Groups

Pre Black Friday Price Increase Scam.

Its Black Friday in just over a week, and its seems retailers have started to increase prices..

Yesterday, Many retailers were listing 500GB XBOX One with Forza for £179.99, some like Tesco were doing other games included too...

Today it seems those deal have vanished and the console have jumped back up in price to £229.99 just for the console.

Ive posted images below to show..

as Argos has been too lazy to change there homepage promotions..

Ive noticed this on some TV's on Amazon too, anyone else seen any?

41 Comments

Original Poster

This the homepage as of yesterday (although still the same today)
    https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15068876_10210274373748284_5074152840710658210_o.jpg

And the actual todays price which is being advertised as was £249.99 which I'm sure they are breaking the law doing... as it was £179.99
    https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15000049_10210274404349049_1878305153177935540_o.jpg

Edited by: "haritori" 14th Nov 2016

They do this every year for Black Friday. It's to mug people off into thinking they're getting a great deal when they're only actually getting the deal that had already been offered before. I remember Amazon doing the same last year. I bought a pair of trainers from them at a reduced price. The week of BF, the price went back up and then on BF the price came back down again but was still more than I'd paid.

Original Poster

stuarthanley

They do this every year for Black Friday. It's to mug people off into … They do this every year for Black Friday. It's to mug people off into thinking they're getting a great deal when they're only actually getting the deal that had already been offered before. I remember Amazon doing the same last year. I bought a pair of trainers from them at a reduced price. The week of BF, the price went back up and then on BF the price came back down again but was still more than I'd paid.

Its annoying me because i want to buy today at the offer price it was yesterday, but now they are going to make me wait until a week on Friday like they are doing me a favour!

How dare they do offers, shame on them. You are right its illegal, im calling the police

Banned

What do you expect mate?

We all know 95% of it is a con.

Original Poster

davidian84

How dare they do offers, shame on them. You are right its illegal, im … How dare they do offers, shame on them. You are right its illegal, im calling the police

Past your bedtime mate.

YouDontWantToKnow

What do you expect mate?We all know 95% of it is a con.

I know, but its **** me off tonight, esp as i missed that Tesco Deal at 2AM lol.

Report your cases with facts, screen dumps to the CMA; it is "a market not working well" for Black Friday market , namely, putting prices up and then decrease giving an impression of a bigger discount than it really is:-
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/organisation/logo/550/CMA_Logo_01.png

gov.uk/gov…ity
    I think the "Black Friday" events come under the issue section: -
    Markets that are not working well can result in negative effects for consumers, businesses and the economy. For example: consumers may be unable to make informed choices about prospective purchases and there is a form to fill in to bring your specific case to CMA attention on page:-
    gov.uk/gui…lem
    These things used to come under OFT but they closed down in 2014 : gov.uk/gov…ing
    As to whether they broken the consumer law, I am unsure, I think it is more like CMA type of competitions law: as legally a shop can of course move their prices up and down anytime that they want to, the prices will have to be made known , "offer and acceptance" with a "consideration", and therefore discount from a previous price is genuine unless they quoted a certain date when higher price was supposed to be and it is found to be false. So this stuff of moving prices up big scale in the market, and then discount on Black Friday, is a behaviour that CMA may wish to take action on.

Edited by: "splender" 14th Nov 2016

davidian84

How dare they do offers, shame on them. You are right its illegal, im … How dare they do offers, shame on them. You are right its illegal, im calling the police

YouDontWantToKnow

The fact that you missed the Tesco deal may give rise to a justification to draw your case to the CMA as you were unable " to make informed choices about prospective purchases" due to expectation of a "Black Friday" reduction (there is but price was jackedup). Fill in form here gov.uk/gui…lem

davidian84

YouDontWantToKnow

I was up then and didn;t want one X)

I wish I'd bought one for you now

Edited by: "deeky" 14th Nov 2016

Original Poster

deeky

I was up then and didn;t want one X)I wish I'd bought one for you now

I saw your comments lol I went bed early for once and I never go early the wife usually there

haritori

I saw your comments lol I went bed early for once and I never go early … I saw your comments lol I went bed early for once and I never go early the wife usually there

I hear you X)

Very still got the £179.99 bundle for sale at the same price.

I have been watching the price of something on my Amazon wish list for a fair few weeks or months. It's been £69 for almost the whole time. The cheapest price I could see it elsewhere is Argos at the same price.
    But now today it's all of a sudden at £74.99 on Amazon.
    On the one hand yes it's cynical, sadly, but actually I'm a little excited Because I suspect there could be a lightning deals discount round the corner

You can also archive web pages of the products that you are interested (next time, Black Friday) a few days before, on here and its beta version archive.org/web…php
    http://archive.org/web/images/logo_wayback_210x77.png
    Say there is a product that you are interested
    1/ go to the above web site
    2/ search on that url link
    3/ and then save its link image as of then
    4/ then you can come back to it later
    5/ or do a PDF print of screen shot and save on your disk, then you have the evidence to send to CMA
    Edited by: "splender" 14th Nov 2016

Banned

https://s16.postimg.org/l22d8qv7p/IMG_1057.jpg

Original Poster

splender

You can also archive web pages of the products that you are interested … You can also archive web pages of the products that you are interested (next time, Black Friday) a few days before, on here and its beta version http://archive.org/web/web.php.Say there is a product that you are interested1/ go to the above web site2/ search on that url link3/ and then save its link image as of then4/ then you can come back to it later5/ or do a PDF print of screen shot and save on your disk, then you have the evidence to send to CMA

I might just complain, although tomorrow now

MrScotchBonnet

NO wonder most stores in Harrow have a 50% off sign out of the windows.. every day for the whole year

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

Anyone remember streetwise sports that place had a closing down sale the day they opened and for 10 years after lol.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/AP12CH/streetwise-sports-street-wise-closing-down-all-stock-must-go-game-AP12CH.jpg

haritori

I might just complain, although tomorrow now

The more people draw actual situations to their attention the more concrete the overall case is, they are hot on reasonable competition and fairness for all businesses.

haritori

Anyone remember streetwise sports that place had a closing down sale the … Anyone remember streetwise sports that place had a closing down sale the day they opened and for 10 years after lol.

False Closing Down claim is one of 31 sharp business practices outlawed from around 2008.
    The most important thing to note is that: "Claiming that the trader is about to
    cease trading or move premises when he is not” is a Banned Practice under Schedule 1 of
    the Consumer Protection Rights and hence a commercial practice which is considered unfair in all circumstances and a criminal offence which is punishable upon conviction in the Magistrates’ Court by way of a fine up to £5,000 or upon conviction in the Crown
    Court by way of a prison sentence of up to 2 years and/or an unlimited fine.
    The above is enforced by your local Trading Standards Department.

This is why I love sites like camelcamelcamel, PSprices and the Enhanced Steam extension.

JUst stick to what you want if you've been after something for a while you will know its price and if its a bargain or not.

ARe smyths doing black friday theres a hot wheels thing I was waiting til nearer Christmas to get which has jumped up by a fiver think it happened at the end of last week.

I did notice the Nintendo 2ds bundles shot up by £6 odd overnight on Amazon. Sneaky blighters.
    Edited by: "majestic2012" 15th Nov 2016

how dare the shops have different promotions starting and stopping all the time.

how very dare they.

splender

The fact that you missed the Tesco deal may give rise to a justification … The fact that you missed the Tesco deal may give rise to a justification to draw your case to the CMA as you were unable " to make informed choices about prospective purchases" due to expectation of a "Black Friday" reduction (there is but price was jackedup). Fill in form here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tell-the-cma-about-a-competition-or-market-problem

drivel, utter drivel.

davidian84

If you don't understand, don't comment and save yourself any embarrassment.

Error440

JUst stick to what you want if you've been after something for a while … JUst stick to what you want if you've been after something for a while you will know its price and if its a bargain or not.ARe smyths doing black friday theres a hot wheels thing I was waiting til nearer Christmas to get which has jumped up by a fiver think it happened at the end of last week.

You'd better keep your eyes on it, they've already started.

I'm like your own personal Googler X)

Edited by: "deeky" 15th Nov 2016

deeky

I was up then and didn;t want one X)I wish I'd bought one for you now

I wokE up at 3.30am and checked my phone #thatisworthgettingoutofbedfor
    started checking prices on CEX but didn't buy one
    sorry OP

eset12345

drivel, utter drivel.

How about you PM me with a confirmation that you want to commit to give me £1000 against my drivel which is worthless at £0 if "haritori" got a positive response from CMA (namely, his grievance is reasonable)?

splender

How about you PM me with a confirmation that you want to commit to give … How about you PM me with a confirmation that you want to commit to give me £1000 against my drivel which is worthless at £0 if "haritori" got a positive response from CMA (namely, his grievance is reasonable)?

how about you attempt to justify why they couldn't make an informed choice on offers that had expiry dates clearly advertised and that stock of said offers isnt guaranteed and the fact the black Fridays deals haven't been confirmed or even advertised.

where does the expectation of a black Friday deal come from if the store hasn't in any way, shape or form advertised such a deal being available on black Friday?

Black Friday is generally a non event for me, as like you say similar quality deals pop up all year round anyway. Black Friday just has the same good deals surrounded by 95% clearing old stock deals

eset12345

how about you attempt to justify why they couldn't make an informed … how about you attempt to justify why they couldn't make an informed choice on offers that had expiry dates clearly advertised and that stock of said offers isnt guaranteed and the fact the black Fridays deals haven't been confirmed or even advertised.where does the expectation of a black Friday deal come from if the store hasn't in any way, shape or form advertised such a deal being available on black Friday?

Are you going to withdraw your nasty comment of calling my helpful assistance to someone else , haritori, utter drivel or I shall send a message to the moderator about your unacceptable behaviour? Saying stuff is drivel but you don't know why?

Error440

JUst stick to what you want if you've been after something for a while … JUst stick to what you want if you've been after something for a while you will know its price and if its a bargain or not.ARe smyths doing black friday theres a hot wheels thing I was waiting til nearer Christmas to get which has jumped up by a fiver think it happened at the end of last week.

yes they are. A rep came to a misc post after it was claimed they won't be.

Original Poster

eset12345

how about you attempt to justify why they couldn't make an informed … how about you attempt to justify why they couldn't make an informed choice on offers that had expiry dates clearly advertised and that stock of said offers isnt guaranteed and the fact the black Fridays deals haven't been confirmed or even advertised.where does the expectation of a black Friday deal come from if the store hasn't in any way, shape or form advertised such a deal being available on black Friday?

The Black Friday part was clearly an assumption one I am pretty confident will come into fruition,

But your comments were based on argos having offers and expiring nothing to do with my Black Friday Comment and they are neither constructive not helpful.. Argos were blatantly falsely advertising the bundle price for £179.99 yet the offer wasnt available Trading Standards state "It is illegal for shops to sell things at more than their advertised price."

on top of that they were advertising previous prices at above the previous sale prices, something which is in breach of trading standards again, they must legally advertise the price it was previously, if its a sale price which they were advertising it as.

Have you noticed Scamazon are grouping products together? So it shows a picture of something of reasonable value, with a price range like this:

https://s12.postimg.org/j42cxk9wt/pit_1.png

Then you click through and the price of the pictured item is massively higher and there some cheap mildly related thing throw in to bring the price range down:

https://s17.postimg.org/e89iz20qn/pit_2.png4

They're mixed in with all the singular products, rather than having sections of their own.

I can see this is going to be a massively tedious week already.

Edited by: "MSK." 16th Nov 2016

Half of this junk doesn't even have prices on it!

https://s17.postimg.org/v3ijzwt67/junk.png

I think I'm nearly done for the year already. I'm not really prepared to work just to see how much things cost. The filtering options were already diabolical, I don't need this.

Bioshock collection on X1 -
    £24.99 yesterday
    £32.99 today

Banned

haritori

Its annoying me because i want to buy today at the offer price it was … Its annoying me because i want to buy today at the offer price it was yesterday, but now they are going to make me wait until a week on Friday like they are doing me a favour!

snooze you lose

Original Poster

joetootell

snooze you lose

Maybe, but you can bet that if it wasnt black Friday next week that offer would still be on..

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

Half of this junk doesn't even have prices on it!I think I'm nearly done … Half of this junk doesn't even have prices on it!I think I'm nearly done for the year already. I'm not really prepared to work just to see how much things cost. The filtering options were already diabolical, I don't need this.

that selection made me laugh :D..
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1215
      2. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?712
      3. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!77
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767220

See more discussions