Powerline adaptors

Posted 11th Jun
I bought my son the Tenda AV1000 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Adapter Kit for my sons gaming pc. When he is downloading games he is only getting 50kbps! I've tried resetting them and still the same. any ideas why they are so slow?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
that could be due to the electric circuit in your house, and how the plugs the adaptors are connected to flow through the fusebox (single, or multiple?)

test with different sockets in the house to see if problem is resolved.

also, does he use an extension cable? as that will add to the noise

and you mention 'downloading' - have you tried to do a speedtest ? try fast.com or speedtest.net
Is he trying to update call of duty modernwarfare by any chance? As im doing it with direct ethernet and only getting 90kb/s
Is it definitely 50Kbps and not 50Mbps? The latter would be a little low, but not unreasonable. You'd expect 2-3 times that from AV1000 powerline adapters on average, but poor conditions can drop it and it may be limited by your internet connection or the update servers.
Haz_1911/06/2020 15:39

Is he trying to update call of duty modernwarfare by any chance? As im …Is he trying to update call of duty modernwarfare by any chance? As im doing it with direct ethernet and only getting 90kb/s

Yes he is we just seen theres an issue with the servers! Its ridiculous the speed
EndlessWaves11/06/2020 15:52

Is it definitely 50Kbps and not 50Mbps? The latter would be a little low, …Is it definitely 50Kbps and not 50Mbps? The latter would be a little low, but not unreasonable. You'd expect 2-3 times that from AV1000 powerline adapters on average, but poor conditions can drop it and it may be limited by your internet connection or the update servers.

It's the blizzard servers apparently
Bertz9911/06/2020 15:46

Comment deleted

What do you mean? Yes we have an extension that has a surge protector built in what should we do?
Ok thanks
shazzamac11/06/2020 15:59

Yes he is we just seen theres an issue with the servers! Its ridiculous …Yes he is we just seen theres an issue with the servers! Its ridiculous the speed

Theres sort of a fix. Tell him to pause download in blizzard and then change sever to asia. Then go to install settings and change max dowoad rate to 300kbps, theb press continue download. Then wait 20 seconds and change speed back to 0 and slowly it should increase.
I am using the same adapters and getting 120 on my 150Mbps line.
Haz_1911/06/2020 16:17

Theres sort of a fix. Tell him to pause download in blizzard and then …Theres sort of a fix. Tell him to pause download in blizzard and then change sever to asia. Then go to install settings and change max dowoad rate to 300kbps, theb press continue download. Then wait 20 seconds and change speed back to 0 and slowly it should increase.

Great thanks, its speeded it up a little
shazzamac11/06/2020 16:25

Great thanks, its speeded it up a little

No problem, mine has got to 3.5mpbs when it should be over 20. But unfortunatley this happens every update and this is the best solution.
Also might be worth looking into having his PS4 set so it automatically downloads updates for his games. Mine downloaded the patch this morning and only took 2 hours on a 25Meg connection
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/games/installing--downloading---updating/how-to-set-up-auto-update-download-on-your-playstation-4/#:~:text=Go%20to%20%5BSettings%5D%20%3E%20%5BSystem%5D%20%3E%20%5BAutomatic,to%20%5BApplication%20Update%20Files%5D.&text=Press%20and%20hold%20the%20PS,4%20system%20will%20turn%20orange. Sorry I just assumed he's on playstation.
Edited by: "Denney_Masters" 11th Jun
Denney_Masters11/06/2020 17:47

Also might be worth looking into having his PS4 set so it automatically …Also might be worth looking into having his PS4 set so it automatically downloads updates for his games. Mine downloaded the patch this morning and only took 2 hours on a 25Meg connection https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/games/installing--downloading---updating/how-to-set-up-auto-update-download-on-your-playstation-4/#:~:text=Go%20to%20%5BSettings%5D%20%3E%20%5BSystem%5D%20%3E%20%5BAutomatic,to%20%5BApplication%20Update%20Files%5D.&text=Press%20and%20hold%20the%20PS,4%20system%20will%20turn%20orange. Sorry I just assumed he's on playstation.

It's his pc he is downloading it in
Unfortunately when it’s the servers not much you can do...play a different game and update overnight night...
EndlessWaves11/06/2020 15:52

Is it definitely 50Kbps and not 50Mbps? The latter would be a little low, …Is it definitely 50Kbps and not 50Mbps? The latter would be a little low, but not unreasonable. You'd expect 2-3 times that from AV1000 powerline adapters on average, but poor conditions can drop it and it may be limited by your internet connection or the update servers.

How can you say what speeds the op should be getting when you have no idea what speeds they are receiving from their isp
howarth313/06/2020 02:45

How can you say what speeds the op should be getting when you have no idea …How can you say what speeds the op should be getting when you have no idea what speeds they are receiving from their isp

Because I was talking about network speed rather than internet speed.

Although as someone in an area that doesn't even have superfast broadband yet I keep up to date with the state of the country's internet. 500Kbps is unfortunately possible, but 50Kbps connections were left behind a while ago. The 10Mbps USO should phase out most of the 600,000 homes with speeds below 10Mbps over the next two or three of years

(the government might also have a sudden attack of common sense and actually commit to funding their 1000Mbps minimum by 2025 election promise).
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 13th Jun
EndlessWaves13/06/2020 11:20

Because I was talking about network speed rather than internet …Because I was talking about network speed rather than internet speed.Although as someone in an area that doesn't even have superfast broadband yet I keep up to date with the state of the country's internet. 500Kbps is unfortunately possible, but 50Kbps connections were left behind a while ago. The 10Mbps USO should phase out most of the 600,000 homes with speeds below 10Mbps over the next two or three of years(the government might also have a sudden attack of common sense and actually commit to funding their 1000Mbps minimum by 2025 election promise).

Just really don’t understand how you can say ‘50mbps would be a little low but not unreasonable’ when you have no idea what speed they are receiving from their isp. If the op gets less than 50mbps from isp then how can 50mbps be unreasonable. There’s no point basing it on what speeds the powerline adapters can achieve without knowing what speed is coming into the building in the first place.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants