Powerline Headaches

Posted 27th Oct
Argh, so I want two ethernet connections behind my telly for our PS3 and smart TV as wifi seems congested. Anyone know of either a dual ethernet powerline adaptor, or some nano passthrough adaptors that'll fit next to another on a 2-gang socket?
I have some passthrough adaptors and some nano adaptors but I can only fit the nano adaptors and then there's no power for the TV, PS3, etc...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

37 Comments
Don't understand why not just fit a short multiple say 4 socket extension , or am I missing something?
Forget powerline. Go mesh, if on a budget get 3 tenda units, if less on a budget go for bt WiFi discs or google home WiFi.
morrig27/10/2019 20:05

Don't understand why not just fit a short multiple say 4 socket extension …Don't understand why not just fit a short multiple say 4 socket extension , or am I missing something?

Don't think they work well on an extension?
cmdr_elito27/10/2019 20:06

Forget powerline. Go mesh, if on a budget get 3 tenda units, if less on a …Forget powerline. Go mesh, if on a budget get 3 tenda units, if less on a budget go for bt WiFi discs or google home WiFi.

Will that really help with channel congestion for 2.4ghz devices? And also that's ~£70 as opposed to half that or less for powerline which bypasses wifi reliability entirely
jazzuk77727/10/2019 20:10

Will that really help with channel congestion for 2.4ghz devices? And also …Will that really help with channel congestion for 2.4ghz devices? And also that's ~£70 as opposed to half that or less for powerline which bypasses wifi reliability entirely

They run on 5ghz too. Less congested.

Google WiFi you can plug a small switch into the unit to connect via Ethernet to the unit, the unit then connects wirelessly to the next one if you wanted to do it that way.

I have google WiFi and it’s massively improved my connection for all my devices.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 27th Oct
cmdr_elito27/10/2019 20:06

Forget powerline. Go mesh, if on a budget get 3 tenda units, if less on a …Forget powerline. Go mesh, if on a budget get 3 tenda units, if less on a budget go for bt WiFi discs or google home WiFi.

There's mention of no power to to devices or does it mean no signal?
Are you suffering from buffering? What’s your connection speed?
morrig27/10/2019 20:05

Don't understand why not just fit a short multiple say 4 socket extension …Don't understand why not just fit a short multiple say 4 socket extension , or am I missing something?

Powerline have to be plugged into a wall plug to work.
cmdr_elito27/10/2019 20:11

They run on 5ghz too. Less congested.Google WiFi you can plug a small …They run on 5ghz too. Less congested.Google WiFi you can plug a small switch into the unit to connect via Ethernet to the unit, the unit then connects wirelessly to the next one if you wanted to do it that way.I have google WiFi and it’s massively improved my connection for all my devices.

No, a lot of items DON'T run on 5ghz. I've tried splitting my router and a number of devices can't see the 5Ghz SSID even, let alone connect to it.
Edited by: "jazzuk777" 27th Oct
Stevey8327/10/2019 20:13

Are you suffering from buffering? What’s your connection speed?

I'm getting buffering or drop-off. I've just got a new router, but things aren't looking much better yet. Wifi Analyzer shows 2.4Ghz looking congested and 5GHz fairly congested but manageable. However my smart TV and PS3 can't see 5Ghz, so that's no help.
cmdr_elito27/10/2019 20:15

Powerline have to be plugged into a wall plug to work.

Yes I thought that, but would they work but with a speed drop-off? I could live with that. if it was still over 10mbps. Just need 1080p quality bandwidth
jazzuk77727/10/2019 20:18

No, a lot of items DON'T run on 5ghz. I've tried splitting my router and a …No, a lot of items DON'T run on 5ghz. I've tried splitting my router and a number of devices can't see the 5Ghz SSID even, let alone connect ot it.

Only other way you might be able to do it with powerline is put a switch plugged into a single powerline adapter.

As for 5ghz plenty of devices work with it these days, everything aside from an old tv I have works with it. If you have a lot of old stuff then I guess you might have issues. The 5ghz range is shorter but allows faster speeds, mesh if setup correctly overcomes this if you setup the units within the 5ghz range of the other unit and so on.
jazzuk77727/10/2019 20:20

I'm getting buffering or drop-off. I've just got a new router, but things …I'm getting buffering or drop-off. I've just got a new router, but things aren't looking much better yet. Wifi Analyzer shows 2.4Ghz looking congested and 5GHz fairly congested but manageable. However my smart TV and PS3 can't see 5Ghz, so that's no help.

Can you change the channels in the router? Most non standard ones will let you, may help. Positioning of the router in relation to your devices can make a big difference
Stevey8327/10/2019 20:22

Can you change the channels in the router? Most non standard ones will let …Can you change the channels in the router? Most non standard ones will let you, may help. Positioning of the router in relation to your devices can make a big difference

Yes, I can but 2.4Ghz wifi analyzer is saying in the evenings all channels are poor. Better during the day but that's no help.
jazzuk77727/10/2019 20:23

Yes, I can but 2.4Ghz wifi analyzer is saying in the evenings all channels …Yes, I can but 2.4Ghz wifi analyzer is saying in the evenings all channels are poor. Better during the day but that's no help.

Can you plug your devices straight into the router?
TP-Link TL-WPA4226KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiFi Starter Kit, Range Extender, Broadband/WiFi Extender, WiFi Booster/Hotspot, No Configuration Required, UK Plug amazon.co.uk/dp/…8O/

Would this do it?
cmdr_elito27/10/2019 20:22

Only other way you might be able to do it with powerline is put a switch …Only other way you might be able to do it with powerline is put a switch plugged into a single powerline adapter.As for 5ghz plenty of devices work with it these days, everything aside from an old tv I have works with it. If you have a lot of old stuff then I guess you might have issues. The 5ghz range is shorter but allows faster speeds, mesh if setup correctly overcomes this if you setup the units within the 5ghz range of the other unit and so on.

My smart TV is a year old, maybe 18mth but can't see 5Ghz, admittedly PS3 is getting on. However I want them to work, hence looking at powerline.
Stevey8327/10/2019 20:24

Can you plug your devices straight into the router?

No, or I would have done it
cmdr_elito27/10/2019 20:25

TP-Link TL-WPA4226KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiFi Starter Kit, Range …TP-Link TL-WPA4226KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiFi Starter Kit, Range Extender, Broadband/WiFi Extender, WiFi Booster/Hotspot, No Configuration Required, UK Plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HD20F8O/Would this do it?

Looks like it would do it, but ouch the price!
jazzuk77727/10/2019 20:26

No, or I would have done it

Sorry professor. End of my trying to help
jazzuk77727/10/2019 20:26

Looks like it would do it, but ouch the price!

That’s kinda of why I was suggesting the mesh, this would make the WiFi less sucky for all devices whereas these will only help for 2 devices. Up to you really what you do and there can be loads of factors that affect WiFi.
Stevey8327/10/2019 20:28

Sorry professor. End of my trying to help

I know you meant well, but stating the obvious isn't really helping
cmdr_elito27/10/2019 20:29

That’s kinda of why I was suggesting the mesh, this would make the WiFi l …That’s kinda of why I was suggesting the mesh, this would make the WiFi less sucky for all devices whereas these will only help for 2 devices. Up to you really what you do and there can be loads of factors that affect WiFi.

No, I appreciate it, I'm googling the 2 port adaptors for some (cheaper) joy. Mesh is probably fine for 5ghz but I have a hunch that 2.4ghz is just all used up.
Have a look at Solwise they have a good range of multi port Ethernet over power units.
Google "unmanaged network switch"
And maybe one of these
38808979-wM3S5.jpg
esar28/10/2019 06:29

And maybe one of these[Image]

... As mentioned before I'm not sure if they work well (at all?), if not plugged directly in the wall. Maybe someone can confirm?
Edited by: "jazzuk777" 28th Oct
solwise.co.uk/net…htm Two port Ethernet with power pass through. I think the unit I’ve used before has been discontinued but this should do the job.
Run a cat6e cable to where you want the sockets and use an unmanaged switch. Be far better solution
jazzuk77728/10/2019 08:04

... As mentioned before I'm not sure if they work well (at … ... As mentioned before I'm not sure if they work well (at all?), if not plugged directly in the wall. Maybe someone can confirm?

Do you only have a single mains socket then?
esar28/10/2019 09:31

Do you only have a single mains socket then?

No, as per my original post I have a 2-gang socket but the passthrough adaptors I have are too wide to fit next to each other and if I use both the nano adaptors I have then they fit I have no sockets left to plug anything in. The nano won't fit next to the passthrough either.
Cunny28/10/2019 09:29

Run a cat6e cable to where you want the sockets and use an unmanaged …Run a cat6e cable to where you want the sockets and use an unmanaged switch. Be far better solution

I don't really want to run cables around my house, thanks.
jazzuk77728/10/2019 10:33

No, as per my original post I have a 2-gang socket but the passthrough …No, as per my original post I have a 2-gang socket but the passthrough adaptors I have are too wide to fit next to each other and if I use both the nano adaptors I have then they fit I have no sockets left to plug anything in. The nano won't fit next to the passthrough either.

Use a network switch as described earlier then
Just get a switch for under £10, why do people try and make things so complicated
how about these i have a set and they do well, , they are sometimes a bit cheaper but with the pound in the toilet i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that..
amazon.co.uk/TEN…1-4
jazzuk77727/10/2019 20:08

Don't think they work well on an extension?

I've no experience of using powerline myself, but I've read of people having problems using a powerline adaptor plugged into a surge protected extension, but not with unprotected extensions.

You can certainly buy dual port powerline adaptors, I nearly bought a set once with a pass through mains socket on it as well, or you could use a single port powerline with a separate switch (or even use an old 4 port router as a switch plus wifi access point). Wouldn't make any sense to plug two powerline adaptors next to each other.

You can even get a dual gang wall socket with powerline built in, those are not cheap though. screwfix.com/p/w…28v
Edited by: "melted" 28th Oct
melted28/10/2019 18:14

I've no experience of using powerline myself, but I've read of people …I've no experience of using powerline myself, but I've read of people having problems using a powerline adaptor plugged into a surge protected extension, but not with unprotected extensions.You can certainly buy dual port powerline adaptors, I nearly bought a set once with a pass through mains socket on it as well, or you could use a single port powerline with a separate switch (or even use an old 4 port router as a switch plus wifi access point). Wouldn't make any sense to plug two powerline adaptors next to each other.You can even get a dual gang wall socket with powerline built in, those are not cheap though. https://www.screwfix.com/p/wifi-connekt-single-band-n300-13a-2-gang-switched-socket-with-ethernet-2-1a-usb-add-on-socket/3628v

I was just wondering why they didn't exist. Might look at a switch, although a 2 port adaptor might be neater.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants