Postal Strike - Still got Royal Mail post this morning

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all Royal Mail was on strike today. Or have I missed something?

We ended up getting loads of post this morning from Royal mail. In fact most of the stuff was only ordered last Sunday/Monday and I wasn't expecting it for at least a week late, irrespective of the striker (cause I used the free delivery option on various sites - especially Amazon's 2nd class post which usually takes longer).

Some came from Jersey, whilst most came from UK. Unfortunately we didn't see who delivered it.

I'm not complaining, just curious. I can'r really fault our postie and our local sorting office who have always been very good and helpful.

Charlie Brown

29 Comments

Why are they on strike?

They are doing it in stages, you will get post today. They are also collecting ,it's the sorting office that's on strike today, tomorrow the sorting office work and the actual posties are on strike, so no deliveries or collections apart from special del

I got my parcel today to? 1 was sent 2nd class on Tuesday and got it today..not that im complaining

I thought that and I had post but I've just read something on Royal Mail which explains about the different people on strike and apparently it is tomorrow that will affect us more. I will try and find a link

Got it royalmail.com/por…760

Today, Thursday 22nd October strikes are taking place at mail centres and network distribution units across the country.

In most parts of the country mail deliveries should be made as normal today. Staff at most delivery offices will be taking strike action tomorrow, Friday 23rd October.

The exception to this is where a delivery office is located on the same site as a mail centre. Where this is the case, delivery staff are striking with mail centre staff and mail deliveries in those areas are likely to be affected today, Thursday 22nd October but will resume on Friday.

Most collections normally made by delivery office and collection hub staff will take place as usual today but are likely to be affected on Friday 23rd October, when collection services will be very limited in most areas. If a mail centre usually performs customer collections, these may be affected today, Thursday 22nd, rather than Friday 23rd October.

It's a 2 stage strike, today the sorting office and tomorrow the delivery staff.
I honestly wasn't expecting anything to make it through.

queenlush;6653126

They are doing it in stages, you will get post today. They are also … They are doing it in stages, you will get post today. They are also collecting ,it's the sorting office that's on strike today, tomorrow the sorting office work and the actual posties are on strike, so no deliveries or collections apart from special del

Yeah but why, more money less hours ect...

Dellboy182;6653116

Why are they on strike?

One word - Adam Crozier.

DHL and UPS ftw...

Original Poster

MBeeching;6653141

I honestly wasn't expecting anything to make it through.

That's what I thought and was surprised. Must Listen more to the news and get the facts :whistling:

Thanks for link Wookiemummy

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

Charlie Brown

Dellboy182;6653148

Yeah but why, more money less hours ect...

I think it's because Royal Mail are trying to introduce new machinery into the sorting offices which will make them run more efficiently, but will end up replacing thousands of postal workers.

I got the letters this morning, and then the packetss came at 11ish....both great

Deliveries are only affected on friday

I got no post today, don't know why.....

cufc90;6653489

I got no post today, don't know why.....

Not popular? :thumbsup:

Just came up on Sky that there will also be a 3 day strike next week from Thursday.

London is most affected been waiting 4 weeks for delivery's.

waterloo;6653509

:shock:

waterloo;6653509

Thats crazy, not looking forward to Christmas shopping online this year!

grabbit;6653540

:shock:

Yes 4 weeks it took 3 ebay items to get to me with royal mail all sent first class and 2 was recorded delivery 1 of the items i bought was sent less than 6 miles away from where i live unbelievable service.

ade2j;6653550

I'm just going to use amazon and other sites that use couriers, I try never to use Royal Mail as they are useless!

ade2j;6653550

The sellers even sent the items again it was taking so long we thought they was lost until i received then yesterday. I'm still waiting for the replacements to arrive these was sent 2 weeks ago i even got a card put though my letter box to say i not in and to collect at my local sorting office when in fact i was in and they just dropped the card in the box what a liberty.

chunky;6653609

I'm just going to use amazon and other sites that use couriers, I try … I'm just going to use amazon and other sites that use couriers, I try never to use Royal Mail as they are useless!

I can't fault royalmail,I'd like to see someone else do a better job with the volume of mail they handle,

That said if they're gonna strike like that couriers seem to be the only way to go

chunky;6653609

I'm just going to use amazon and other sites that use couriers, !

+1

With 2 days strike this week, 3 days next week............by the time Xmas comes around it'll be all week. lol

grabbit;6653677

I can't fault royalmail,I'd like to see someone else do a better job with … I can't fault royalmail,I'd like to see someone else do a better job with the volume of mail they handle,That said if they're gonna strike like that couriers seem to be the only way to go

I can deffo fault them...I have mail going 'missing' weekly, parcels that never arrive and regularly things posted to wrong address...or just left sticking out the letterbox..personally I have found them since I moved AWFUL!!

chunky;6654141

I can deffo fault them...I have mail going 'missing' weekly, parcels that … I can deffo fault them...I have mail going 'missing' weekly, parcels that never arrive and regularly things posted to wrong address...or just left sticking out the letterbox..personally I have found them since I moved AWFUL!!

Did you find them ok before you moved?

chunky;6654141

I can deffo fault them...I have mail going 'missing' weekly, parcels that … I can deffo fault them...I have mail going 'missing' weekly, parcels that never arrive and regularly things posted to wrong address...or just left sticking out the letterbox..personally I have found them since I moved AWFUL!!

surely thats the actual postmans fault not royal mail

Original Poster

waterloo;6653588

Yes 4 weeks it took 3 ebay items to get to me with royal mail all sent … Yes 4 weeks it took 3 ebay items to get to me with royal mail all sent first class and 2 was recorded delivery 1 of the items i bought was sent less than 6 miles away from where i live unbelievable service.

Not trying to be funny, but is it possible the ebayer might be messing you about? Got mates in west london, who still seem to be getting their post, but don't know about today though.

Hope you get it sorted.

Re Amazon: I'd ordered some cd's they arrived via 2nd Class Royal Mail quicker than first :whistling:

Charlie Brown

I can finally do my 'funky dance'. Windows 7 arrived via Citylink, then I went home to find Royal Mail had delivered my £100 British Gas refund and Forza 3.

*dances* 'Fun... funnnnky.... funky funk funk'

Original Poster

Still got mail, on Friday :thumbsup:

Be interesting to see what happens next week with 3 Days of planned strike!:w00t:

Charlie Brown
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1841335
    2. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2425
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767171
    4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047080

See more discussions