Groups

Powerline Adapter

So I've finally moved my computer which I was basically using for media in my living room to a room upstairs after getting a graphics card (1060) about a year after I first built it. So I'm now ready for gaming. I've two questions really.

1. My speed has dropped from 104Mb wirelessly when next to the router to between 1-2Mb. So I'm guessing I need a Powerline adapter. Am I best with a wireless one or should I go for one which I can connect an ethernet cable? In the case of either what speed adapter would I need to get the best of my 100Mb broadband?

2. I have a 120gb SSD and a 750gb HDD, considering 120gb isn't much for games, with me just buying LOTR for £4.99 and it being 40 odd gb, will it have much of an impact on my gaming experience if I install the game onto the HDD?

Appreciate the help.

13 Comments

If you have other wifi based devices you'd like to use in the same area then opt for a wireless kit, if not opt for the standard kit which is cheaper.

argos.co.uk/pro…734 - looks like a decent price.

If you struggle with a lack of power sockets, then go for a passthrough kit.

argos.co.uk/pro…112

Hope it helps.

I would usually install games on the HDD as it has a lot more space.

Edited by: "vultura" 8th Jan

Hard wired beats wifi every time.
    And, if you can - I went down the route of running a flat Ethernet cable under the carpet from the router to the pc. Home plugs are good for smart TVs etc that don't need lots of speed, but they are 'ok' for speed dependant items such as PCs. The majority of homeplugs have 100Mbps ports on them unless you go for the more expensive ones.

An Ethernet cable will always give you the highest speed available.
    Edited by: "118luke" 8th Jan

What router do you have? What wireless adaptor is your PC using?

Original Poster

I have a Virgin Media router, Super Hub 3.0?

I've a PCI Asus wireless adapter. It picks up the 5mhz signal from the router and close to the router I get the same speed as ethernet.

I don't need pass through as I only need sockets for the PC and the monitor. Also I have no other wireless devices which need wireless. So yes, I'll go with ethernet. Running a cable from the living room to the room upstairs is out of the question.

I may have read or perhaps imagined it in the past that if I get 100mb powerline adapter then I won't get 100mb speed. Is this correct?

Original Poster

vultura

If you have other wifi based devices you'd like to use in the same area … If you have other wifi based devices you'd like to use in the same area then opt for a wireless kit, if not opt for the standard kit which is cheaper.http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5742734 - looks like a decent price.If you struggle with a lack of power sockets, then go for a passthrough kit.http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5807112Hope it helps.I would usually install games on the HDD as it has a lot more space.

​£25 would be excellent, I'd be happy with that. However what speed would I get?

tommy6000009

​£25 would be excellent, I'd be happy with that. However what speed wo … ​£25 would be excellent, I'd be happy with that. However what speed would I get?

​Unless a powerline adapter quotes gigabit it's normally a 100mbit ethernet port. Depending on mains wiring about 30 to 60mbit.9

Original Poster

kester76

​Unless a powerline adapter quotes gigabit it's normally a 100mbit e … ​Unless a powerline adapter quotes gigabit it's normally a 100mbit ethernet port. Depending on mains wiring about 30 to 60mbit.9

​Thanks so I'm looking for gigabit?

tommy6000009

You could indeed, sorry I figured you were looking for the most effective option.

For Powerlines with Gigabit ports try something like - amazon.co.uk/dp/…53W

Edited by: "vultura" 8th Jan

tommy6000009

Sorry mate for some reason hotukdeals doesn't always tell me about a reply. This is what I would recommend, it's one of the newer MIMO AV2 powerline adapters with passthrough socket. It's not the best of the 1200s but it's a good price and you will get a lot better connection than the older AV600 SISO powerline adapters.

smallnetbuilder.com/bas…015
    amazon.co.uk/gp/…-21 £50ish from Amazon
    youtube.com/wat…5aI

Review of the American version of this unit. It's based on the Qualcomm QCA7500 chipset so it's a pretty good device.
    smallnetbuilder.com/lan…wed

Read throught the small netbuilder faq before buying a powerline adapter as it gives you a good idea about how they work and what unit to buy.

Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone. I now know where I'm at and if my two year old allows me I'll be gaming by the weekend.

I need a PowerPoint adapter, an Xbox One controller and a better Monitor. I can put my current monitor in my son's room as it has a USB port and will do well. Also I need a new desk and chair.

This is costing more than I thought

Gigabit posted up today by a HUKD member - hotukdeals.com/dea…518 - for less than £33.

Original Poster

vultura

Gigabit posted up today by a HUKD member - … Gigabit posted up today by a HUKD member - http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/zyxel-pla5256-2-port-gigabit-powerline-kit-with-pass-through-1000mb-s-homeplug-av2-2598518 - for less than £33.

​Looks good. I think I'll go for that. Cheers.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheapest way to call landline, UK to Ireland78
      2. Any now tv entertainment offers going on???11
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?914
      4. Mayweather vs Mcgregor66

See more discussions