Powelines extender

Posted 30th May
Hi wanting a plug in power extender to assist with enhancing my internet connection to my computer.

Has anyone got any advice on pro
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Not really sure what you are asking? However, powerlines can be great when they work properly, and an absolute pain when they don't. Top tips... buy some that can cope with double what you want to put through them.
Make sure they are on the same circuit (most houses it's not an issue, but if your house is/ was flats , or has been partly rewired you may have an issue.
Watch out for interference. Fridges, freezers, central heating, Dect phones .. can all affect the continuous operation of powerline adapters. Causes adapters to restart.
Do you mean home plugs? I’ve had to get some as I’ve started to work from home, and my work system isn’t WiFi enabled and I wasn’t running a 20m cable through the house. I got the TP-Link ones. Think they were about £35 they’ve worked seamlessly so far.
Sorry to be a little pedantic, but there is little you can do to improve signal received into your property, One though, would be to ensure your modem/router is connected to your master socket (unless you use Virgin Media)

You can though, improve the speed of the signal received by your devices. Some things are more practical and convenient than others. And some are more expensive than others. If you have devices dotted around your property then trying to get an even signal to them all can be a bit tricky, but a MESH setup is best in this scenario, If you have only one desktop computer to worry about, moving it to be as near to the modem/router is best and then run it via an Ethernet cable. If you are happy to have a long Ethernet cable then this will always beat Wi-Fi. Some smartphones can be configured to act as an access point, allowing you to p;lace it roughly halfway between your computer and modem/router. And yes power line adaptors are a possibility if on the same power circuit. Ethernet cable goes from modem/router to power line adaptor A and plugged into mains, and Ethernet cable goes from computer to power line adaptor B and plugged into mains. Not quite, true Ethernet but the signal is being transmitted through the electicity cables which can be quite quick.
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 30th May
thorpe130/05/2020 18:03

Do you mean home plugs? I’ve had to get some as I’ve started to work from h …Do you mean home plugs? I’ve had to get some as I’ve started to work from home, and my work system isn’t WiFi enabled and I wasn’t running a 20m cable through the house. I got the TP-Link ones. Think they were about £35 they’ve worked seamlessly so far.

You might have been able to plug in a USB wifi dongle?
tardytortoise30/05/2020 18:45

You might have been able to plug in a USB wifi dongle?

I looked at those, not the strongest spot for WiFi where I am set up, also, it’s a lot of data being accessed through a server so needs to be quick, the amount of things connected to our WiFi is daft.
Home plugs work great in general and are straight forward just make sure to get a reputable brand and not the cheapest. Don’t plug them into extension use the sockets. Have you thought of a mesh system they are good a flood the whole house with WiFi..
Post a comment
@
    Text