Postpals charity thread. Make a poorly child smile today by sending a card or something in the post - it's that simple.

Found 5th Jan 2013
I have been telling people about the charity postpals, which is a very simple idea - people sending cards or a little something nice in the post to poorly children to make them smile and make their days a little brighter.

The charity has a website with the profiles of the children with a photo of each child and details such as birthday, their brothers and sisters, likes, dislikes, interests, hobbies, favourite colour etc and an address to send the post to.

It can be a card, a postcard, a letter, a picture drawn by your children, a little treat like a bottle of bubbles, bracelet, stickers, nail varnish, aeroplanes - anything suitable is perfect for sending.

The children range in ages and levels of disability and these are explained in the profiles.

Write a card, stick a stamp on the envelope, send it to the child, and bring a smile to their face, and that of their family.

It makes a big difference to receive some post when you're poorly, and doesn't take long!
Community Updates
MiscCardMake Up
288 Comments
Charity website with details: postpals.co.uk/

List of children on the TLC list (ie having a really rough time at the moment and need some extra smiles: postpals.co.uk/tlc/

Full list of children: postpals.co.uk/fin…ls/

Quick link to one of the children to see what it's all about: postpals.co.uk/pal…-c/

Don'ts: Don't say 'get well soon' 'I know how you feel' 'keep fighting' etc. or expect a reply.

Do: Include brothers and sisters, involve your children, talk about what you did at the weekend (for example), talk about your family, talk about your pets, say what you got for your birthday/Christmas or about something which interests you. It doesn't have to be long, just friendly and upbeat.

Great things to send are; stickers, sensory things (so touchy feely books, textured items, things with different coloured lights), peppa pig things, bob the builder things, crafty things, bouncy balls, toys, cuddly toys, make up, nail varnish, aeroplanes, lip balms etc. If it's child-friendly then it's suitable for sending!

If you use Andrex loo rolls and Anchor butter than I'd love to have the codes (send me a PM) and when I have enough codes I'll send the rewards to the children!

Anchor butter will be used to send cupcake cases to the children (8 codes = 1 set) rewardsclub.anchordairy.co.uk/rew…rd/

Andrex loo rolls will be used for labrador puppy toys andrexpuppypoints.co.uk/rew…rd/

Some people have donated some £2.50 Amazon vouchers from the Christmas HUKD promotion so I'll show some photos of where the money went and to which children.
*photos removed as I have posted new photos of the latest packages below and I don't want to over-do the photos!*

i844.photobucket.com/alb…jpg

William and his 3 brothers have an aeroplane each to play with (along with a card)
postpals.co.uk/pal…-s/

Lydia has a smiley-squidgy-stretchy-man and some bubbles (and a pretty card with shoes on!)
postpals.co.uk/pal…-m/

Adam and his brother and sister have some bubbles each (and a nice card)
postpals.co.uk/pal…-b/

Poppy and her sister have some bubbles (and a nice card)
postpals.co.uk/pal…-h/

Megan and her brother have some bubbles each
postpals.co.uk/pal…-h/

Elouise has some bubbles and a pink candycane
postpals.co.uk/pal…-g/

Package for Brooklyn and his 2 sisters
postpals.co.uk/pal…-a/

Package for Daisy and brothers & sisters
postpals.co.uk/pal…-n/

Package for Aiden and his brother
postpals.co.uk/pal…-d/

Example of what I wrote in a card recently to Hannah and her brother:
postpals.co.uk/pal…-p/
16797445-kOpPn

Keep up all the good charity work you do sickly sweet - It's truly amazing
mad likes there wtp
greatest666

mad likes there wtp

Having one thread should be better now than having a few on the go (which were all for different reasons but I can see how one thread is better, I've asked mods to close the others so they don't get bumped). It should keep things simpler and stops the threads clogging up the misc!

Firefly1

Keep up all the good charity work you do sickly sweet - It's truly … Keep up all the good charity work you do sickly sweet - It's truly amazing

The great thing about the misc is that there are some very lovely people who see the idea of the charity and see how fab it is so are sending cards or goodies - if just one person sends something then the thread is worth it.
SS I have been reading the post pals page and I was wondering how parents and carers sign up for post pals? I bet many don't know about it.
Also, is there something to enable people to write to the parents and carers too? I bet a fair few would like to know they aren't alone.
daturastorm

SS I have been reading the post pals page and I was wondering how parents … SS I have been reading the post pals page and I was wondering how parents and carers sign up for post pals? I bet many don't know about it.

I don't know but I would suggest that if you know a child who is suitable then you give the website address to their parent/carer/guardian and then they use the 'contact us' page to send postpals a message:
postpals.co.uk/con…ct/
daturastorm

Also, is there something to enable people to write to the parents and … Also, is there something to enable people to write to the parents and carers too? I bet a fair few would like to know they aren't alone.

The names of the parents/guardians are on the individual child's profiles, you could always send a letter addressed to them at the address (each child has an address listed which I think is a friend/neighbour's address as the charity say that they don't disclose the child's address for security purposes, and then the friend/neighbour passes on the post).
Ok, thanks. I'm going to have a look around to see what I can find that will fit in envelopes.
daturastorm

Ok, thanks. I'm going to have a look around to see what I can find that … Ok, thanks. I'm going to have a look around to see what I can find that will fit in envelopes.

A tip is that 'large letter' 2nd class post is just 69p so if you can get things within those dimensions then it'll be cheaper than a 'small packet' which costs £2.20 to post.

Postal dimensions (all at 2nd class prices):

Letter
Length: 240mm max
Width: 165mm max
Thickness: 5mm max

0-100g
50p

Large letter
Length: 353mm max
Width: 250mm max
Thickness: 25mm max

0-100g / 101-250g / 251-500g / 501-750g
69p ____ £1.10 ____ £1.40 ____ £1.90

Small Packet
Length: over 353mm
Width: over 250mm
Thickness: over 25mm

0-750g / 751-1000g
£2.20 ____ £3.50

wow, such amazing people on misc.. will definitly have a look on the website and send some bits.
You're also collecting codes from things aren't you SS?
Butter, loo rolls, milk?
Teeth_Extractor

You're also collecting codes from things aren't you SS?Butter, loo rolls, … You're also collecting codes from things aren't you SS?Butter, loo rolls, milk?:)

Good memory!

Yes, codes on;
Anchor butter will be used to send cupcake cases to the children (8 codes = 1 set) rewardsclub.anchordairy.co.uk/rew…rd/

Andrex loo rolls will be used for labrador puppy toys andrexpuppypoints.co.uk/rew…rd/ (they're out of stock of the toys but they normally re-stock within a few weeks). (I have previously saved the codes for my nephews but I've set up another account for the postpals children if you would like to donate codes to the postpals children).

Cravendale milk have stopped their promotion but when it's back on I'll be saving for them again!

Any other reward schemes I've missed let me know!
Bump
Hi SS I'm also doing this, great cause :-) such a shame about the recent losses

I owe someone a very big thank you for a parcel which arrived today (a box absolutely full to the brim of goodies like hair clips, hair bands, activity sheets, colouring pencils, cards etc.) and don't know who to thank!
So, lovely mystery person, THANK YOU!
I will get the goodies packaged up into parcels for the children, do some photos for you to see who gets what etc. It may take a little while as I'm not feeling well at the moment but I'm hoping that by next week the meds kick in.
I also owe big thank yous to chalkysoil, missmop, lizzibear (and 2 other members who PM'd me but didn't post in any threads so I'll keep you anonymous but you know who you are).

Mallow2

Hi SS I'm also doing this, great cause :-) such a shame about the recent … Hi SS I'm also doing this, great cause :-) such a shame about the recent losses

I can just imagine the children's faces when they get a nice surprise
I've started a justgiving page for postpals too so will raise some funds for them (so far the total is £40 )
sickly sweet

I owe someone a very big thank you for a parcel which arrived today (a … I owe someone a very big thank you for a parcel which arrived today (a box absolutely full to the brim of goodies like hair clips, hair bands, activity sheets, colouring pencils, cards etc.) and don't know who to thank!So, lovely mystery person, THANK YOU!

I realised the other day that I didn't put anything on the box...just posted it! I hope you weren't expecting the exercise ball in there!!
i've just sent a pm with some puppy points
Hi sickly sweet,

Do you think postpals would need or enjoy these teddies.

If yes then pm me your address and i will get them posted to you a.s.a.p

16923688-eosar[/img]

sickly sweet

I owe someone a very big thank you for a parcel which arrived today (a … I owe someone a very big thank you for a parcel which arrived today (a box absolutely full to the brim of goodies like hair clips, hair bands, activity sheets, colouring pencils, cards etc.) and don't know who to thank!So, lovely mystery person, THANK YOU!

purple22

computsoft

Hi sickly sweet, Do you think postpals would need or enjoy these … Hi sickly sweet, Do you think postpals would need or enjoy these teddies.If yes then pm me your address and i will get them posted to you a.s.a.p[/img]

Thank you! PM sent to say thanks as well

Super, I'm just waiting for them to restock the site with more puppy toys. Any more let me know, I'll keep on saving until the promo ends.

Yes please, they are perfect and would be super! It may take me a little while to post them on as they'll be 'packet' size to post which is quite expensive so I'll wait for eg. when the children are in hospital or need some serious TLC and send them a teddy to cheer them up If that's ok with you then I'll send you my address, they'd bring lots of smiles and really cheer the poorly kids up a lot I;m sure!
Just a thought... are you signed up for the Royal Mail panel? They send me 4 Large Letter plus a dozen standard 1st class stamps every month for doing their surveys. In addition to that (the sneaky bit!) lots of the letters, and especially the packet sized parcels I receive as part of the program aren't postmarked, so I just reuse them. You could possibly save quite a bit if you managed to get onto it?
panddda

Just a thought... are you signed up for the Royal Mail panel? They send … Just a thought... are you signed up for the Royal Mail panel? They send me 4 Large Letter plus a dozen standard 1st class stamps every month for doing their surveys. In addition to that (the sneaky bit!) lots of the letters, and especially the packet sized parcels I receive as part of the program aren't postmarked, so I just reuse them. You could possibly save quite a bit if you managed to get onto it?

I did it 2 years ago for 2 months but then they said they had enough people in my area. It was also a bit of a hassle as it's a few minutes drive to my local post office, which is now really out of the way due to a 9 month road closure so the nearest post office is 15 mins away. Shame as I'd like the stamps X)
sickly sweet

I did it 2 years ago for 2 months but then they said they had enough … I did it 2 years ago for 2 months but then they said they had enough people in my area. It was also a bit of a hassle as it's a few minutes drive to my local post office, which is now really out of the way due to a 9 month road closure so the nearest post office is 15 mins away. Shame as I'd like the stamps X)

Ah, that's a bit of a shame. I never have any going spare really, we get through so many, or I'd have saved them for you.

Still working on the kids rooms - likely to be a lengthy process, but I've got a box of cards on the side that ill post on when I've sorted through the other stuff to add to it!
sickly sweet

purple22

computsoft

Hi sickly sweet, Do you think postpals would need or enjoy these … Hi sickly sweet, Do you think postpals would need or enjoy these teddies.If yes then pm me your address and i will get them posted to you a.s.a.p[/img]

Hi ss, i got your pm and as the cost to you will be £2.20 each, I will send you over £40.00 to cover any or all postage costs hope this helps and i will post them on monday
Edited by: "computsoft" 19th Jan 2013
Hi sickly sweet,

I have posted the teddies via special next day delivery and they should be with you by 1pm tomorrow weather permitting take care and all my best wishes
computsoft

Hi sickly sweet, I have posted the teddies via special next day delivery … Hi sickly sweet, I have posted the teddies via special next day delivery and they should be with you by 1pm tomorrow weather permitting take care and all my best wishes

Really nice thing to do
DLM

Really nice thing to do

Thank you for you kind words, i just have a big warm heart and as they say every little bit helps
Edited by: "computsoft" 21st Jan 2013
computsoft

Thank you for you kind words, i just have a big warm heart and as they … Thank you for you kind words, i just have a big warm heart and as they say every little bit helps

I'd help but I am skint at the moment

I might volunteer soon x x
Ah not good times then hun

Don't worry things will pick up its a new year and there is lots of time to do lots of things, opportunities are around every corner so keep smiling and no worrying x x
Ok still up!
youchoose

Ok still up!

^^ took over 2 hours X)
It's way too late for me, time for bed. Night night!
computsoft

Wow, they arrived safely today and they are absolutely gorgeous!!
Really stunning.
They all have little stories as well on the tags and are all different and really lovely bears.
Truely perfect.
I'll have a look at which bears will be re-homed with which children and let you who will be looking after them
A big thank you also for the help with posting them on, you really are a very kind and special man!
sickly sweet

Wow, they arrived safely today and they are absolutely gorgeous!!Really … Wow, they arrived safely today and they are absolutely gorgeous!!Really stunning.They all have little stories as well on the tags and are all different and really lovely bears.Truely perfect.I'll have a look at which bears will be re-homed with which children and let you who will be looking after them :)A big thank you also for the help with posting them on, you really are a very kind and special man!

Hi really glad they turned up even though the weather is pants sorry there was so many you must be tired after sorting through that lot and thank you again for all your kind words you are truley an inspiration and a very kind lady thank you again for everything
Edited by: "computsoft" 22nd Jan 2013
Mallow2 and I are going to join forces and drum up support for postpals!
hotukdeals.com/mis…976

So, as per Mallow's fab idea, anyone passing Clinton's and can pick up a bag of cards for £1 in their liquidation sale and would be happy to post them on then please let us know as we can make great use of those cards and bring lots of smiles to the poorly children's faces.

Thanks mallow2!!
computsoft

Hi really glad they turned up even though the weather is pants sorry … Hi really glad they turned up even though the weather is pants sorry there was so many you must be tired after sorting through that lot and thank you again for all your kind words you are truley an inspiration and a very kind lady thank you again for everything

Aww, you are very kind. Thank you. But it's all about the children and making them smile, they're the special ones who keep on smiling and fighting.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants