Preload WiFi SSID & login details on Android?

Posted 13th May
Hi all, I've searched Google and can't find an answer for this but it seems to be possible with iOS so hopefully Android can do it.

I want to send my in laws an Android tablet to use as they are isolated due to their age. When it arrives I want it to connect automatically as they aren't tech savvy.

If I manually add the SSID and password on the networks section on the tablet will it connect when it arrives at their house and gets in range of the router?

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Did that a few weeks ago but had to talk mum through the process of setting up the wifi over the phone if you have to do that here are a few tips,

Don't try it sober
Check their hearing aids and glasses are in place BEFORE you start
Allow a few weeks
Keep a thin piece of wood handy - to bite on instead of screaming
Repeat the phrase " why did you do that? I didn't tell you to do that" loudly and often.
Keep the windows closed, the neighbours might call the police.

Other than than it's a doddle.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 13th May
11 Comments
Yes it'll work.
And just to test it

Make a random SSID using your phone hotspot.

Put it into their tablet first and then create it on your phone.
Turn it on and see if it connects.

If it does, their WiFi will also work

For their WiFi
Just remember to select the correct security type for password and correct band.
Edited by: "D3SI" 13th May
D3SI13/05/2020 21:51

Yes it'll work.And just to test itMake a random SSID using your phone …Yes it'll work.And just to test itMake a random SSID using your phone hotspot. Put it into their tablet first and then create it on your phone.Turn it on and see if it connects.If it does, their WiFi will also workFor their WiFiJust remember to select the correct security type for password and correct band.

Not sure it works for WiFi, the hotspot will save ok but the WiFi network needs to connect to save otherwise it won't find it and disappear.
Did that a few weeks ago but had to talk mum through the process of setting up the wifi over the phone if you have to do that here are a few tips,

Don't try it sober
Check their hearing aids and glasses are in place BEFORE you start
Allow a few weeks
Keep a thin piece of wood handy - to bite on instead of screaming
Repeat the phrase " why did you do that? I didn't tell you to do that" loudly and often.
Keep the windows closed, the neighbours might call the police.

Other than than it's a doddle.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 13th May
MichyM13/05/2020 21:58

Not sure it works for WiFi, the hotspot will save ok but the WiFi network …Not sure it works for WiFi, the hotspot will save ok but the WiFi network needs to connect to save otherwise it won't find it and disappear.

Could always try calling the phone hotspot the same as his in laws WiFi and set the same password, connect and then send it. It should see the same name and use the password once it gets to destination
a666andy13/05/2020 23:23

Could always try calling the phone hotspot the same as his in laws WiFi …Could always try calling the phone hotspot the same as his in laws WiFi and set the same password, connect and then send it. It should see the same name and use the password once it gets to destination

I second that
If you need local help at your parents location once the tablet arrives there you could try GoodSam.
a666andy13/05/2020 23:23

Could always try calling the phone hotspot the same as his in laws WiFi …Could always try calling the phone hotspot the same as his in laws WiFi and set the same password, connect and then send it. It should see the same name and use the password once it gets to destination

This will fix it.

Recently had to change router in mum's house and she's shielding. Got the new one delivered to me & changed the SSID to be the same as her old one.

Simple plug & play when left on her door handle.
As above make the hotspot name whatever the router details are then drop it off and it will connect without issue
Personator123414/05/2020 09:48

As above make the hotspot name whatever the router details are then drop …As above make the hotspot name whatever the router details are then drop it off and it will connect without issue

May also need to replicate encryption type, which may difficult to change (if required) from phone's default.
joyf453613/05/2020 22:44

Did that a few weeks ago but had to talk mum through the process of …Did that a few weeks ago but had to talk mum through the process of setting up the wifi over the phone if you have to do that here are a few tips,Don't try it soberCheck their hearing aids and glasses are in place BEFORE you startAllow a few weeksKeep a thin piece of wood handy - to bite on instead of screamingRepeat the phrase " why did you do that? I didn't tell you to do that" loudly and often.Keep the windows closed, the neighbours might call the police.Other than than it's a doddle.

D3SI13/05/2020 21:51

Yes it'll work.And just to test itMake a random SSID using your phone …Yes it'll work.And just to test itMake a random SSID using your phone hotspot. Put it into their tablet first and then create it on your phone.Turn it on and see if it connects.If it does, their WiFi will also workFor their WiFiJust remember to select the correct security type for password and correct band.

Thanks, I did this and it worked!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions