Potential scam email - comcast?

LocalFound 25th Apr 2017
I've just received an email from 'Laine.Breiner@comcast.net' addressing me by my full name and address with a zip file attached. It says something about an account number, but I dont believe I have a comcast/xfinity account?

Anyone had an email similar and can suggest the best course of action? Obviously dont want to open the zip without knowing if its a scam. The domain seems to check out and the fact they have my full name and address worries me slightly.

The only recent things Ive done which use this email address which require a billing address are:

- buy computer equipment from Amazon
- buy a laptop from zoostorm on eBay

Any ideas?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
yeah it will be a scam if you dont have anything to do with comcast
Just ignore it. If you dont have an account with them then i wouldnt worry about whats inside.
The fact there is a zip file, screams scam.
Delete it. Forget about it.
yeah the zip file is suspicious, but then it also makes me wonder how they got my address
Look for a SCAMS@ for comcast. All the major companies have a reporting channel.
Here you go.

Reporting Phishing Issues

Please take the following steps to help us investigate the phishing email you received:

1) Copy the email, including headers, and paste it into a new email.

2) Add the words "phishing email" in the subject so that it can be easily identified by our Customer Security Assurance team.

3) Send to abuse@comcast.net for further investigation. (DO NOT FORWARD)

A simple forward will not preserve the headers of the original phish mail. Instead the headers will show YOU as the sender.

IF YOU USE AN EMAIL CLIENT, you can forward the message as an attachment. This can generally be done by opening the mail, clicking a drop down arrow next to Forward and choosing As Attachment. This will preserve the headers.

IF YOU POST THE MAIL YOU RECEIVED DO NOT INCLUDE THE LINK. Many times the links are still active when posted. There are those misguided souls who will click the link just to see what it looks like! Most phishing sites are just that, but a few are also sources of malware.

IF YOU POST THE EMAIL ADDRESS THE MAIL WAS SENT FROM break the link to make it non-clickable. It should look like this email address @ wherever.com/net

IF YOU POST HEADERS OF THE MAIL edit out any user names before @wherever.com/net.

You can also find the most common phishing scams listed on this page constantguard.comcast.net/alerts

Most of this can also apply to mail from other companies such as your bank, credit card company, PayPal, online stores where you have an account, other email accounts you have (ex:hotmail, yahoo, gmail), etc.

They won't ask for your log in information via email either.

Tempted to reply to the mail? DO NOT DO IT. By replying you verify that your email address is valid, which gets it put on a spammers list.

Edit to add: there is a new phish mail making the rounds.

Clues that it is not from Comcast:

1) the links have various things in the address. is-a-liberal, is-a-llama, better-than-tv, is-gone, and various nonsense such as dpyaqlahs or other random letters. Comcast does NOT have these things as part of any of their URL's.

2) this statement "your ability to use any services provided by Comcast such as voice, broadband, wireless, adsl, cable, dialup and email might become restricted".

Comcast does not provide adsl and dialup. They also have no wireless plan.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
adamspencer95

yeah the zip file is suspicious, but then it also makes me wonder how … yeah the zip file is suspicious, but then it also makes me wonder how they got my address

​If you've put you address online it's there forever unless you know what your doing... it's the internet tattoo once you put it up there it's on you for life
I have a genuine looking text message from eBay, yes sender was eBay!
it said they would suspend my account because I didn't follow down guidelines. so I had to click on a link if I didn't want it suspended.
I looked on my app for any messages and my email, nothing!
eBay always sends you a message on your eBay account and a email so yea, I deleted the text message.
Never open a zipped attachment in an email unless you have confirmed its genuine from the sender.
getmeone

Here you go. Reporting Phishing IssuesPlease take the following steps to … Here you go. Reporting Phishing IssuesPlease take the following steps to help us investigate the phishing email you received:1) Copy the email, including headers, and paste it into a new email.2) Add the words "phishing email" in the subject so that it can be easily identified by our Customer Security Assurance team.3) Send to abuse@comcast.net for further investigation. (DO NOT FORWARD)A simple forward will not preserve the headers of the original phish mail. Instead the headers will show YOU as the sender.IF YOU USE AN EMAIL CLIENT, you can forward the message as an attachment. This can generally be done by opening the mail, clicking a drop down arrow next to Forward and choosing As Attachment. This will preserve the headers.IF YOU POST THE MAIL YOU RECEIVED DO NOT INCLUDE THE LINK. Many times the links are still active when posted. There are those misguided souls who will click the link just to see what it looks like! Most phishing sites are just that, but a few are also sources of malware.IF YOU POST THE EMAIL ADDRESS THE MAIL WAS SENT FROM break the link to make it non-clickable. It should look like this email address @ wherever.com/netIF YOU POST HEADERS OF THE MAIL edit out any user names before @wherever.com/net.You can also find the most common phishing scams listed on this page http://constantguard.comcast.net/alerts Most of this can also apply to mail from other companies such as your bank, credit card company, PayPal, online stores where you have an account, other email accounts you have (ex:hotmail, yahoo, gmail), etc.They won't ask for your log in information via email either.Tempted to reply to the mail? DO NOT DO IT. By replying you verify that your email address is valid, which gets it put on a spammers list.Edit to add: there is a new phish mail making the rounds.Clues that it is not from Comcast:1) the links have various things in the address. is-a-liberal, is-a-llama, better-than-tv, is-gone, and various nonsense such as dpyaqlahs or other random letters. Comcast does NOT have these things as part of any of their URL's.2) this statement "your ability to use any services provided by Comcast such as voice, broadband, wireless, adsl, cable, dialup and email might become restricted".Comcast does not provide adsl and dialup. They also have no wireless plan.Community IconI am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon

​thanks, i've sent the email and i'll await a response.

checked all my banking/paypal etc and nothing has changed so i'm going with the assumption its a phishing email until comcast get back to me
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants