powerline newbie question

Posted 4th May
I have 350mb virgin media broadband and just bought the following starter kit
amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J652QRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7tgSEb6D6BXJS
and have couple of questions!

1. I’m only getting 70mb/s through Ethernet on Speedtest with Apple TV .. is this speed normal for these adaptors? (I’m using these 2m cat 7 cables)
amazon.co.uk/dp/B071ZQ5K1D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oIgSEbWCTB7TK

2. Ideally need two more powerline plugs, if I bought another starter pack, can they be added to the setup? Or is the plug with one Ethernet port used to connect to the router only?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Powerlines are not suitible for high speed especially the ones you bought, you should have got a decent mesh system.

You can add more but the amount your spending you could have done better
1. Have you tested Apple TV directly on a network cable to see what speed you get?

2.Are you plugging in to wall sockets or extension leads?
tri_9404/05/2020 20:37

1. Have you tested Apple TV directly on a network cable to see what speed …1. Have you tested Apple TV directly on a network cable to see what speed you get?2.Are you plugging in to wall sockets or extension leads?

Just tried a 5m cat 5 cable into the Apple TV , plugged directly into the VM Hub 3 and got 380mb , 37mb upload

Plugging into the wall socket
I should have stated..The reason I’m leaning towards Ethernet is due to the WiFi drop outs in the next room. My partner and myself are working from home and her connection is generally okay (apart from the odd drop out) however when I jump on my Mac , it kills her connection straight away!
Been on phone to Virgin media today and they tested and said they can’t see an issue

I also game now and then so need it stable
Edited by: "Mr.Krabs" 4th May
The quality of your house electrical wiring also is a factor on the speeds you get with powerline adaptors
(Link) your problem is buried at the bottom of that page. The Ethernet ports are only 100mbps you won’t pull more than that through it’ll max out at 80-90mbps.
70Mb/s is about what you'd expect from an AV500/AV600 powerline setup. If you bought a set using a newer standard (such as AV2-MIMO) then you could expect 200Mb/s+.

350Mbps is pushing it, although achievable.
EndlessWaves04/05/2020 22:33

70Mb/s is about what you'd expect from an AV500/AV600 powerline setup. If …70Mb/s is about what you'd expect from an AV500/AV600 powerline setup. If you bought a set using a newer standard (such as AV2-MIMO) then you could expect 200Mb/s+. 350Mbps is pushing it, although achievable.

Devolo magic 2 can go to 350 but are as expensive as a mesh
Many thanks all for your replies..a lot of food for thought and looks like I need to invest a lot more to see results
Mr.Krabs05/05/2020 12:33

Many thanks all for your replies..a lot of food for thought and looks like …Many thanks all for your replies..a lot of food for thought and looks like I need to invest a lot more to see results

I have the TP-Link AV1000 and get around 180Mb/s, i'm sure if you go for AV1200 or AV2000 you can get even better results.

Also the ones you purchased only have 100Mb/s ethernet ports so that was always going to be the theoretical limit.
Edited by: "Gormond" 5th May
I use 2x Tenda PH6 & 2xPH3 Gigabit adaptors and they've been rock solid, they handle most of my internet traffic and the feeds from my CCTV cameras - they give me all of my 110 down 10 up Virgin connection in a house that was last re-wired in the mid 1980's. If you're already having issues with WiFi I wouldn't bother with a mesh kit especially if you're going to link them by wifi - some of them are locked to specific channels you cant change which can be an issue in a congested wifi environment. The original BT Whole Home kit allows you to change channels on both bands, I have them and they were perfectly fine linked via wifi but I now use them with powerline adaptors as back-haul.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions