Groups

power supply help

Im going to be building a custom Pc, my first ever, and i have no clue on power supplies but i heard these are good: The EVGA supernova G", The g3 and the corsair RMX series. Are any of these worth it. Thanks

10 Comments

Depends what your going to use the pc for, office or gaming?

Original Poster

thanks for replying im going to be building a gaming pc when the new ryzen cpus come out

Another thing to bear in mind is if you don't mind having excess cables, go for one of the cheaper ones without modular cables. If it's going to be on display I highly recommend a modular PSU as you can unplug the spare cables but will cost a few quid more

Muzzard

thanks for replying im going to be building a gaming pc when the new … thanks for replying im going to be building a gaming pc when the new ryzen cpus come out

​Ok if it's a gaming pc then read this tomshardware.com/rev…tml

Muzzard

Are any of these worth it.

Generally high end models like that are for bragging rights and make little sense economically. Much like £100+ motherboards, closed loop watercoolers and so on.

You definitely want a unit that's been professionally reviewed and been shown it can deliver what it claims within standard in real world conditions but you can pick them up for £40, spending double that has very limited benefits - a slightly lower chance of failure, maybe a slightly quieter fan after a few years use.
    Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 18th Feb

Best advice:

Find a PSU around your budget.
    Head on over to jonnyguru
    Read review

Normally with a high-end PSU you're paying for the actual quality of the power supplied e.g. amount of voltage going through rails, noise/ripples, peak power draw, efficiency, etc.

Like the others have said, for a gaming rig I wouldn't get too hung up on it. I would be okay with practically any 80+ 600W PSU for around £40.

Most PSUs are of a decent standard now, it's very rare you hear about zapped PC components because of PSU, likely due to better quality assurance from organisations like the eu. The danger with poor PSUs tend to be that they don't supply the full amount they're supposed to rather than it over loading.

For most enthusiast PCs, a gold one is sufficient. The g2 has exceptional reviews on websites like jonnyguru so if you can afford it, I'd say go for it. It also has a ridiculous 7 yr warranty which is pretty good.

For most desktop office, a bronze or even just plain white 8+ should be sufficient.

For evga The g2 > GQ = GS

However many other manufacturers have excellent reputations:

Seasonic
    Superflower (these first two are what the g2 and GS uses anyway, evga don't actually manufacture their own)

Antec, enermax, corsair etc

For each brand, be aware they have flagship top quality PSUs eg the corsair axi series and then their basic eg corsair cx series. So the variation is high even within the brand.

The key is to make sure the psu is reviewed by someone like Jonny guru. Depending on your price range you may want a solid bronze which you know is steady and won't over voltage, or a gold/platinum for a bit more but you know will be reliable for up to 10 years with no downgrade of power.

EndlessWaves

Generally high end models like that are for bragging rights and make … Generally high end models like that are for bragging rights and make little sense economically. Much like £100+ motherboards, closed loop watercoolers and so on. You definitely want a unit that's been professionally reviewed and been shown it can deliver what it claims within standard in real world conditions but you can pick them up for £40, spending double that has very limited benefits - a slightly lower chance of failure, maybe a slightly quieter fan after a few years use.

​Why have you quoted me with a comment I never made? Look again it wasn't me lol

Muzzard

​Why have you quoted me with a comment I never made? Look again it w … ​Why have you quoted me with a comment I never made? Look again it wasn't me lol

I just hit the quote button, I'm not sure how that happened.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheap 'smart phone' for child wanted.23
      2. Pet lifetime insurance advice needed22
      3. Ditched Sky33
      4. iPhone 7 32GB Black Unopened56

See more discussions