Potential Trading standards/ASA complaint: Game £20 off when you buy GoW 4

Just looking to run this past anyone who'll listen.

I got a £20 off voucher from Game as part of their offer when pre ordering Gears of War 4. This is eligible for use on selected titles, Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 included.

The small print states it has to be used on day of release and only on games costing no more then £44.99 online.

As it stands Battlefield is £46.99 so the voucher can't be redeemed against that while Titanfall is £44.99 (though both will likely rise to £49.99 on release day)

Based on this they have effectively given me a voucher I can't use. I've contacted them to clarify this but surely this is false advertising?

I'm only dealing with them as I have a gift card which I'm saddled with unfortunately.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

6 Comments

"though both will likely rise to £49.99 on release day"

At the moment you appear to be speculating on the price, if the pricea are higher than the allowed amount then it sounds like you have a grievance. I if the prices as lower than the allowed amount then there is no issues. Either way we need to see what the actual price is on release date.

Also the above would be speculation on my part without the terms and conditions to review.

Original Poster

It's just in my experience having looked to order several items recently then have been increased on release day.

Ts and Cs;
Pre-order “Gears of War 4 - Standard Edition” before 23:59 on 10 October 2016, or pre-order “Gears of War 4 - Ultimate Edition” before 23:59 on 6 October 2016 and receive a voucher for £20 off the purchase of any eligible Xbox One game that has been pre-ordered from Game. Eligible Xbox One games must be: new releases; sold by Game for no more than £44.99 if bought online, or £49.99 if bought in-store; and released between 18 October 2016 and 10 November 2016. Voucher may only be redeemed against the purchase of the standard edition of a game. Offer available online or in-store. Vouchers will be printed on the till receipt for purchases made in store, and will be sent by email for purchases made online. Vouchers may only be redeemed once against the purchase of one game, may only be redeemed against the purchase of a copy of the chosen game on disc, and must be redeemed on the day of release of the chosen game. This offer has no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash. Game reserves the right to amend or cancel this offer at any time. Offer only available to Game Reward account holders. This offer is not available for trade buyers or anyone representing a trade buyer. This does not affect your statutory rights. Game Reward terms and conditions apply, please see game.co.uk/reward

Less than £50 if in store, surely they will qualify, although not sure until final pricing

Whilst it might be a bit shifty of them you aren't out of pocket so I doubt you would get very far in complaining unless every single game you could redeem it against was above the £49.99 . Also , it is a free gift so you are not out of pocket. You have done the right thing in reading the small print . Sometimes things aren't as good as they seem at first

psychobitchfromhell

Whilst it might be a bit shifty of them you aren't out of pocket so I … Whilst it might be a bit shifty of them you aren't out of pocket so I doubt you would get very far in complaining unless every single game you could redeem it against was above the £49.99 . Also , it is a free gift so you are not out of pocket. You have done the right thing in reading the small print . Sometimes things aren't as good as they seem at first

Yep i agree with that

whereas I understand where OP is coming from how much did people pay for gears of war 4 at launch from GAME compared to other stores, then £20 discount off a £50 priced game with them, probably be not far off buying the 2 games from elsewhere on the internet

revis84

Just looking to run this past anyone who'll listen.I got a £20 off … Just looking to run this past anyone who'll listen.I got a £20 off voucher from Game as part of their offer when pre ordering Gears of War 4. This is eligible for use on selected titles, Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 included.The small print states it has to be used on day of release and only on games costing no more then £44.99 online.As it stands Battlefield is £46.99 so the voucher can't be redeemed against that while Titanfall is £44.99 (though both will likely rise to £49.99 on release day)Based on this they have effectively given me a voucher I can't use. I've contacted them to clarify this but surely this is false advertising?I'm only dealing with them as I have a gift card which I'm saddled with unfortunately.Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

As it stands you can use the voucher towards Titanfall....?

Not a lot you can do until release day, you were aware of the terms on acceptance of the voucher I presume...?

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. It was forty years ago today......617
    2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …917
    3. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2562
    4. word survey46

See more discussions