Post-Truth is the Word of the Year, beating Brexiteer

22 replies
Found 16th Nov 2016
post-truth: relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.

In the year of Trump and Brexit, it had to be didn't it?

22 Comments

blame social media and the news media.

Original Poster

shadey12

blame social media and the news media.

I think this is something we all have to take responsibility for.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I think this is something we all have to take responsibility for.

​some more than others

Don't worry, I have this baiting thread covered.

Rabble rabble rabble rabble Brexit rabble rabble immigration rabble rabble mainstream media rabble rabble rabble liberals rabble rabble xenophobes rabble rabble rabble Trump rabble rabble rabble [suspended].

Original Poster

RossD89

Don't worry, I have this baiting thread covered.Rabble rabble rabble … Don't worry, I have this baiting thread covered.Rabble rabble rabble rabble Brexit rabble rabble immigration rabble rabble mainstream media rabble rabble rabble liberals rabble rabble xenophobes rabble rabble rabble Trump rabble rabble rabble [suspended].

It's a discussion about the English language. Have anything on-topic to add rather than trying to take another thread off-topic?

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

It's a discussion about the English language. Have anything on-topic to … It's a discussion about the English language. Have anything on-topic to add rather than trying to take another thread off-topic?

Of course it is

Banned

*yawn* Another Brexit-bash thread from WelshDeals.

You know the nonsense that Time pulled recently? google.co.uk/amp…te/

They are so desperate it's pathetic.

Banned

https://media.giphy.com/media/7QZ0XOOuTaMdW/giphy.gif

Obvs. who made this "word of the year" was a remainer!

Brexiteer is word of the decade! The brave soles who campaigned and voted for what is right!

Come forth gallant, bold, rightful Brexiteers and like this post!

You honoured citizen who's action can never be underestimated or overruled.

Edited by: "groenleader" 16th Nov 2016

Original Poster

groenleader

Obvs. who made this "word of the year" was a remainer!Brexiteer is word … Obvs. who made this "word of the year" was a remainer!Brexiteer is word of the decade! The brave soles who campaigned and voted for what is right! Come forth gallant, bold, rightful Brexiteers and like this post! You honoured citizen who's action can never be underestimated or overruled.

Perfect post as an example of this. It's a post that appeals to 'emotion and personal belief' rather than objective facts.

Thank you.

anyone want to start another thread on how long it will be before op pulls this thread?

This thread needs spamming.

Weird thing is that although being such a popular word, this news story is the first time I've heard it used!

Original Poster

davewave

Weird thing is that although being such a popular word, this news story … Weird thing is that although being such a popular word, this news story is the first time I've heard it used!

Why is that weird?

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Why is that weird?

why do you ask?

Original Poster

davewave

why do you ask?

I'm asking why it's weird that you wouldn't have read or heard it used.

Personally it's come up a tremendous amount in news coverage, specifically editorial and comment, and I've witnessed it used a lot by normal people discussing Trump, Brexit and news media in general.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I'm asking why it's weird that you wouldn't have read or heard it used. … I'm asking why it's weird that you wouldn't have read or heard it used. Personally it's come up a tremendous amount in news coverage, specifically editorial and comment, and I've witnessed it used a lot by normal people discussing Trump, Brexit and news media in general.

Yes and No, choose whichever.

Banned

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I'm asking why it's weird that you wouldn't have read or heard it used. … I'm asking why it's weird that you wouldn't have read or heard it used. Personally it's come up a tremendous amount in news coverage, specifically editorial and comment, and I've witnessed it used a lot by normal people discussing Trump, Brexit and news media in general.

The media is against Brexit so go figure they wouldn't take a chance at it.

Original Poster

Spasho

The media is against Brexit so go figure they wouldn't take a chance at … The media is against Brexit so go figure they wouldn't take a chance at it.

It's not surprising that a majority of the media is against it when you consider the sort of background they tend to come from, their levels of education etc.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

It's not surprising that a majority of the media is against it when you … It's not surprising that a majority of the media is against it when you consider the sort of background they tend to come from, their levels of education etc.

Don't bite people!

Original Poster

sparxuk

Don't bite people!

I wouldn't dream of it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941396
    2. Marmite1823
    3. Krack WiFi vuln1121