion is always a good use of everybody's time.

moneysavingkitten

stuarthanley

I could go on to discuss who 'their' enforcement division actually are too, if you like?

moneysavingkitten

stuarthanley

moneysavingkitten

stuarthanley

moneysavingkitten

fanpages Could we discuss the perceived link between the BBC & the TV … fanpages Could we discuss the perceived link between the BBC & the TV Licence too, please?That confusion is always a good use of everybody's time.I could go on to discuss who 'their' enforcement division actually are too, if you like?

https://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/no.gif

YouDontWantToKnow

​no they didn't there's alot of idiots being employed at the post office who have no clue what they should charge and make up alot of bs I think most post office have had new staff in for what ever reasons and these new staff either have had very little training or are just plain stupid and rude. They tried tell me I couldn't use stamps for special delivery. on another occasion they actually told me I couldn't send a recorded delivery letter to dvla I would have to use special delivery as they had to much mail and didn't have time to sign for the recorded delivery so u think it's the customers fault for these people who don't know how to do their job and the worse bit they are very rude to customers.

moneysavingkitten

I could go on to discuss who 'their' enforcement division actually are … I could go on to discuss who 'their' enforcement division actually are too, if you like?

​is it g4s I had a letter posted by hand about tv enforcement and popped outside to see a one in a g4s car asked her did u just drop that letter in my house do u want come in and check for a tv she quickly refused and told me she just delivered letters and didn't want come and have a look I thought after all them threatining letters she may have come in and.had a look
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1817
      2. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?33
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767410
      4. [Xbox] 6 Months Xbox Live For £14.99 (When Purchasing Selected Games At Ama…34

See more discussions