Groups

Prague - Airport Taxi Advice Needed

Could anyone who's been to Prague, give their thoughts on travelling to and from the airport (to the centre of old town)?

I've been given this by the hotel trips-tickets.com/pro…fer
    It seems a rip off, especially when 2 people are travelling.
    Some less unbiased sites say use AAA taxis at the airport.

Other sites I've looked at, don't say if the price is for the vehicle or number of person wanting to travel it in. Which makes it difficult to know which is best.

The cheapest way seems to be the bus and metro, but I've ruled that out because of the luggage.

Thank you.

16 Comments

How much luggage? The bus stops right outside the airport terminal and goes to the metro. You only need one ticket for the bus and metro (40 crowns each).

I got a return transfer for £30

Original Poster

Thank you for the replies.

1 large suitcase, 1 carry on style suitcase and 1 camera backpack (carry on).

Edit: Landing at the airport round 18:00 (maybe that will be classed as rush hour when travelling locally).

Edited by: "Derek_Horatio_Shatwell" 4th Aug 2016

AAA taxis are good, always ask the receipt, stops the drivers trying to overcharge, although I've never had any problems

Bus from airport to tram think its yellow line to centre old square very cheap , buy tickets before you get on tram

Original Poster

sparxuk

AAA taxis are good, always ask the receipt, stops the drivers trying to … AAA taxis are good, always ask the receipt, stops the drivers trying to overcharge, although I've never had any problems

Thank you.

Do you ask for the receipt when you've told them your destination. Obviously you're not given it then, but you're making them aware that you're wise to a potential overcharge scam?
    Do they charge per person or it doesn't matter how many people are in the taxi?
    And finally, do they expect a tip?

Original Poster

aw08

Bus from airport to tram think its yellow line to centre old square very … Bus from airport to tram think its yellow line to centre old square very cheap , buy tickets before you get on tram

Thank you.
    The bus to the airport, is it similar to a UK coach, where you sit a level over your luggage, or is it similar to car rental type buses, that you can store your luggage on racks as you board?
    Do you need a additional ticket to carry your luggage?

katchiib

How much luggage? The bus stops right outside the airport terminal and … How much luggage? The bus stops right outside the airport terminal and goes to the metro. You only need one ticket for the bus and metro (40 crowns each).

Perfect answer if your sure you no which metro stop to get off for your hotel. The metro is very simple in Prague. So long as your confident enough to do so. If not, taxi it to your hotel (always ask how much upfront) and when confident enough with the city.. will only take a few days, use this solution to head back to the airport.

Original Poster

Wortho

Perfect answer if your sure you no which metro stop to get off for your … Perfect answer if your sure you no which metro stop to get off for your hotel. The metro is very simple in Prague. So long as your confident enough to do so. If not, taxi it to your hotel (always ask how much upfront) and when confident enough with the city.. will only take a few days, use this solution to head back to the airport.

Thank you.
    These are the stops I'd need.
    http://i.imgur.com/6Yzt3XB.jpg
    It does look pretty straight forward, but my concern is the hassle of carrying the luggage.

Shatwell

Thank you.These are the stops I'd need. It does look pretty straight … Thank you.These are the stops I'd need. It does look pretty straight forward, but my concern is the hassle of carrying the luggage.

The bus stop is directly outside the airport and the bus drops you directly at the metro station. All there is from memory is 2 separate flights of stairs.. 1 of them being an escalator. Your pickup and drop off on the metro is the green line. So perfect. No chopping there also. We had to hit the yellow then green to the airport bus. Wasnt stressful at all.

Original Poster

Wortho

The bus stop is directly outside the airport and the bus drops you … The bus stop is directly outside the airport and the bus drops you directly at the metro station. All there is from memory is 2 separate flights of stairs.. 1 of them being an escalator. Your pickup and drop off on the metro is the green line. So perfect. No chopping there also. We had to hit the yellow then green to the airport bus. Wasnt stressful at all.

Cool, thank you.
    Would you know the answers to my questions in post 7?

youtu.be/W_C…ehU
    This guy has several short videos I found really useful when I went to Prague a few weeks ago.
    You do need a ticket for a case bigger than a cabin bag. The ticket machines mostly work, and there are ticket offices and little shops where you can get change or buy tickets. I found the day tickets great value at 110ckz (half price for me as a senior) - if you've a child under 3 with you, it's free.
    P.S. Don't, repeat DON'T use taxis, except AAA or the bookable Prague Airport Transfer people (reliable but a lttle bit dearer, about 600czk from the airport) at prague-airport-transfers.co.uk/
    Other cabs on the street will rip you off outrageously. Have fun!
    Edited by: "aninginaneana" 4th Aug 2016

Shatwell

Cool, thank you.Would you know the answers to my questions in post 7?

Yes, there was space to put luggage on the bus, best to buy an all day pass (just remember to stamp it immediately once you get on the bus, you will see the machines to do so. Otherwise you may get a fine! It just validates it with a time for 24 hours) no there isn't any extra fees to take your luggage onto the bus/metro.

aninginaneana

https://youtu.be/W_CdFjbxehUThis guy has several short videos I found … https://youtu.be/W_CdFjbxehUThis guy has several short videos I found really useful when I went to Prague a few weeks ago.You do need a ticket for a case bigger than a cabin bag. The ticket machines mostly work, and there are ticket offices and little shops where you can get change or buy tickets. I found the day tickets great value at 110ckz (half price for me as a senior) - if you've a child under 3 with you, it's free.P.S. Don't, repeat DON'T use taxis, except AAA or the bookable Prague Airport Transfer people (reliable but a lttle bit dearer, about 600czk from the airport) at http://www.prague-airport-transfers.co.uk/Other cabs on the street will rip you off outrageously. Have fun!

We didn't pay for a suitcase.. maybe we got away with it.. so sorry for that part of my info!

Original Poster

aninginaneana

https://youtu.be/W_CdFjbxehUThis guy has several short videos I found … https://youtu.be/W_CdFjbxehUThis guy has several short videos I found really useful when I went to Prague a few weeks ago.You do need a ticket for a case bigger than a cabin bag. The ticket machines mostly work, and there are ticket offices and little shops where you can get change or buy tickets. I found the day tickets great value at 110ckz (half price for me as a senior) - if you've a child under 3 with you, it's free.P.S. Don't, repeat DON'T use taxis, except AAA or the bookable Prague Airport Transfer people (reliable but a lttle bit dearer, about 600czk from the airport) at http://www.prague-airport-transfers.co.uk/Other cabs on the street will rip you off outrageously. Have fun!

Awesome, thank you very much.
    That video is fantastic, I'll watch the rest in the series too.

Original Poster

Wortho

We didn't pay for a suitcase.. maybe we got away with it.. so sorry for … We didn't pay for a suitcase.. maybe we got away with it.. so sorry for that part of my info!

Thank you for the info and the info in post 13.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      3. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44
      4. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578

See more discussions