Power bank?

Found 2nd Aug
Hi,

Wondering whether this is possible. I have a YI wifi camera and I would like to place it somewhere where there is no mains plug socket. It's currently powered by a plug (like an iPhone charger) and through USB.

Is there any device you can buy that either takes rechargeable batteries or is rechargeable that you can use to power the camera?
Community Updates
AskBank
8 Comments
If its powered by USB, then any powerbank should do. Depending on the space available you may be better (longer power time) using a 6/12v car battery and a clip on USB supply or inverter.
I’m not entirely sure if a power bank will be able to supply the necessary power as a wall plug will most likely be 1amp for a camera. I don’t know what the highest amp a power bank will give but it may not have enough juice.
How about a car jump start pack that also has a usb socket.

34572505-KD7wc.jpg
34572505-Q89oU.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 2nd Aug
super long extension lead?
Hmm those are pretty big, was thinking something the size of a wallet but I guess technology isn't there yet? Extension lead I have but don't want wires everywhere in house
Cannot confirm for Yi Cam but I regularly use a 15000mah power bank for Foscam and Moto WiFi cameras, both of which are 1 amp and easily go overnight. Haven't tried them much longer but will also depend on live streaming and remote movement of lens. If it's just for alerts it will last longer.
Lumsing powerbank I have is about the size of ciggie packet.
Vencurse9 h, 46 m ago

I’m not entirely sure if a power bank will be able to supply the necessary …I’m not entirely sure if a power bank will be able to supply the necessary power as a wall plug will most likely be 1amp for a camera. I don’t know what the highest amp a power bank will give but it may not have enough juice.

A good IMR 18650 cell (the form factor used in many powerbanks) can deliver 20 amperes continuous at a 3.7V nominal voltage. That's 50 watts plus.

Most powerbanks use more than one cell (one cell is 6-12Wh capacity, so a 60Wh power bank would use at least five).

So it's perfectly possible to have a powerbank that delivers the 100W the highest USB Power Delivery spec allows, and the 5W you're talking about (assuming your 1A is at 5V) is unlikely to beyond even the weakest of cells.

Of course you will need a power bank that supports the same power delivery signalling tech as the camera but that's no different to a wall USB power supply.
Ok thanks guys this is very helpful
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants