Groups

Pregnancy Advice

hi i am just wondering if any women can give me any advise, im pregnant with my first child and shes due on friday but i dont think shes going to come by then, (i think shes lazy like her mum lol) im back at the midwife next tuesday if i havent had her and she has said she can give me a sweep to try and start things off, ive read abit about this on the net and to me it doesnt sound very nice and it sounded like its quite painful so im unsure of wether to have it done, as she said its my choice, i know it wont hurt as much as labour will but im absolutly dreading labour but i know i cant do anything about it the babies got to come out, would anyone recommend the sweep? and does it hurt as much as i am expecting it to. thanks

37 Comments

Banned

a sweep is just like an internal examination, its uncomfortable but nothing compared to labour

its not agony just more uncomfortable
    prob hurts nowhere near whet u expect it too
    see what others say its over with in seconds anyway
    good luck x

I had a sweep because my waters broke but my labour had only progressed from 2cm dialted to 2.5cm in 20 hours although I wasn't in pain.
    The sweep itself was not painful, but was uncomfortable. I know that I am probably an unusual case, but after having the sweep, I then went on to give birth 52 minutes later. So, yes, I would recommend!

Banned

Old wives tale

Clean the windows LOL

aah dont worry, everything will go well. i was told its ok to go over your date by 14 days as long as mother and baby are well. they will induce if there is any difficulties.

i had the sweep. it was to break my waters and to bring labour. it didnt work, it didnt huuurt, it was just uncomfortable..and gave me period like cramps...but i was sent home and two days later nature took its course without any interventions.

stay relaxed, and try not to think of the worst.....and always ask questions on everything you're not sure about...good luck and i hope it goes well.

sorry never heard of sweep put i was told a hot curry and sorry to say a bit of the other helps lol

jellybaby22;6060335

I had the sweep thing with my first daughter...wasnt painful..( a bit … I had the sweep thing with my first daughter...wasnt painful..( a bit uncomfy.....but not much...) didnt work and I had to be induced at +17 days...... good luck x

Hello. Was going to ask where you've been lately as not seen you for ages, but then saw your location :whistling:

Banned

hey hun, i had sweeps with both of mine and neither were sore or even uncomfortable.
    Honestly, i know everyones different but its nothing to worry about xx

Same with me hun, the midwife done it while i was getting examined and I didnt even know she had done :w00t: Sure you will be ok though

jellybaby22;6060733

:lol: had no broadband.. for 2 months...cmon..it doesnt take 2 months to … :lol: had no broadband.. for 2 months...cmon..it doesnt take 2 months to get into my predicament.....2 minutes more like..:lol:

congrats on number 2 x

OP

i know every0one said theirs didnt hurt but mine made me cry, not trying to deliberatly scare you just being honest

ps i am a whimp

Dont know if it's of any use but after my 2nd, I had a sweep, nothing happened. Got induced- was absolutely dreading being induced. They stuck a tablet up there at 10pm at night. Then they gave me a sleeping tablet (which was absolute bliss!), got a 2nd tab up there at 6.30-ish. I used a TENS machine and used hynotherapy cd (meant I didnt have to listen to everyone else moaning and groaning...) . By 9am, I said that I really needed pain relief. Suddenly, I was rushed up to the labour ward and at 9.15am, out came son no 2- all 9 and 1/2 lbs (and no pain relief). So, if you go down this route and are induced, I cant say it's a barrel of laughs but at least you are in a hospital, ready for action and you dont give birth in the car or hospital reception...

Original Poster

thanks for all the feedback, im a whimp aswel lol hate anythin to do with pain and i hate blood and gore, when i was in school i fainted on a talk about giving birth lol ive been reading bits and bobs on the net but i feel ill just reading it, ive been told my babies not going to be small so thats got me worrying i wont be able to push her out , alsorts of horror things have been going through my mind but i suppose when im in labour i wont give a damn whats going on lol

Banned

pink-ka;6062229

thanks for all the feedback, im a whimp aswel lol hate anythin to do with … thanks for all the feedback, im a whimp aswel lol hate anythin to do with pain and i hate blood and gore, when i was in school i fainted on a talk about giving birth lol ive been reading bits and bobs on the net but i feel ill just reading it, ive been told my babies not going to be small so thats got me worrying i wont be able to push her out , alsorts of horror things have been going through my mind but i suppose when im in labour i wont give a damn whats going on lol

awww hun i remeber my first, asking my mum how bad the pain was gonna be and her saying she couldnt explain the sort of pain, and it was bloody horrendous but i lived to tell the tale and have two more, best wishes to you xx

Aww hun by then you will just want the baby out and will be happy to do anything to start her off....... for now lots of spicy food , walking and sex.

I had a sweep woth my little boy as my waters were broken but no contractions and it nearly made my eyes pop out of my head but she did say she was going to be vigourous to get things going so i didnt need to be induced the next day....i started to have strong contractions within 30 mins and i had my boy 2 hours later x

GOOD LUCK x

pink-ka;6062229

thanks for all the feedback, im a whimp aswel lol hate anythin to do with … thanks for all the feedback, im a whimp aswel lol hate anythin to do with pain and i hate blood and gore, when i was in school i fainted on a talk about giving birth lol ive been reading bits and bobs on the net but i feel ill just reading it, ive been told my babies not going to be small so thats got me worrying i wont be able to push her out , alsorts of horror things have been going through my mind but i suppose when im in labour i wont give a damn whats going on lol

i know its easy to say it will be ok, but it will be

I was nervous the entire time i was pregnant every little twinge made me think the worst, (i had 2previous missed misscarriages)

Then i was dreading needing a c section as im so petite, and in the end i did need an emergency c section, i cried when they told as i was soooo scared, but it wasnt as bad as all that. And after all the drugs going and 15 hours in labour i kept falling asleep LOL
    I didnt feel a thing and was home in 2 days recovery isnt great though took about 6 weeks for full recovery but i was driving after 2 weeks as i was going mad indoors

i was really disapointed as i wanted a natural delivery but hey ho i got a healthy baby out of it

all i wanted to say was when you worry about something it makes it seems worse and it never ends up being as bad as you thought, if it was that terrible women would only ever have 1 child xxxx

take care

ps gas and air is proper trippy try it xxx

pink-ka;6062229

They are normally wrong about weight hun so i wouldnt worry and both of my midwives told me bigger babys are easier to push out dues to more weight behind them, you will be fine x

pink-ka;6062229

I'd not worry about this at all. My midwife did this to me with my first, kept telling me my baby was massive and I was really worrying about her coming out, but she ended up being 7lb 4 - not exactly massive at all. I think she was just feeling all the monster munch I'd been eating.... :whistling:

As for the sweep - I'd go for it. It's no more uncomfortable than having a smear test and if it stops you having to be induced, all the better. Good luck with the birth :thumbsup:

again, I wouldnt take much notice of things when they pass comment on how big/small your baby is going to be......they told me my youngest wasnt that big and i was carrying a lot of fluid.........he was 9 and half pounds!!!!

I had sweeps with both of mine, they really didn't hurt at all, I think it's the embarrassment that is uncomfortable (but of course the midwives have done this hundreds if not thousands of times before)

Best wishes to you, I hope she comes without induction like mine!

bitseylango;6062492

again, I wouldnt take much notice of things when they pass comment on how … again, I wouldnt take much notice of things when they pass comment on how big/small your baby is going to be......they told me my youngest wasnt that big and i was carrying a lot of fluid.........he was 9 and half pounds!!!!

they said my DD would be 6Ib.05

she came out 7Ib. 10.5:w00t:

thats huge for a little one like me

ilovepink;6062646

they said my DD would be 6Ib.05she came out 7Ib. 10.5:w00t:thats huge for … they said my DD would be 6Ib.05she came out 7Ib. 10.5:w00t:thats huge for a little one like me

Im only 5ft and the OH is 6ft 5........I didnt stand a chance

Best of luck to you! You will be fine & it is quite an experiance one that lives with you forever (the birth that is)
    I had a sweep with my 1st, slightly uncomftable but she wasnt budging! I was induced at 10 days over.

My 2nd came 2 days late he was 9lb 2oz!!! Im only 5,2 and I was fine, no stitches either lol!!!

The best bit of advice I can give you is follow the midwifes instructions whilst in the pushing stages, I feel thats why I never had stitches with either of mine.

Best of luck!! Exciting....... enjoy it while they are tiny, they grow too fast! My little one is 8 months now and only seems like yesterday.

Tinkytayls;6062326

They are normally wrong about weight hun so i wouldnt worry and both of … They are normally wrong about weight hun so i wouldnt worry and both of my midwives told me bigger babys are easier to push out dues to more weight behind them, you will be fine x

I agree, they told me I was going to have whopper (their words!) and he was 7 pounds 10. That's pretty average really. Sweeps aren't the nicest thing but I found being induced much worse! :whistling: You'll be fine though I'm sure. As to the blood and gore, I couldn't see any of it as my bump was so big and I had my eyes shut for most of the time I was in labour! ;-)

im sure i have heard being induced can cause a more painful labour so i will prob give the sweep a go 1st

Banned

edjaned;6063327

im sure i have heard being induced can cause a more painful labour so i … im sure i have heard being induced can cause a more painful labour so i will prob give the sweep a go 1st

your right, they are not nice, daughter my waters where broke and put on a drip and the labour was horrendous as i went into full blown labour, no build up and i didnt know how to deal with it, with my son my waters broke naturally, on the day i was going in to be started a week early, and as i didnt dilate had to go on a drip again, and the same straight into full blown labour, it isnt nice and as i havent really gone into a natural labour so to speak cant really say what the difference is, its gonna hurt but you will live through it and will have a wee little one as a reward ;-)

edjaned;6063327

im sure i have heard being induced can cause a more painful labour so i … im sure i have heard being induced can cause a more painful labour so i will prob give the sweep a go 1st

agreed!

hi just thought i would say with my first child i was given a scan the day before i was due to give birth and was told that he wold weigh over 13 lb but when he was born he weigh 5lb 12oz i asked the midwife why the big mistake on his weight and was told the weight goes on the size of head while the babys in the tummy, yes my son had a big head compared to the rest of his body but he was fine

whats funny is when i was 24 weeks pregnant there was concern my baby had a small head that was the reason i was scaned every week

Not always the case that being induced = painful labour. My first was induced, and I thought my contractions second time around were more intense. Saying that I was given pessary and luckily it worked, I didnt need the drip. But my experiance of induction was a good one.

i was induced with my first, pessary the night before then one in the morning i was then put on the drip then had waters broken. i feel for me the labour jumped to being nothing to full blown labour straight away yes it was painful but because i was induced painkillers were introduced straight away with my second labour i only just made it to hospital to give birth and midwife gave me petherdine which effected the baby but all worked out fine in end they gave baby injection to counteract the petherdine. third labour was i say the hardest and most painful i dont no why but i have heard a few people say this.
    i think what im trying to say is that all child births are different and all that we go through is worth it in the end (well till they get teenagers and the pain starts again LOL), when you hold that baby in your arms it will hopefully seem worth it

Banned

I was induced with my first too at 38 weeks as i had pre-eclampsia. They gave me the tablet, put up there, at 8pm and by 10pm i was in labour.

Midwifes wouldnt believe me though and kept telling me to sleep or have a bath!! Grrr :x

Hours later they decided to check, realised i was 3cm and took me down to the delivery room. 16 hours later, I hadnt dilated anymore and there was problems with my babies heart rate so I was taken for a em-cs.

i know i didnt do the whole labour but the contractions i had were frequent enough (every 5 mins) and although its sore its managable. i found it helpful to go to my own place in my head and just think after each contraction 'well thats one closer to meeting my baby'. Might sound daft but it helped me xxx

P.S. - I LOVED gas and air :-D :-D xxx

student_mummy;6070891

I was induced with my first too at 38 weeks as i had pre-eclampsia. They … I was induced with my first too at 38 weeks as i had pre-eclampsia. They gave me the tablet, put up there, at 8pm and by 10pm i was in labour. Midwifes wouldnt believe me though and kept telling me to sleep or have a bath!! Grrr :xHours later they decided to check, realised i was 3cm and took me down to the delivery room. 16 hours later, I hadnt dilated anymore and there was problems with my babies heart rate so I was taken for a em-cs.i know i didnt do the whole labour but the contractions i had were frequent enough (every 5 mins) and although its sore its managable. i found it helpful to go to my own place in my head and just think after each contraction 'well thats one closer to meeting my baby'. Might sound daft but it helped me xxxP.S. - I LOVED gas and air :-D :-D xxx

PMSL. So did I. Midwife busted me when she walked back in the room. Wife was enjoying her pethidine and I was sucking like a good 'un on the G&A. Not a happy midwife. :w00t:

i hate internals. im lame. when in labour i have to have gas and air for internals as im so lame

Banned

kyalion;6075087

PMSL. So did I. Midwife busted me when she walked back in the room. Wife … PMSL. So did I. Midwife busted me when she walked back in the room. Wife was enjoying her pethidine and I was sucking like a good 'un on the G&A. Not a happy midwife. :w00t:

Lol, what did she say to you?

i was alone during the labour of my first so i didnt have to share it with anyone (thank god :lol:)

Even made them wheel the G&A along behind me on the way to theatre, wasnt letting it go for anything :-D x

Gas and Air is fabulous!

It's all I had during the birth of mine - and I must say - I could've been anyone when I started swigging on that

student_mummy;6075152

Lol, what did she say to you?i was alone during the labour of my first so … Lol, what did she say to you?i was alone during the labour of my first so i didnt have to share it with anyone (thank god :lol:)Even made them wheel the G&A along behind me on the way to theatre, wasnt letting it go for anything :-D x

Ahhhhh Gas & Air....

I missed out the panting stage when her head was out - I just sucked on the gas & air and growled!!!
    LOL!!!!!

student_mummy;6075152

Lol, what did she say to you?i was alone during the labour of my first so … Lol, what did she say to you?i was alone during the labour of my first so i didnt have to share it with anyone (thank god :lol:)Even made them wheel the G&A along behind me on the way to theatre, wasnt letting it go for anything :-D x

If you've ever seen the episode of Fawlty Towers when Sybil goes into hospital for her in-growning toe-nail, then you'll remember the nurse on there. :w00t:
    I got a HUGE frown and a comment along the lines of "that's only for women giving birth, not fathers who appear bored"

I've had a sweep... I wouldnt ever have one again x x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1740
      2. GOT Leaks again918
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …99190
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846286

See more discussions