Powerline Adapter on a Network Switch?

Found 24th Jun 2015
Hi,

Looking to decrease the amount of wiring around, as it is getting messy
Would I be able to use a 8 port ethernet switch to sort out my issue?

I understand the switch would work out the box... but if I use a "powerline adapter" to connect the "8 port network switch", will my devices work?

Also is it better to get a 500mbps or will a 200mbps work

*Devices*
Signal Booster (via ethernet)
Camera (via ethernet)
TV (via ethernet)
PS3 (via ethernet)
Laptop (via ethernet)

*Current situation*
Router = Upstairs
Ethernet Devices = Downstairs
Community Updates
AskPowerlineRouter
8 Comments
hi
If you connect your router to a powerline adapter and plug it in, you can then connect your switch to the second powerline adapter and connect your devices to it anywhere within your home (that's the theory of it)
If you've already got the powerline adapters give it a try, if not either borrow someone's or get them from a place like Argos where you could try them and if they work, take them back and get some from somewhere else (ideally the cheapest place)

As for the line speed, if the devices being connected or the switch that your using isn't gigabit Ethernet capable anything over 100mbit wouldn't be able to use the extra bandwidth, but they would allow more devices to be simultaneously connected without any performance impact.

Also if using gigabit I'd recommend cat6e cable, costs a bit more, but is far more likely to allow smoother data transfer by keeping frame/packet drops/errors to a minimum, unlike done cheap cat5e cables
Thanks, I used to have a powerline adapter, however I got rid of it as I wasnt sure if it met the needs at that point

Im just worried about the switch...as I would need port forwarding enabled to see the cameras
I remember last time I tried to stream a dreambox (just in the LAN) and it didnt work.. any ideas
use wifi bridge 281317733195 ebay
I use them for my cctv dvr and no worries at all
as long as you configure the port forwarding correctly on your router you shouldn't have any issue unless your electrical sockets are on different rings, then you may suffer from a degraded speed, as you'll end up routing your signal through the consumer unit, which would be a drastic impact on throughput. hence why I recommended purchasing one from Argos or somewhere where you would be able to return them, in case it didn't work correctly or at all. and if it did you would be able to shop around for a better model for your money.

As for routing all those items and given what I know about using cctv on a Wi-Fi network. purchasing a Wi-Fi bridge, you would end up running multiple Wi-Fi networks just to cope with the throughput, especially if they're ip cameras.
Works for me..Powerline - Powerline - 8 Port switch - PC,PS4,TV, etc.....Actually get good speeds, no messing around just plug and play

Comment

dannyboydw

use wifi bridge 281317733195 ebay I use them for my cctv dvr and no … use wifi bridge 281317733195 ebay I use them for my cctv dvr and no worries at all

I used that exact same bridge (as a wifi repeater) - it was horrible
Kept cutting out every 1-2 weeks and forgetting the wireless password
lroyb

as long as you configure the port forwarding correctly on your router you … as long as you configure the port forwarding correctly on your router you shouldn't have any issue unless your electrical sockets are on different rings, then you may suffer from a degraded speed, as you'll end up routing your signal through the consumer unit, which would be a drastic impact on throughput. hence why I recommended purchasing one from Argos or somewhere where you would be able to return them, in case it didn't work correctly or at all. and if it did you would be able to shop around for a better model for your money.As for routing all those items and given what I know about using cctv on a Wi-Fi network. purchasing a Wi-Fi bridge, you would end up running multiple Wi-Fi networks just to cope with the throughput, especially if they're ip cameras.

Hmm will give the argos one a try

billybob007

Works for me..Powerline - Powerline - 8 Port switch - PC,PS4,TV, … Works for me..Powerline - Powerline - 8 Port switch - PC,PS4,TV, etc.....Actually get good speeds, no messing around just plug and play

Currently have a belkin switch so far its working havent connected it to the cams yet
billybob007

Works for me..Powerline - Powerline - 8 Port switch - PC,PS4,TV, … Works for me..Powerline - Powerline - 8 Port switch - PC,PS4,TV, etc.....Actually get good speeds, no messing around just plug and play

Agreed ^^^^^^ this is my setup and works for me to.

BTW FYI, I have these adapters, pass through so I can use the plug for other things. the unit I have has 3 NW connections on one plug, I have two obviously, though you could go with x1 at source/router end and x3 at target end.

thats prety good.. as i thought they only come in pairs (like 1 client + 1 server plug)

rap451

Agreed ^^^^^^ this is my setup and works for me to.BTW FYI, I have these … Agreed ^^^^^^ this is my setup and works for me to.BTW FYI, I have these adapters, pass through so I can use the plug for other things. the unit I have has 3 NW connections on one plug, I have two obviously, though you could go with x1 at source/router end and x3 at target end.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions