Powerline Adaptor Kit Add On?

Posted 31st May
Hi all,

I've got a Tenda PH3 1000Mbps Powerline Adapter Kit. One of the plugs connects to my router and the other to a CCTV NVR in a room.

I've got a PC in another room which i'd like to hook up via ethernet over powerline.

Is there an add on unit i can buy or will i need to buy another pair/kit?

Many thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
The free solution: what do you already have available with multiple Ethernet ports ? (like an ADLS modem for example)
Just get another powerline adapter - you can have several on the same circuit.
TobyZ31/05/2020 16:52

The free solution: what do you already have available with multiple …The free solution: what do you already have available with multiple Ethernet ports ? (like an ADLS modem for example)

Have some old routers, can that be used?
Ringfinger31/05/2020 17:02

Just get another powerline adapter - you can have several on the same …Just get another powerline adapter - you can have several on the same circuit.

They all seem to come in pairs. Just wondered if i could buy 1 by itself for cheaper.
Sam22331/05/2020 17:49

Have some old routers, can that be used?

Yes, they can be used. The simplest method, keeping the same subnet (works for both ADSL modems and routers). Get into your old router/modem, disable DHCP. Connect the powerline into some LAN port, connect your accessories in the remaining LAN ports. Now your LAN ports of the router/modem work as a switch.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 31st May
TobyZ31/05/2020 19:38

Yes, they can be used. The simplest method, keeping the same subnet (works …Yes, they can be used. The simplest method, keeping the same subnet (works for both ADSL modems and routers). Get into your old router/modem, disable DHCP. Connect the powerline into some LAN port, connect your accessories in the remaining LAN ports. Now your LAN ports of the router/modem work as a switch.

The PC i want to connect is in a different room to where the powerline adaptor is that connects my NVR. Using a router as a switch would be useful if they were in the same place.

There is a slave phone socket so could i connect an old router to that and somehow make it work?
Sam22331/05/2020 20:17

The PC i want to connect is in a different room to where the powerline …The PC i want to connect is in a different room to where the powerline adaptor is that connects my NVR. Using a router as a switch would be useful if they were in the same place.There is a slave phone socket so could i connect an old router to that and somehow make it work?

I don't think you could make it work reusing the existent ADSL connection. An option is to install an Ethernet cable or to enable the Wifi on the router and use some Wifi adapter on your PC. Again, maybe you don't have to buy anything; on some routers you can change the firmware and use them as wireless extenders.
Sam22331/05/2020 20:17

The PC i want to connect is in a different room to where the powerline …The PC i want to connect is in a different room to where the powerline adaptor is that connects my NVR. Using a router as a switch would be useful if they were in the same place.There is a slave phone socket so could i connect an old router to that and somehow make it work?

no you can't attach two routers to same phone line. easiest method would be buy another homeplug, some places sell singles but if you buy a twin pack you will have a spare they are not indestructible.
Whilst the av1000 standard is supported by lots of manufacturers i like to stick with same make in case of firmware irregularities.
Post a comment
@
    Text