EXPIRED

Preowned PS4 games

What are your thoughts on preowned games for next gen consoles?

Where is the best (in terms of condition) place online/instore to buy preowned games? Is there anything the game will stop me from accessing as I am the second user? What happens with DLC that is originally included?

7 Comments

Well, this time around I think many of us have bought new because the market didn't have as many preowned games. It meant waiting for a while for people to trade in.

I am a sucker for the cellophane, I enjoy unwrapping new games and the truth is, if you are savvy then on release you can usually get new games cheaper than they will appear preowned in the weeks that follow.

All said, I would have no hesitation in buying preowned. I have done last gen and to a smaller extent this gen. It's the same minus the cellophane. If there is a problem then return it for an exchange or refund, same rules apply.

As for additional content. Most Preordered and some standard edition games come with additional content of some kind. Extra weapons, extra cars, clothes and sometimes perks or extra levels.

If the code for these has been redeemed then it's tough luck, you miss out. You can sometimes buy them separately. I have to say that as yet I have never received anything so awesome I would miss if it wasn't there. I have sold some games with codes unused and bought some the same so it's probably hit and miss but I wouldn't be concerned.

As for where, anywhere really that's reputable. You take risks with unknown companies plus dodgy people and merchants on eBay and gumtree but that's the same with anything.

In short. Buy preowned or new, whichever is cheaper at the time. Unless after research you decide you NEED to have that pink leg armour dlc, then buy new and ensure its included.

DLC comes in the form of a code, if buying second hand it is usually unlikely that the DLC will be included as the first user would have more than likely used it up.

Best place, is the cheapest place. eBay is a good place to start or the for sale section on this very site. I but all my games digitally, but buying physical pre owned games is how it has always been, nothing has changed simply because we have moved into a new generation

Depends on the game and how they handle the DLC, on Disc or Code? and we have in the past had unused codes with SH games before, not often but it does happen but any missing codes usually can be purchased seperately and can be added to the cost of the SH game to see if it's a good deal and if unused then an added bonus.

Personally do not normally buy SH online and prefer hands on....our local CEX SH games are or have been, up to now, all as new and much better than in previous times and as above, nothing has really changed.
Edited by: "Likely2" 11th Dec 2014

Original Poster

MightyName

Well, this time around I think many of us have bought new because the … Well, this time around I think many of us have bought new because the market didn't have as many preowned games. It meant waiting for a while for people to trade in.I am a sucker for the cellophane, I enjoy unwrapping new games and the truth is, if you are savvy then on release you can usually get new games cheaper than they will appear preowned in the weeks that follow.All said, I would have no hesitation in buying preowned. I have done last gen and to a smaller extent this gen. It's the same minus the cellophane. If there is a problem then return it for an exchange or refund, same rules apply.As for additional content. Most Preordered and some standard edition games come with additional content of some kind. Extra weapons, extra cars, clothes and sometimes perks or extra levels.If the code for these has been redeemed then it's tough luck, you miss out. You can sometimes buy them separately. I have to say that as yet I have never received anything so awesome I would miss if it wasn't there. I have sold some games with codes unused and bought some the same so it's probably hit and miss but I wouldn't be concerned.As for where, anywhere really that's reputable. You take risks with unknown companies plus dodgy people and merchants on eBay and gumtree but that's the same with anything.In short. Buy preowned or new, whichever is cheaper at the time. Unless after research you decide you NEED to have that pink leg armour dlc, then buy new and ensure its included.

benjammin316

DLC comes in the form of a code, if buying second hand it is usually … DLC comes in the form of a code, if buying second hand it is usually unlikely that the DLC will be included as the first user would have more than likely used it up.Best place, is the cheapest place. eBay is a good place to start or the for sale section on this very site. I but all my games digitally, but buying physical pre owned games is how it has always been, nothing has changed simply because we have moved into a new generation

Likely2

Depends on the game and how they handle the DLC, on Disc or Code? and we … Depends on the game and how they handle the DLC, on Disc or Code? and we have in the past had unused codes with SH games before, not often but it does happen but any missing codes usually can be purchased seperately and can be added to the cost of the SH game to see if it's a good deal and if unused then an added bonus.Personally do not normally buy SH online and prefer hands on....our local CEX SH games are or have been, up to now, all as new and much better than in previous times and as above, nothing has really changed.

Thanks for the response I appreciate it, some great info there and I think you've all pretty much covered everything between you

Depends on the game. Grand theft auto, fifa, big games and releases il always be buying brand new on release day. Something smaller like watchdogs, trials fusion etc Id buy preowned

I don't have any hesitation about buying pre-owned, as long as it's significantly cheaper than brand new, ie if I can buy brand new for like £2 more, I'll buy new. If I wanted the included DLC with the game then I'd also buy new. If not bothered I'd take a chance with second hand, sometimes have had an unused code in :).

Last week we picked up Destiny for £15 off Gumtree, then tried to buy another copy for £15, I was told no by the seller as £25 was already cheaper than the shops. Found it at Grainger for £20 so got it there, brand new was £35 cheapest so made sense to buy pre-owned. That and CEX give £15 cash/£21 voucher at the minute for it as well. I also sell a lot of my games on once finished so I'm glad there's a market for used games :p.

I bought BF4 pre-owned and even had the China Rising DLC code unredeemed. Like MightyName says look out for deals on new releases as I haven't paid more than £35 (new) for any ps4 or Xbox One game yet.
Edited by: "Nettle_Warrior" 13th Dec 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Ap on iPhone ios1133
    2. Hatchimals on Ebay - are they fake?11
    3. Ditched Sky1113
    4. Tough Doggy Ball Recommendations, Please?914

See more discussions