Power Switch issues - AMP

Posted 30th Dec 2019
Hello,
Could someone assist?

I bought new switches with Wi-Fi for my house.

I installed them upstairs and they work perfectly. I try to install downstairs but they don't work (the same ones).

Can you please advise? I believe it is something to do with the ampers in the electric box but i am not sure.

Please let me know if you can help.

Thank you in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Do you get good a wifi signal in the downstairs rooms?
At a guess I would say your router is connected to your upstairs ring main. But that is only a guess.
Give us better info - maybe say whaty the things are.

Are you talking wifi extenders? Powerline adapters? smart switches?
Hello and thanks for the response.
They are smart switches (no earth wire applied)
Edited by: "Lazaros_Lit" 30th Dec 2019
Do they work from an app on your phone? The phone , and all the switches need to be set up on the same wifi network. Each switch needs to have a different name (ID) too.
Edited by: "yorkie12" 30th Dec 2019
Lazaros_Lit30/12/2019 15:25

Hello and thanks for the response.They are smart switches (no earth wire …Hello and thanks for the response.They are smart switches (no earth wire applied)

idisrupted.com/how…rk/
tardytortoise30/12/2019 14:29

At a guess I would say your router is connected to your upstairs ring …At a guess I would say your router is connected to your upstairs ring main. But that is only a guess.

These smart switches can work without wifi too. They operate as normal ones but in this occasion they don't work at all.
Hello Yorkie12,

Thank you for your time. They fully operate upstairs but they do not work at all when i install them downstairs. I think the ampers are different but I am not sure what to do.
captainbeaky30/12/2019 13:56

Do you get good a wifi signal in the downstairs rooms?

Hello captainbeaky,

I am afraid the wifi signal is the same. They do not work at all. Neither as normal swithes.
Edited by: "Lazaros_Lit" 30th Dec 2019
Lazaros_Lit30/12/2019 15:40

Hello Yorkie12,Thank you for your time. They fully operate upstairs but …Hello Yorkie12,Thank you for your time. They fully operate upstairs but they do not work at all when i install them downstairs. I think the ampers are different but I am not sure what to do.

The ampheres will be the same upstairs and downstairs. (More accurately they will be limited by the fuse/breaker box to trip over. Which will be way over what these switches need. )
When you wire them in downstairs how many cables are you connecting? Upstairs I assume 3 whilst downstairs probably 2.
I’ll even guess you have a bathroom with extractor fan upstairs but no extractor downstairs.
My guess will be you have a 4 wire lighting setup upstairs that has a permanent live. To accommodate extractor fan timers etc. Whilst down stairs doesn’t or if it does the permanent I’ve isn’t connected.
Oneday7730/12/2019 16:59

The ampheres will be the same upstairs and downstairs. (More accurately …The ampheres will be the same upstairs and downstairs. (More accurately they will be limited by the fuse/breaker box to trip over. Which will be way over what these switches need. )When you wire them in downstairs how many cables are you connecting? Upstairs I assume 3 whilst downstairs probably 2. I’ll even guess you have a bathroom with extractor fan upstairs but no extractor downstairs. My guess will be you have a 4 wire lighting setup upstairs that has a permanent live. To accommodate extractor fan timers etc. Whilst down stairs doesn’t or if it does the permanent I’ve isn’t connected.

Hello,
Thank you for the response.
Both upstairs and downstairs the cables are two, a red and a brown. There is not earth wire. I am not sure why this is happening and they do not work
No earth wire?

Hang on - is this replacing a pre-existing light switch? If so then it isnt going to work. Look up lighting ring wiring. The two wires you are looking at are just a loop for a switch it isnt a supply that you can connect into.

Edited by: "mas99" 30th Dec 2019
mas9930/12/2019 18:18

No earth wire? Hang on - is this replacing a pre-existing light switch? …No earth wire? Hang on - is this replacing a pre-existing light switch? If so then it isnt going to work. Look up lighting ring wiring. The two wires you are looking at are just a loop for a switch it isnt a supply that you can connect into.[Video]

Hello mas99,
Thank you for the message.
There is not earth wire and it is working. I bought it on Ebay. Please see the attached pictures.
39542132-lps0Y.jpg39542132-sFwOe.jpg39542132-9qDzH.jpg
Any ideas please ?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants