Poundworld and Carpetright add to retail gloom

Found 26th Apr
2931776-go89s.jpgDiscount retailer Poundworld is looking at closing about 100 of its 355 stores, putting up to 1,500 jobs at risk.

bbc.co.uk/new…423
Community Updates
MiscCarpet
Top comments
AW00791 m ago

I was in Poundworld today.

Where you off to tomorrow
Carpet right is one of those Always on "sale" places so I dunno what that closing down sale will look like.
14 Comments
Onlines taking over
Carpet right is one of those Always on "sale" places so I dunno what that closing down sale will look like.
AW00791 m ago

Where you off to tomorrow
jpoolfitz10 h, 58 m ago

Onlines taking over

Buying carpet online, nnnooooooo.
AW00799 h, 19 m ago

Costa Coffee.

Might see you in there missed you in poundworld
Far too many pound shops around, no wonder some are having to close, and they all seem to go to the same wholesalers for their stock.

Carpetright hook you in with the price of their carpets and hit you with the ridiculous costs of everything else. People get wise to that sooner or later.
MrSprkle12 m ago

I went into Carpet Right to price up some new carpets and the carpet …I went into Carpet Right to price up some new carpets and the carpet prices were about the same as everyone else, but then they told me they do not employ their own fitters and I had to pay for them separate and pay the fitters estimated fee, I would then have to pay a delivery charge for the carpets to be delivered and the fuel costs for the fitters on top of there fees.. They also point blank refused to allow me to fit or use my own underlay I had to buy from them or not use it.My local Independent was the same price for carpets but all fitting, delivery etc all included they even inspected my current underlay and advised as well as coming out the day before fitting to confirm measurements for free, anther charge from carpet right to check measurements.I am not surprised they are going under.

They are not going under, yet. I think they still make a small profit (BBC said should be 2-4 mill) but they are closing a ton of stores that don't make any money and they never should have opened in the first place.

Same with Pound World possibly, why open more pound stores when others are already there selling the same stuff at the same price??
MrSprkle12 m ago

OK but you know what I meant, whatever is happening to them isnt really a …OK but you know what I meant, whatever is happening to them isnt really a surprise to me, their business model is terrible and not really consumer freindly.

Totally agree with you on their business model, some of my family have worked for Carpetright in years gone by (fitters, not staff) so I know a little bit about how they work. Like I say to anyone that wants to have an area carpeted, buy the carpet from CR if you must but get everything else from another independent source, you'll save big bucks.
Funny how a new Poundworld store is opening in my town! Really hate when companies close stores but still open new ones. What is the point?
Mechtup28 m ago

Funny how a new Poundworld store is opening in my town! Really hate when …Funny how a new Poundworld store is opening in my town! Really hate when companies close stores but still open new ones. What is the point?

I guess it depends on what's currently in your town. If you already have something like Poundland then it makes little sense as they'll mostly sell the same stuff. If your town has nothing like that yet (unlikely these days) then Poundworld might do quite well and make a profit (better than the stores it's closing).
Edited by: "rcom" 27th Apr
rcom3 h, 36 m ago

I guess it depends on what's currently in your town. If you already have …I guess it depends on what's currently in your town. If you already have something like Poundland then it makes little sense as they'll mostly sell the same stuff. If your town has nothing like that yet (unlikely these days) then Poundworld might do quite well and make a profit (better than the stores it's closing).

A Poundland is about three miles away. This Poundworld is three miles away from my town but still in fair enough radius that I’d count it. Where the Poundworld is going to be, there’s going to be an Aldi right next to it and there’s already an Asda 5 minutes away!
Mechtup46 m ago

A Poundland is about three miles away. This Poundworld is three miles away …A Poundland is about three miles away. This Poundworld is three miles away from my town but still in fair enough radius that I’d count it. Where the Poundworld is going to be, there’s going to be an Aldi right next to it and there’s already an Asda 5 minutes away!

There's nothing like over saturation...!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions