Power consumption of wireless router

Found 22nd Feb 2010
We have noticed that since we got a land line and broadband our power bills went up by ~£35.

ukpower.co.uk/too…ty/

Using this calculator I worked out that it costs us £19 a month to power our wireless router costs.

It reads 230V ~50Hz 0.5A, works 720hours a month (always on), the electricity costs us 23p pkw ( ~6p at nights but I dont include that in this calculations)

Same with phone wichs runs at 0.45A

Both plugged in all the time would work about £30 a mot (thats including lower night rate)

Are my calculations right?
Do you experince the same 'problem' ?
Community Updates
MiscRouter
21 Comments
Why don't you turn it off over night at least, as that will save you what 7+ hours a day of electricity from it
really cant see how a router can cost £30 a month just to run. our leccy bill an month is around £40 and ive got mine on all the time aswell as having the dishwasher, washer, dryer all at least twice a week....

some leccy guru may be able to clarify tho....
I just relalised that the router and the phone are consuming that much power.

If I were to turn the router off during the night, that would save me 5-6 pounds a month. :thumbsup:
Same with phone :thumbsup:

But It is still a lot :oops:
We used to spend about £40 a month.
Now it costed us £68 for December and £72 for January :oops:
lanc_red;7917930

really cant see how a router can cost £30 a month just to run. our leccy … really cant see how a router can cost £30 a month just to run. our leccy bill an month is around £40 and ive got mine on all the time aswell as having the dishwasher, washer, dryer all at least twice a week....some leccy guru may be able to clarify tho....

My calculation shown that including the night rate the router cost £17.5 to run. (30 is the router and phone together)

Our dishwasher runs daily on low programe (30*), Washing mashine 3 times a week and we have 2 big TV's and other stuff. And it used to cost us £40 a month to run it all. Now it is around £70.

Can you check the values on your routers power supply?
God i hope this is wrong!! my ruter will be going in the bin and back to that long cable again
Does it not have a transformer that steps the voltage down to something like 9-12 volts?
I lol hard at someone thinking their router / phone costs £35 a month to run

more like 35p!
btw, my router is 15w so about 30p per month assuming 24/7 hr usage

it aint a microwave lol
router will probably cost about 1-2p a day to run. think you need to recalculate.
csiman;7918406

I lol hard at someone thinking their router / phone costs £35 a month to … I lol hard at someone thinking their router / phone costs £35 a month to runmore like 35p!

This is about right. A router is a low power consumption unit. I have an electricity monitor and it hardly shows that the router is there. So I think the calculations are wrong at £35.00

[FONT=arial]Assuming you do not turn your router off, this would equate … [FONT=arial]Assuming you do not turn your router off, this would equate to 0.24kWh / day and 87.6kWh annually, costing approximately £10 per year to run .

energy.gs/200…tml[/FONT]
thesaint;7918377

Does it not have a transformer that steps the voltage down to something … Does it not have a transformer that steps the voltage down to something like 9-12 volts?

csiman;7918406

I lol hard at someone thinking their router / phone costs £35 a month to … I lol hard at someone thinking their router / phone costs £35 a month to runmore like 35p!

tdogg;7918436

router will probably cost about 1-2p a day to run. think you need to … router will probably cost about 1-2p a day to run. think you need to recalculate.

I own D-Link DSL 2640R/TT router (free with 8mb talk talk broadband plan)

The router itself runs at 12V 1.2 A
The step down transformer reads 230V 50Hz 0.5A thus 115W (W=V/A) can also be worked out with this calculator crownaudio.com/app…htm )

24h X month (30) = 720h (total including night rate)
night rate 7h X month (30)= 210h (night rate only)

720- 210= 510 (total for standard rate only)

510h at standard rate
210h at night rate

price per kWH at standard rate = £0.23
price per kWH at night rate = £0.06

510 X 0.115kW = 58.65kWh
58.65 X 0.23= £13.49

210 X115kW = 24.15kWh
24.15 X 0.06 = £1.45

TOTAL for 30 days for router only= £14.94

This can aslo be worked out with this calculator ukpower.co.uk/too…ty/
your router is 14.4watts, I would be worried about my health if a router was using 115 watts

I stopped using wireless land line phones, stick to wired as it's free to use then.
Think you better look at this as a guideline: frequencycast.co.uk/how…tml

No way does it cost £180 a year to power a router!
"The step down transformer reads 230V 50Hz 0.5A"

This is the maximum not the rate at which the transformer runs,
Juice;7918742

The router itself runs at 12V 1.2 AThe step down transformer reads 230V … The router itself runs at 12V 1.2 AThe step down transformer reads 230V 50Hz 0.5A thus 115W (W=V/A) can also be worked out with this calculator http://www.crownaudio.com/apps_htm/designtools/ohms-law.htm )

I have no idea if i'm correct, but you have it as 115W by dividing 230(V) by 0.5(Amps) surely it's 12(V) by 1.2(Amps) = 10W?

Me =Confused
thesaint;7919033

I have no idea if i'm correct, but you have it as 115W by dividing 230(V) … I have no idea if i'm correct, but you have it as 115W by dividing 230(V) by 0.5(Amps) surely it's 12(V) by 1.2(Amps) = 10W?Me =Confused

OP =Confused!
115w....you would be cooking food on it!

remember your plug is a transformer so you are not using 240v electricity but 12v, so recalculate and see what you get!
My Netgear plug says 240v/50hz/100miliamp so that's 24 watts/day, 8760/year or 730/month.

Electricity is about 10p/kw so it works out at 2 to 3 pence a day.
Someone needs to go back to school if they honestly believe that a router costs more than a few pence a month to run.
Christian_knox15 m ago

https://www.frequencycast.co.uk/howmanywatts.htmltake a look. Should clear …https://www.frequencycast.co.uk/howmanywatts.htmltake a look. Should clear things u

Hi @Christian_knox
Thanks for posting but this thread is 8 years old now so I would hope the OP has this sorted by now
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants