PRC Direct - be warned.

Found 9th Mar
I've been tempted to order from PRC Direct a few times (deals often appear on HUKD's). I've heard stories in deal threads of poor service etc, nothing that quite matches this though:

avforums.com/thr…93/

I'm not sure about you guys, but it was enough to stop me ever ordering after reading they completely ignored the customer.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Just remember that we only know half of the story and even what is written may not even be true. Every retailer will gave stories like this and just look at reviews for John Lewis on the likes of trust pilot and you would never shop there but then again most people love them.
23 Comments
Just remember that we only know half of the story and even what is written may not even be true. Every retailer will gave stories like this and just look at reviews for John Lewis on the likes of trust pilot and you would never shop there but then again most people love them.
deleted1166706
I find that John Lewis gets a portion of bad reviews by sheer sales numbers, being fair to that aspect. PRC don’t have the same presence, nor have I ever heard of people being ignored by John Lewis.

When I’ve called PRC in the past it’s always been a very abrupt and rude conversation if it’s anything but buying immediately.
Edited by: "deleted1166706" 10th Mar
Buy from Cooperative Electrical, they are good, and you can join up as a real co-operative member.
PRC Direct has been around for decades. They are around because they are cheap and they still do a reasonable customer service when you think that there are folks like Amazon, Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks, Co-Operative Electricals, John Lewis around. Caveat Emptor applies if you buy cheaper.

Objectively, IMHO, from the linked comment, which I quote here, "The short and bitter story is that I purchased the Samsung KS7500 TV from prcdirect.co.uk and it arrived with marks on the screen. They were originally trying to get me have an engineer look at it but after a week of emails and phone calls PRC Direct eventually replaced it."

That bold text is possibly where it went wrong for a brand new in the box with orginal manufacturer seal, in the trade, aka BNIB. You just don't repair or send an engineer to see marks, and that person did not express clearly what marks that they were, whether it was a BNIB purchase, which may be the critical fact.
deleted1166706
splender12 m ago

PRC Direct has been around for decades. They are around because they are …PRC Direct has been around for decades. They are around because they are cheap and they still do a reasonable customer service when you think that there are folks like Amazon, Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks, Co-Operative Electricals, John Lewis around. Caveat Emptor applies if you buy cheaper.Objectively, IMHO, from the linked comment, which I quote here, "The short and bitter story is that I purchased the Samsung KS7500 TV from www.prcdirect.co.uk and it arrived with marks on the screen. They were originally trying to get me have an engineer look at it but after a week of emails and phone calls PRC Direct eventually replaced it."That bold text is possibly where it went wrong for a brand new in the box with orginal manufacturer seal, in the trade, aka BNIB. You just don't repair or send an engineer to see marks, and that person did not express clearly what marks that they were, whether it was a BNIB purchase, which may be the critical fact.

I haven't got the page to hand, but I think they go on to say the replacement was supposed to be new and has a torn dust jacket. I get that things can go wrong, but to cut off the customer and ignore is pretty bad, struggling to find an excuse for it.
splender2 h, 14 m ago

Buy from Cooperative Electrical, they are good, and you can join up as a …Buy from Cooperative Electrical, they are good, and you can join up as a real co-operative member.

I've read no end of delivery woes with the Co-op on here, delivering large goods. Enough to make me think, no, never, not for me.
Wait, this person bought a KS7500? Those have only been available in open box, refurbished and repaired form for at least 6 months. The were discontinued. I'll be willing to bet they paid way under RRP. It's not good, but I'm wondering why they would choose to buy that TV.
deleted1166706
MSK.4 m ago

Wait, this person bought a KS7500? Those have only been available in open …Wait, this person bought a KS7500? Those have only been available in open box, refurbished and repaired form for at least 6 months. The were discontinued. I'll be willing to bet they paid way under RRP. It's not good, but I'm wondering why they would choose to buy that TV.

I had the same thought, perhaps a customer return/ex-display, however, they mention a 'new' replacement after the first so I'm inclined to say they were last of a particular stock. I'm mainly going by that thread and the manner they communicate on the phone, pretty presumptuous perhaps? But it's mainly gut instinct with some online companies.

I'm willing to give them wiggle room on grounds it could be a refurb and this guy perhaps being overly picky, that said, he can't get any more communication from them, can't think of anything reasonable to defend that.
alltaken12310th Mar

I had the same thought, perhaps a customer return/ex-display, however, …I had the same thought, perhaps a customer return/ex-display, however, they mention a 'new' replacement after the first so I'm inclined to say they were last of a particular stock. I'm mainly going by that thread and the manner they communicate on the phone, pretty presumptuous perhaps? But it's mainly gut instinct with some online companies. I'm willing to give them wiggle room on grounds it could be a refurb and this guy perhaps being overly picky, that said, he can't get any more communication from them, can't think of anything reasonable to defend that.

Someone in this thread comments about it's sister, non-curved model being sold out... that was in May 2017:

hotukdeals.com/dea…052

Some else comments they are all open box.

They either didn't know what they were buying, or they are trying it on when they didn't like what they got.
MSK.32 m ago

I've read no end of delivery woes with the Co-op on here, delivering large …I've read no end of delivery woes with the Co-op on here, delivering large goods. Enough to make me think, no, never, not for me.

Personal experience: I had no problem with a large item with 2 men muscling in my item ,TV. I got a text from a name "Phoenix".
alltaken12310th Mar

I had the same thought, perhaps a customer return/ex-display, however, …I had the same thought, perhaps a customer return/ex-display, however, they mention a 'new' replacement after the first so I'm inclined to say they were last of a particular stock. I'm mainly going by that thread and the manner they communicate on the phone, pretty presumptuous perhaps? But it's mainly gut instinct with some online companies. I'm willing to give them wiggle room on grounds it could be a refurb and this guy perhaps being overly picky, that said, he can't get any more communication from them, can't think of anything reasonable to defend that.

I finally got your point of your posts, you said, "he can't get any more communication from them, can't think of anything reasonable to defend that."

Where does it say on that forum that the customer received no reply from the last formal complaint letter, offering 14 days for PRC Direct to respond?

Edit:
You are warning people here, on one transaction, and there have been many exchanges between PRC Direct and customer since. Ultimtaley not all decades of complaints in trading are resolved satisfactorily, a chain of exchanges between seller and customer will have to come to an end, this is true from Harrods to a market trader. At a late point in time, either seller or customer will have to write, this is the final letter and then action is passed to the Small Claims! This is life, your opinion of , " can't think of anything reasonable to defend that." is just unrealistic.
Edited by: "splender" 10th Mar
MSK.26 m ago

Wait, this person bought a KS7500? Those have only been available in open …Wait, this person bought a KS7500? Those have only been available in open box, refurbished and repaired form for at least 6 months. The were discontinued. I'll be willing to bet they paid way under RRP. It's not good, but I'm wondering why they would choose to buy that TV.

Point well made, from a long time ago: I only ever went to Ilford and bought end-of-line items BNIB because they were cheap. I never bought any not BNIB items though.
deleted1166706
MSK.11 m ago

Someone in this thread comments about it's sister, non-curved model being …Someone in this thread comments about it's sister, non-curved model being sold out... that was in May 2017:https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/65-inch-samsung-ue65ks7500-with-5yr-warranty-124999-prc-direct-2697052Some else comments they are all open box. They either didn't know what they were buying, or they are trying it on when they didn't like what they got.

I don't know about that. PRC and Reliant are quite frequently replenishing old models from the previous year, that's why i'm not sure if it's a refurb/customer return or not. Either way, the same return rights apply under the distance selling regulations I'd have thought.

It just leaves me thinking that a return would not have been extraordinary (annoying for them, yes), forcing an engineer on the customer when they are within the return/swap out period is a little shady IMO.
deleted1166706
splender8 m ago

I finally got your point of your posts, you said, "he can't get any more …I finally got your point of your posts, you said, "he can't get any more communication from them, can't think of anything reasonable to defend that."Where does it say on that forum that the customer received no reply?

From the OP:

"The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes no mention of uplift numbers. Citizen's Advice suggested I make my complaint more formal and send them a written complaint letter using their template, and reference dates of emails that I reported these issues.

I did just that. They have had the letter for a week now and I still have yet to receive a reply, although I did give them 14 days as was suggested in the template letter. Needless to say I am not feeling optimistic."

"Emails have been frequent since January to PRC Direct (following failed repairs in November) with me seemingly talking to a brick wall.

If I don't get a reply within the already given timeframe (so 1 week left) then I will try CAB's other recommendation of an online dispute resolution. I was told to ask PRC Direct if they are a member of one of these already, I have asked twice in email and they never answered the question, so I am forced to follow CAB's link and see if I can get a third-party to intervene. Failing that then it's the small claims court."
alltaken12310th Mar

I don't know about that. PRC and Reliant are quite frequently replenishing …I don't know about that. PRC and Reliant are quite frequently replenishing old models from the previous year, that's why i'm not sure if it's a refurb/customer return or not. Either way, the same return rights apply under the distance selling regulations I'd have thought.It just leaves me thinking that a return would not have been extraordinary (annoying for them, yes), forcing an engineer on the customer when they are within the return/swap out period is a little shady IMO.

It does actually say they did replace it once. Not just sent an engineer out. I would have to wonder if there wouldn't be any more stock of a discontinued TV to replace it with a second time.
deleted1166706
I didn't say avoid them - I said to be wary, every company has bad and good reviews (mostly), however, when communication is lost and a customer is pushed down the engineer route whilst in the cooling off period... I can only deduce from what is written, the truth behind it is unknown and is fairly open to imterpretation.
alltaken12310th Mar

From the OP:"The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes no mention of uplift …From the OP:"The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes no mention of uplift numbers. Citizen's Advice suggested I make my complaint more formal and send them a written complaint letter using their template, and reference dates of emails that I reported these issues.I did just that. They have had the letter for a week now and I still have yet to receive a reply, although I did give them 14 days as was suggested in the template letter. Needless to say I am not feeling optimistic.""Emails have been frequent since January to PRC Direct (following failed repairs in November) with me seemingly talking to a brick wall.If I don't get a reply within the already given timeframe (so 1 week left) then I will try CAB's other recommendation of an online dispute resolution. I was told to ask PRC Direct if they are a member of one of these already, I have asked twice in email and they never answered the question, so I am forced to follow CAB's link and see if I can get a third-party to intervene. Failing that then it's the small claims court."

But your allegation is the main point, " that said, he can't get any more communication from them, can't think of anything reasonable to defend that."

Don't you understand in life, in a seller-customer stand-off, after many disputes and exchanges, emails and repairs and replacement..blah blah. In life, the last resort for the seller is to ignore with a final offer. The buyer's last resort is to go to small claims. How relevant is your statement at this late stage of disputes, "can't think of anything reasonable to defend that."
alltaken12310th Mar

I don't know about that. PRC and Reliant are quite frequently replenishing …I don't know about that. PRC and Reliant are quite frequently replenishing old models from the previous year, that's why i'm not sure if it's a refurb/customer return or not. Either way, the same return rights apply under the distance selling regulations I'd have thought.It just leaves me thinking that a return would not have been extraordinary (annoying for them, yes), forcing an engineer on the customer when they are within the return/swap out period is a little shady IMO.

I think you made a mountain out of a mole hill (from a single one-sidedcomplaint in AVFORUM).
deleted1166706
Let's dial it back a little. The user states:

"PRC Direct's stance is that they require an uplift number from Samsung and then they will collect and refund the TV.Samsung tell me this is not right and that they only supply uplift numbers to Currys/Dixon's, and even then only within 28 days of purchase."

Now I'm not going to jump to any conclusions - I am however going to go by the advice from the CAB and Samsung. In that Samsung have stated they can't provide an uplift for this retailer, as that's not an option. PRC appear to be using this as a way of avoiding return. If the manufacturer is indeed telling the truth (I'm inclined to believe they are) then what does leave any potential customer thinking? In my eyes it's not an honest mistake to make when you tie it in with the other issues from that thread.
alltaken12310th Mar

Let's dial it back a little. The user states:"PRC Direct's stance is that …Let's dial it back a little. The user states:"PRC Direct's stance is that they require an uplift number from Samsung and then they will collect and refund the TV. Samsung tell me this is not right and that they only supply uplift numbers to Currys/Dixon's, and even then only within 28 days of purchase."Now I'm not going to jump to any conclusions - I am however going to go by the advice from the CAB and Samsung. In that Samsung have stated they can't provide an uplift for this retailer, as that's not an option. PRC appear to be using this as a way of avoiding return. If the manufacturer is indeed telling the truth (I'm inclined to believe they are) then what does leave any potential customer thinking? In my eyes it's not an honest mistake to make when you tie it in with the other issues from that thread.

All the complaint had to do was, there is no need to know one's consumer rights under the law, to have said, backed up with a letter, "I don't want it, may I have my money back." in the very early stage.
deleted1166706
splender6 m ago

All the complaint had to do was, there is no need to know one's consumer …All the complaint had to do was, there is no need to know one's consumer rights under the law, to have said, backed up with a letter, "I don't want it, may I have my money back." in the very early stage.

I agree, and it wouldn't be fair to speculate on a hypothetical if they had. In my experience if an item is faulty within the first 7/14/28 days most retailers are very open to asking if you would like a replacement or refund, if a replacement and it is delivered faulty, most have offered a full refund without issue. I appreciate we don't know all the facts and could debate what we think has actually happened/is likely the case all day - thanks for bringing some really good points to the topic!
Just stumbled across this now. The post in question on Avforums is actually by me.

Given how dismissive PRC Direct have been, I certainly would not recommend them for an expensive purchase. Lesson learned. Granted they may be OK for you, it just depends if your purchase is faulty or not, and whether your prepared to potentially go through the hassle of court action. I feel I have tried to avoid that.

The matter to this day is still not resolved. I can't recall how upto date that topic is, as much of the discussion has been in the dedicated TV model thread at avforums.

Citizen's Advice suggested upto 3 letters, if no response to try an ADR, and ultimately take them to small claims court. I never did send the 3 letters. I sent 1, and was so annoyed at the fact they did not bother to reply, I reluctantly tried my luck with Samsung against the advice of Citizen's Advice Bureau.

As of now, I have had several engineer visits. They replaced the panel a total of 3 times. The previous panel was by far the worst, just a week later a black line appeared which was apparently from some edgelit LEDs dying. Most frustrating of all, the popping fault still continues. They first replaced the TV mainboard. That didn't work, they then last replaced the One Connect board.

The latest repair of the panel and One Connect board replacement was actually only a few weeks ago - and I'm still not with a fault-free TV as yet.

I need to get onto CAB again, who will no doubt not be amused by the fact I tried to get the issue resolved with the manufacturer rather than pressing on with the stress and resistance from PRC Direct.
I know this discussion on hukd took place a couple months ago, but now I am aware of it, and as some of you have questioned whether it was new or not. I feel like clearing that up for anyone that revisits.

Yes, it was boxed. New. In actual fact I sourced the deal, as most visitors here do, through this very HUKD website. This is the deal and how much I paid. hotukdeals.com/dea…942
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants