Power banks on European flights?

Found 14th Oct 2017
I'm reading conflicting info about taking power banks on to planes.

Are they allowed or not?.

I have a anker which is 16,000 mah or 59wh.

Some articles online say under 100wh is OK with no Physical size limit. Some are saying there is a physical size limit.

I have a anker which is larger than the physical size limit listed on a website I saw.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I have this one
amazon.co.uk/dp/…8AX
I've taken it on flights to France and Cyprus from two different UK airports this year without any problems, I don't think there's any rules on them to be honest.
Yes you can. Restrictions only apply when arriving from some middle eastern countries to th UK.
gov.uk/han…ems
I've flown from Belfast International with no issues inside UK and Europe. Only thing I was told was to present to security check along with any other electronic devices to allow them to scan away from your hand luggage. They also said to ensure it had charge in it as you might be asked to prove it is a charger (yet to be asked upon saying that).
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 14th Oct 2017
Yep, I've had no issues taking these on flights with the exception of flying back to the UK from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia. For these countries, there is a restriction on electronic items - note, only for the return leg inbound to the UK, no restriction outbound. The only battery/power major restriction on ALL flights that I've come across is no lithium batteries in hold luggage (but fine in hand luggage). This causes an issue with the new middle eastern inbound restrictions because they say no batteries in hand luggage...so you can't take lithium batteries in either for those return flights.
bluep50 m ago

Yep, I've had no issues taking these on flights with the exception of …Yep, I've had no issues taking these on flights with the exception of flying back to the UK from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia. For these countries, there is a restriction on electronic items - note, only for the return leg inbound to the UK, no restriction outbound. The only battery/power major restriction on ALL flights that I've come across is no lithium batteries in hold luggage (but fine in hand luggage). This causes an issue with the new middle eastern inbound restrictions because they say no batteries in hand luggage...so you can't take lithium batteries in either for those return flights.

So flying FROM UK to these restricted countries with a Powerbank is OK?

And entering the UK from these countries, keep Powerbank in your suitcase?
Gollywood1 h, 45 m ago

So flying FROM UK to these restricted countries with a Powerbank is OK?And …So flying FROM UK to these restricted countries with a Powerbank is OK?And entering the UK from these countries, keep Powerbank in your suitcase?

Regardless of it’s size, powerbanks are forbidden to carry in the hold luggage (a suitcase) on all flights.
Edited by: "varaha" 14th Oct 2017
Took a 20000mah Aukey to the canaries with Thomson in September for my switch no issues either leg.
Just to underline the above, the risk of a fire in the aircraft baggage hold from a power bank suffering from thermal runway is horrendous. I work for an airline and we have specific procedures to deal with a fire like this in the cabin and it is perfectly containable. A fire in the hold is a lottery due to it being inaccessible during the flight.

The restriction on taking personal devices on board from Turkey was lifted in August, but remains in place for other ME countries .Egypt; Kuwait; Jordan; Saudi Arabia and Tunisia.
Banned
indywooda13 m ago

Took a 20000mah Aukey to the canaries with Thomson in September for my …Took a 20000mah Aukey to the canaries with Thomson in September for my switch no issues either leg.

I brought back 1600 cigarettes from Gibraltar in my suitcase once.

It doesnt change the fact that 200 is the legal limit.
Kmore54 m ago

I brought back 1600 cigarettes from Gibraltar in my suitcase once.It …I brought back 1600 cigarettes from Gibraltar in my suitcase once.It doesnt change the fact that 200 is the legal limit.

Ah but you didn’t present your for scanning at security I bet (twice) ;-)
Gollywood19 h, 49 m ago

So flying FROM UK to these restricted countries with a Powerbank is OK?And …So flying FROM UK to these restricted countries with a Powerbank is OK?And entering the UK from these countries, keep Powerbank in your suitcase?

Gollywood19 h, 49 m ago

Flying from the UK to these countries (Egypt etc..) with a powerbank in your hand luggage is fine (they are lithium so NOT allowed in hold luggage) but you can't bring them back because they are restricted from being in hand luggage and you can't put them in hold luggage. All other destinations, you can keep them in hand luggage both legs so fine.

As I was trying to explain, it's a combination of two rules that causes problems coming back from Egypt
Rule 1) no large electronic items in hand luggage so put this sort of thing in hold (due to security/terrorism risk)
Rule 2) no lithium batteries in hold luggage (normal rule due to fire hazard)

I have flown back from Egypt with powerpacks - I bought a v thin one that is smaller than the iphone plus dimensions so it fits through the slot that they use at the airport to test at security...HOWEVER...it's been a lottery as I've had to point out UK go rules that any electronic item smaller than that can be taken in hand luggage. They pushed hard to say no powerpacks of any size which is how a lot of airlines and Egyptian airport security are applying the rules. Everyone else's (including spare go pro batteries etc..) got chucked away. One battery inside your camera / phone / electronic item was fine in hold (again that is the normal rules).
indywooda14 h, 45 m ago

Took a 20000mah Aukey to the canaries with Thomson in September for my …Took a 20000mah Aukey to the canaries with Thomson in September for my switch no issues either leg.

If it was in your hand luggage then that's allowed. If you put it in your hold luggage then just means that they didn't pick it up and you put the plane at risk of a fire.
Original Poster
Thanks all.

I can confirm that if flying within the EU that powerbanks are fine. I took mine out of my hand luggage and placed it in the container when going through the security check. All was fine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions