Groups

Power consumption of wireless router

We have noticed that since we got a land line and broadband our power bills went up by ~£35.

ukpower.co.uk/too…ty/

Using this calculator I worked out that it costs us £19 a month to power our wireless router costs.

It reads 230V ~50Hz 0.5A, works 720hours a month (always on), the electricity costs us 23p pkw ( ~6p at nights but I dont include that in this calculations)

Same with phone wichs runs at 0.45A

Both plugged in all the time would work about £30 a mot (thats including lower night rate)

Are my calculations right?
    Do you experince the same 'problem' ?

19 Comments

Why don't you turn it off over night at least, as that will save you what 7+ hours a day of electricity from it

really cant see how a router can cost £30 a month just to run. our leccy bill an month is around £40 and ive got mine on all the time aswell as having the dishwasher, washer, dryer all at least twice a week....

some leccy guru may be able to clarify tho....

Original Poster

I just relalised that the router and the phone are consuming that much power.

If I were to turn the router off during the night, that would save me 5-6 pounds a month. :thumbsup:
    Same with phone :thumbsup:

But It is still a lot :oops:
    We used to spend about £40 a month.
    Now it costed us £68 for December and £72 for January :oops:

Original Poster

lanc_red;7917930

really cant see how a router can cost £30 a month just to run. our leccy … really cant see how a router can cost £30 a month just to run. our leccy bill an month is around £40 and ive got mine on all the time aswell as having the dishwasher, washer, dryer all at least twice a week....some leccy guru may be able to clarify tho....

My calculation shown that including the night rate the router cost £17.5 to run. (30 is the router and phone together)

Our dishwasher runs daily on low programe (30*), Washing mashine 3 times a week and we have 2 big TV's and other stuff. And it used to cost us £40 a month to run it all. Now it is around £70.

Can you check the values on your routers power supply?

God i hope this is wrong!! my ruter will be going in the bin and back to that long cable again

Does it not have a transformer that steps the voltage down to something like 9-12 volts?

Banned

I lol hard at someone thinking their router / phone costs £35 a month to run

more like 35p!

Banned

btw, my router is 15w so about 30p per month assuming 24/7 hr usage

it aint a microwave lol

router will probably cost about 1-2p a day to run. think you need to recalculate.

csiman;7918406

I lol hard at someone thinking their router / phone costs £35 a month to … I lol hard at someone thinking their router / phone costs £35 a month to runmore like 35p!

This is about right. A router is a low power consumption unit. I have an electricity monitor and it hardly shows that the router is there. So I think the calculations are wrong at £35.00

[FONT=arial]Assuming you do not turn your router off, this would equate … [FONT=arial]Assuming you do not turn your router off, this would equate to 0.24kWh / day and 87.6kWh annually, costing approximately £10 per year to run .

energy.gs/200…tml[/FONT]

Original Poster

thesaint;7918377

Does it not have a transformer that steps the voltage down to something … Does it not have a transformer that steps the voltage down to something like 9-12 volts?

csiman;7918406

I lol hard at someone thinking their router / phone costs £35 a month to … I lol hard at someone thinking their router / phone costs £35 a month to runmore like 35p!

tdogg;7918436

router will probably cost about 1-2p a day to run. think you need to … router will probably cost about 1-2p a day to run. think you need to recalculate.

I own D-Link DSL 2640R/TT router (free with 8mb talk talk broadband plan)

The router itself runs at 12V 1.2 A
    The step down transformer reads 230V 50Hz 0.5A thus 115W (W=V/A) can also be worked out with this calculator crownaudio.com/app…htm )

24h X month (30) = 720h (total including night rate)
    night rate 7h X month (30)= 210h (night rate only)

720- 210= 510 (total for standard rate only)

510h at standard rate
    210h at night rate

price per kWH at standard rate = £0.23
    price per kWH at night rate = £0.06

510 X 0.115kW = 58.65kWh
    58.65 X 0.23= £13.49

210 X115kW = 24.15kWh
    24.15 X 0.06 = £1.45

TOTAL for 30 days for router only= £14.94

This can aslo be worked out with this calculator ukpower.co.uk/too…ty/

Banned

your router is 14.4watts, I would be worried about my health if a router was using 115 watts

I stopped using wireless land line phones, stick to wired as it's free to use then.

Think you better look at this as a guideline: frequencycast.co.uk/how…tml

No way does it cost £180 a year to power a router!

"The step down transformer reads 230V 50Hz 0.5A"

This is the maximum not the rate at which the transformer runs,

Juice;7918742

The router itself runs at 12V 1.2 AThe step down transformer reads 230V … The router itself runs at 12V 1.2 AThe step down transformer reads 230V 50Hz 0.5A thus 115W (W=V/A) can also be worked out with this calculator http://www.crownaudio.com/apps_htm/designtools/ohms-law.htm )

I have no idea if i'm correct, but you have it as 115W by dividing 230(V) by 0.5(Amps) surely it's 12(V) by 1.2(Amps) = 10W?

Me =Confused

Banned

thesaint;7919033

I have no idea if i'm correct, but you have it as 115W by dividing 230(V) … I have no idea if i'm correct, but you have it as 115W by dividing 230(V) by 0.5(Amps) surely it's 12(V) by 1.2(Amps) = 10W?Me =Confused

OP =Confused!

115w....you would be cooking food on it!

remember your plug is a transformer so you are not using 240v electricity but 12v, so recalculate and see what you get!

My Netgear plug says 240v/50hz/100miliamp so that's 24 watts/day, 8760/year or 730/month.

Electricity is about 10p/kw so it works out at 2 to 3 pence a day.

Someone needs to go back to school if they honestly believe that a router costs more than a few pence a month to run.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do I do if item is damaged I bought on eBay.811
      2. U8, U80, U80 Plus Smartwatches?66
      3. Customs charged too much for a little item!33
      4. Battery drain on iOS 111320

See more discussions