Post Office, pushing Special Delivery and keeping other options quiet....

17 replies
Found 5th Oct 2010
wondering if it's just my post office that does this....

i ask to send a parcel with insurance, they offer special delivery.....then they pretty much stop there.

on 3 occasions now i've had to say - can i get a cheaper delivery and add insurance to it?

then, they, with a grunt begrudgingly say "yes" and offer normal postage with insurance on top - i sent something this morning for £5 whereas Spec Del would have cost £8.50 or something.

pretty disgusting behavior. i once overheard them doing the same to an elderly gentleman and i had to interject.

anyone else have the same experience? is it a policy to "push" special delivery?

17 Comments

I work In a po and if something is valuable or urgent or has passports etc in then we recomend special delivery, this can sometimes b good value to people, but we would also tell other options!!

I get the same at my PO. The other day I overheard them trying to get a lady who was sending a friend some clothes overseas, to get her to buy Airsure and insure it for £500 adding like another tenner despite her pleas that a) the clothes were cheap and worth about £20 and b) she just wanted it to go by surface mail as it wasn’t urgent. I always get the hard sell from them about buying car/phone/house insurance and taking out their credit card, it’s ridiculous. It’s like you say no, I’m not interested and then they try and push another product on you.

Oh no the sales staff are trying to sell their top product. Whatever will we do...

I think u should change post offices, we r told to try and sell other products like insurance, but we don't as the customer will ask us if interested. The reason they push these is cos they get about 25p on competion of a sale!!

Would dearly love to change PO's however they closed down most of the local ones in and around the surrounding areas so this one is the only convenient location unless I spend 40 mins travelling to the next one!

i was told by a po manager that special delivery makes them the most money easily, hence the push rofl

I know it's wrong to hard sell any product but they have to try or there would b even more offices closing, there r many services bein taken away from the post office like Anglian water and tv licence to mention a couple, so they have to try and make money wherever possible. But with any item posted all options should b quoted!

i sent a parcel yesterday special delivery and the women asked if i was sure i wanted to send it that way as recorded is cheaper.

And more money is made from special deliverys but not that much more! We r given targets to how many specials we have to sell, but r office does nt take any notice!
But special delivery is a great service most of the time and basic rate covers £500 contents and next day delivery, trackable with a signature, and when all works it is worth every penny!!

Original Poster

muffin247

i was told by a po manager that special delivery makes them the most … i was told by a po manager that special delivery makes them the most money easily, hence the push rofl

thats what i imagined.

deathtrap, i understand they must try and make money like any other business but they aren't privatised yet! and i would definitely expect more clarity.

also, i think the post office has a reputation. it certainly has one with the older folk and its downright wrong to not start with the cheapest option when informing of the services on offer.

if you went to get your car cleaned and the guys offered you the full valet for £30, then needed prompting in order for them to offer the outside only clean for £20 i probably wouldn't use them again on that principle. having to ask makes the customer feel uncomfortable.

Original Poster

angelamay

And more money is made from special deliverys but not that much more! We … And more money is made from special deliverys but not that much more! We r given targets to how many specials we have to sell, but r office does nt take any notice!But special delivery is a great service most of the time and basic rate covers £500 contents and next day delivery, trackable with a signature, and when all works it is worth every penny!!

sure its great if those extras are required. i didnt care for speed or trackable and the item was just under a £100. £8 down to £5 or so isnt something im just going to wave on and forget about! that's a pint!!!

If something is worth more than £41 then 1st or 2nd class wouldn't cover the value, so (size permitting) the other options r special- next day or standard parcel- 3-5 days with extra value added on, orvtheres is parcel force starting at £10.99. Which make special look the better option, or standard if not in a hurry, both should always b quoted!!

They do that in my post office, Lady is far to rude too, sorry to the person who works there on HUKD but from my experience in my local one - they're soooo stuck up! Feel like shoving that parcel where the sun don't shine

Imagine them trying to sell a more expensive product, shame on them!

Why don't you go in and ask 'what is the cheapest way to send this with insurance?'

Boom123

They do that in my post office, Lady is far to rude too, sorry to the … They do that in my post office, Lady is far to rude too, sorry to the person who works there on HUKD but from my experience in my local one - they're soooo stuck up! Feel like shoving that parcel where the sun don't shine

it's the same in mine. they also seem to make up the prices as the go along. depending on who serves you the cost of sending an xbox game varies by a bout a quid.

To be fair my local Post Office (not a sub-post office) offers good advise about the postal options, having said that it does become obvious when they have been told to promote insurance or whatever.

my post office has a special counter for special delivery lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which wall design do you like best?89
    2. word association Game74244939
    3. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522901
    4. Add one, leave one game54415485

See more discussions