ppi... lies from bank HSBC

Found 22nd Jan
So I'm not sure if anyone has heard about the recent ppi miss selling recently ?
I called my bank in 2015 to ask them if I've been miss sold any ppi which they said no. Later that year I wrote to them asking if I had been miss sold, they wrote back saying NO.

I then used a no win / no fee company as they said they could try again...
And guess what £6000 owed but the ppi company are taking £2200.

My question to you guy's is because HSBC initially said no do I have a claim against them for basically not telling me I had a case for miss selling ?

Any advice appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I gather you read t&cs when you signed?
17 Comments
I gather you read t&cs when you signed?
If you were so sure you had been miss sold ppi you should've gone to the ombudsman. That would've been free.
The bank will say no because they don't believe they mis sold you ppi. Before you get ppi added there is paperwork with details and terms and conditions......... One agrees for that protection and then one signs. If you don't agree, you don't sign............Was that not how it was with you.
psychobitchfromhell5 m ago

If you were so sure you had been miss sold ppi you should've gone to the …If you were so sure you had been miss sold ppi you should've gone to the ombudsman. That would've been free.

Well no, op wasn't sure, that is why he was asking the bank.
steve.t2 m ago

Well no, op wasn't sure, that is why he was asking the bank.

And the bank would have replied in writing stating why not. That letter would explain how to escalate the complaint in case of deadlock.
Never heard of this PPI thing, only if there were a million adverts on TV and constant spam calls and emails.
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 55 m ago

If you were so sure you had been miss sold ppi you should've gone to the …If you were so sure you had been miss sold ppi you should've gone to the ombudsman. That would've been free.

I didn't actually know for sure I had any ppi on any products that I had from my bank. And as for the t&c's yes I read them but again didn't see any ppi on any of the documentation.
How much extra info did you have to supply to the Ppi claims co.?
Firstly contact the bank to ask why they advised you no. Then ask why they said yes to the claims company. All may become apparent, just be prepared that the bank may have been correct, as who knows what the claims people submitted on your behalf.
If they say they have no information on saying no to you then request all the data held on you under the data protection rules. This may cost you about £25 as I'm out of touch this may have gone up. You are doing this in hope of findìng information relating to them saying no.
If you get the information you need, then
Write a letter of complaint seeking compensation for your loss based on the incorrect information given to you on two particular occasions.
Finally if still you feel the bank are acting unfairly then write to the Banking Obudsman.
I have no idea on the outcome but from when I worked in banking this would seem the best way for you to sort everything out.
When dealing with you bank make a note of the following:Date, time, persons name and staff ID, and location.
Edited by: "hubcms" 23rd Jan
You could try the ombudsman ,in order to do that you must first raise this as a new complaint with the bank . The ombudsman will not take cases that have not gone through all other appropriate channels first. However your best chance of success will be if you have the original proof that you were told you didn't have a valid claim .

There is going to be no proof of a recording of the phone call from 3 years ago , so I hope you still have the letter they sent you . You probably won't be surprised that a number of people use a PPI claims company and then complain to the bank afterwards because they feel they have been charged such a heavy fee by the PPI claims company , so understandably the bank will be looking for proof that they misadvised you , and I wouldn't count on them to have a letter from 2015 either.

The other thing I would double check is that the PPI claims company actually got the money from HSBC and not another company, it might sound obvious , but they will have checked your credit history and may have approached many companies not just HSBC, make sure they didn't make a mistake about the source of the refund Good Luck .
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 23rd Jan
Any recommendations of ppi checker site please or do you go to the bank that the ppi was with? Was sold ppi by Halifax but found out later covered by employer. Thank you
Rose56 m ago

Any recommendations of ppi checker site please or do you go to the bank …Any recommendations of ppi checker site please or do you go to the bank that the ppi was with? Was sold ppi by Halifax but found out later covered by employer. Thank you

Not sure that's the banks fault then.
Rose531 m ago

Any recommendations of ppi checker site please or do you go to the bank …Any recommendations of ppi checker site please or do you go to the bank that the ppi was with? Was sold ppi by Halifax but found out later covered by employer. Thank you

and this is the whole issue with PPI, people who looked into the terms and conditions and found it was no point in getting PPI got nothing because they didn't take it out, when I say nothing they got bigger bank fees, higher overdraft costs, etc paying for the others who couldn't be bothered to read what they were signing up to. There are genuine cases of miss selling but sadly even those who were happy to take it out ended up getting their money back. Eventually there has to be a point where you take responsibility for your own actions.

And you weren't covered by your employer, what would happen if you lost your job your employer wouldn't have paid your whatever the PPI was related to.
eslick17 m ago

and this is the whole issue with PPI, people who looked into the terms and …and this is the whole issue with PPI, people who looked into the terms and conditions and found it was no point in getting PPI got nothing because they didn't take it out, when I say nothing they got bigger bank fees, higher overdraft costs, etc paying for the others who couldn't be bothered to read what they were signing up to. There are genuine cases of miss selling but sadly even those who were happy to take it out ended up getting their money back. Eventually there has to be a point where you take responsibility for your own actions.And you weren't covered by your employer, what would happen if you lost your job your employer wouldn't have paid your whatever the PPI was related to.

When I was young (19 the first time) and naive Lloyds actually told me that if I didnt take PPI out I wouldn't get the loan. This was in the days of having to make an appointment in the bank to go through the application. I didn't want it and certainly couldn't afford the extra on the loans. They got me about 3 times before I wised up. Never had PPI since. Serves them right in my case and others like it!
So where you had nothing before, you now have £3800. If you had got off your backside and filled in your own paperwork, then you'd have £6000 and you're asking if you can claim against HSBC for being too lazy to fill out your own paperwork.

If you'd read up around it in 2015, you could've just sent off the paperwork and got the money then rather than asking the bank if they think they'd mis sold the PPI, which they obviously don't. You can't claim any compensation for your loss be cause the bank didn't hold a gun to your head to use a PPI claim company, you chose to do that even though you thought you might get nothing.
hubcms2 h, 1 m ago

Firstly contact the bank to ask why they advised you no. Then ask why they …Firstly contact the bank to ask why they advised you no. Then ask why they said yes to the claims company. All may become apparent, just be prepared that the bank may have been correct, as who knows what the claims people submitted on your behalf.If they say they have no information on saying no to you then request all the data held on you under the data protection rules. This may cost you about £25 as I'm out of touch this may have gone up. You are doing this in hope of findìng information relating to them saying no.If you get the information you need, thenWrite a letter of complaint seeking compensation for your loss based on the incorrect information given to you on two particular occasions.Finally if still you feel the bank are acting unfairly then write to the Banking Obudsman.I have no idea on the outcome but from when I worked in banking this would seem the best way for you to sort everything out.When dealing with you bank make a note of the following:Date, time, persons name and staff ID, and location.

Thanks for the information, it gives me somewhere to start
jude721929 m ago

When I was young (19 the first time) and naive Lloyds actually told me …When I was young (19 the first time) and naive Lloyds actually told me that if I didnt take PPI out I wouldn't get the loan. This was in the days of having to make an appointment in the bank to go through the application. I didn't want it and certainly couldn't afford the extra on the loans. They got me about 3 times before I wised up. Never had PPI since. Serves them right in my case and others like it!

And that’s a case of perfect miss selling but many sadly just didn’t bother to read or understand.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants