Pre paid cards to use in Europe?

9 replies
Found 10th Feb
I am due to go Amsterdam next month and then a number of cities between April and June (one being Budapest which isn't euro currency but within the euro zone) and I need a card to use abroad as my current account would be expensive towards the end.

I've seen people mention the Halifax Clarity Card but I won't pass a new credit check for a credit card (still working on that) so if anyone knows a decent card I could use around £1000 of spending money

1. Ask
  2. Card
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Card
9 Comments

I used revolut in Belgium and Spain last october, look into their fees - their exchange rates are the best but I think if you withdraw over £500 or something then they start charging, but before that everything is free (inc cash withdrawals)

Revolut, monzo or supercard are the three best. Note supercard charges for withdrawal

I'd try Metrobank - they have (or at least used to?) have fee-free transactions in Europe and I personally found the rates pretty good. Can use their card (mastercard) to pay for things and also at ATMs just as you would here. Can open an account and get card etc. on the same day from a branch if you have one near by

The Eurozone the Euro currency area so what are you on about in your first post OP?

Original Poster

mtuk1

The Eurozone the Euro currency area so what are you on about in your … The Eurozone the Euro currency area so what are you on about in your first post OP?

Non Euro currency but within the European union I believe?

Peskybunny

Non Euro currency but within the European union I believe?

No. The Eurozone is used for reference for the countries using the single currency.

used revolut in europe asia and australia. £500 free withdrawals per month (starting on 1st of every month)

best exchange rates - interbank rates

revolut

Original Poster

Well thank you for your help people, just another question, is it worth topping up now? or at a better exchange rate (whether they'll happen) or does it auto change the amount due to exchange rate each day?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941396
    2. Marmite1823
    3. Krack WiFi vuln1121
    4. UBER can be a waste of money1019

See more discussions