Prepaid Card to withdraw cash abroad

Posted 13th Mar
Hello i wonder if i could ask for some input please

I am looking for a prepaid card that will allow me to withdraw cash abroad for free or with a minimal fee (lower rate compared to bank).

The amount is not the problem as it will be around £200+ but it's just the cost of the transaction i am concerned about as i do not want to take out a lump sum but be able to withdraw when i want.

Also, if there is no charge to withdraw abroad does that mean if an ATM declares there is a charge would I still be charged or would I have to look for a free cash withdrawal machine.
Thank you
Community Updates
8 Comments
Starling card
"Also, if there is no charge to withdraw abroad does that mean if an ATM declares there is a charge would I still be charged or would I have to look for a free cash withdrawal machine.
Thank you"

YES! Always look for an atm that dispenses the local currency and always try to find one that doesn't charge for usage.
Revolut is the only pre paid card

Starling and monzo are actual debit accounts
MadeDixonsCry13/03/2020 10:16

"Also, if there is no charge to withdraw abroad does that mean if an ATM …"Also, if there is no charge to withdraw abroad does that mean if an ATM declares there is a charge would I still be charged or would I have to look for a free cash withdrawal machine.Thank you"YES! Always look for an atm that dispenses the local currency and always try to find one that doesn't charge for usage.

Yes a lot of foreign banks add their own ATM charge ( Euronet are one of them) and you would have to pay that. You are normally warned of the charge so you can cancel the transaction. Don't fall for the ' Do you want this transaction charged in £'s' , the rate they gave you is in the region of 10% less than the actual exchange rate.
justanothercid13/03/2020 10:25

Revolut is the only pre paid card Starling and monzo are actual debit …Revolut is the only pre paid card Starling and monzo are actual debit accounts

you can put money into a starling account and transfer into a side currency account whenever you like (I have €450 in my euro account and got €1.21 to the £ last month). free conversions and free overseas ATM withdrawals and merchant transactions.

Crucially, unlike revolut, it doesnt have a ridiculously low ATM withdrawal limit (£200 per 30 days for free, but revolut apply a fee of 2% thereafter)
Edited by: "chocci" 13th Mar
chocci13/03/2020 10:32

you can put money into a starling account and transfer into a side …you can put money into a starling account and transfer into a side currency account whenever you like (I have €450 in my euro account and got €1.21 to the £ last month). free conversions and free overseas ATM withdrawals and merchant transactions.Crucially, unlike revolut, it doesnt have a ridiculously low ATM withdrawal limit (£200 per 30 days for free, but revolut apply a fee of 2% thereafter)

So with the side currency account is there a limit as to how much you can withdraw?
yorkie1213/03/2020 10:25

Yes a lot of foreign banks add their own ATM charge ( Euronet are one of …Yes a lot of foreign banks add their own ATM charge ( Euronet are one of them) and you would have to pay that. You are normally warned of the charge so you can cancel the transaction. Don't fall for the ' Do you want this transaction charged in £'s' , the rate they gave you is in the region of 10% less than the actual exchange rate.

punji13/03/2020 10:35

So with the side currency account is there a limit as to how much you can …So with the side currency account is there a limit as to how much you can withdraw?

You can make up to six withdrawals per day, with a daily limit of £300 (regardless of what currency you are withdrawing).
chocci13/03/2020 12:01

You can make up to six withdrawals per day, with a daily limit of £300 …You can make up to six withdrawals per day, with a daily limit of £300 (regardless of what currency you are withdrawing).

Cheers I will look into this with my bank..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants