Presentation for an Interview

Posted 6th Aug 2020Edited by:"Z4H33R"
Hi all,

So i have applied for a pharmacy assistant job and managed to secure an interview which is on Tuesday 11th Aug. Now I have been asked to prepare a presentation on the actual job role. I have delivered presentation before in interviews but usually they tell you the subject i.e. a thought process behind something, or how would you go about introducing a new service. However, with this one all I have been asked is prepare a presentation on pharmcy assistant. I have never come across such request. What is it that they might want to see or me talk about in the presentation. I.e. how the job fits within the organisation, how I would carry out the duty (talk about my experience and skills that I would bring into this job)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Hmm this is odd. I'm an apprentice pharmacy advisor never had to do a slideshow for the interview
Contact potential employer and ask if you can shadow a pharmacy assistant for a couple of hours. Gets your foot in the door, you’ll meet some of the team and you’ll find out about the role.
You have time... contact the HR dept and ask for the specific subject matter of the presentation.

I hate that they ask for a presentation in these interviews now. It is entirely irrelevant to the role, I think it just filters out the time wasters, but provides no benefit to the role. It's not like you'll be giving patients a bloody slide show is it!
Edited by: "spongebob1913" 6th Aug
Good luck is all I’ve got to add
First of all many gratz on getting the I/V.

Obvs, they are not interested in your presentation skills!

Asking for a presentation is just a technique to establish how much your application matches the person they see before them. Remember, for all they know you might have got someone else to complete the application.

You sound as if you have it sussed already. You have been chosen to be interviewed on the strength of what you have already submitted. They already think you have the skills, attributes, experience, etc - but they just need to double check.

Take a look once more at the job description and try your best to identify the bits which you will struggle on in the early days. You may have been silent on a few things they asked for, so this is another opportunity for you to mention your previous experience, etc in these areas, Don't be afraid to show a little self-deprecation, expressing your willingness to learn, etc.

Practice your presentation, keep it to time or just a little shorter. Remember to state up front whether you would be happy or not to be interrupted during your presentation - if they interrupt you, it is simply a test of how you cope under pressure.

Good Luck!
I think I would focus on the role of a good pharmacy assistant and the attributes and skills that they need .... how would you fill these, what would you be bringing to the role etc
britlad06/08/2020 07:30

Contact potential employer and ask if you can shadow a pharmacy assistant …Contact potential employer and ask if you can shadow a pharmacy assistant for a couple of hours. Gets your foot in the door, you’ll meet some of the team and you’ll find out about the role.

Hmm not sure they would allow it as its in a children's in patient pharmacy.
spongebob191306/08/2020 07:41

You have time... contact the HR dept and ask for the specific subject …You have time... contact the HR dept and ask for the specific subject matter of the presentation. I hate that they ask for a presentation in these interviews now. It is entirely irrelevant to the role, I think it just filters out the time wasters, but provides no benefit to the role. It's not like you'll be giving patients a bloody slide show is it!

Will give that a try, and post the update.
tardytortoise06/08/2020 09:51

First of all many gratz on getting the I/V.Obvs, they are not interested …First of all many gratz on getting the I/V.Obvs, they are not interested in your presentation skills!Asking for a presentation is just a technique to establish how much your application matches the person they see before them. Remember, for all they know you might have got someone else to complete the application.You sound as if you have it sussed already. You have been chosen to be interviewed on the strength of what you have already submitted. They already think you have the skills, attributes, experience, etc - but they just need to double check.Take a look once more at the job description and try your best to identify the bits which you will struggle on in the early days. You may have been silent on a few things they asked for, so this is another opportunity for you to mention your previous experience, etc in these areas, Don't be afraid to show a little self-deprecation, expressing your willingness to learn, etc.Practice your presentation, keep it to time or just a little shorter. Remember to state up front whether you would be happy or not to be interrupted during your presentation - if they interrupt you, it is simply a test of how you cope under pressure.Good Luck!

Yes definitely, they are never interested in the presentation skills. I will have a look at the job description and make some notes on challenges which i could face and how to overcome. Also, I was thinking of talking about willingness.
Bobster-cyw06/08/2020 09:52

I think I would focus on the role of a good pharmacy assistant and the …I think I would focus on the role of a good pharmacy assistant and the attributes and skills that they need .... how would you fill these, what would you be bringing to the role etc

I have worked as a pharmacy assistant in my local pharmacy but this was 10 years ago, a lot must've changed now but yes, I could talk about the experience and transferable skills i have gained from the role.

I honestly appreciate all the input, even those i haven't replied to. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thank you
Edited by: "Z4H33R" 6th Aug
I had to do this some years ago for a public sector contract and it was very time consuming as I had to do power point slides. It was about how I would approach the job and carry out the analysis as it was for a Statistician job.

I didn't mind doing the presentation but it took a lot of my time preparing for the interview, which I would not normally have to do for an interview. I didn't get the job anyway so it was a complete waste of time.

Public sector for you!
mutley106/08/2020 13:40

I had to do this some years ago for a public sector contract and it was …I had to do this some years ago for a public sector contract and it was very time consuming as I had to do power point slides. It was about how I would approach the job and carry out the analysis as it was for a Statistician job.I didn't mind doing the presentation but it took a lot of my time preparing for the interview, which I would not normally have to do for an interview. I didn't get the job anyway so it was a complete waste of time.Public sector for you!

Yes i have been asked to create powerpoint slides and upload it by Sunday. I think i kind of understand now what they are expecting. Thanks to you and other lovely users taking out the time to reply

I've been in that situation before,didn't get the job after putting in time for the interview with a presentation.
Z4H33R06/08/2020 14:33

Yes i have been asked to create powerpoint slides and upload it by Sunday. …Yes i have been asked to create powerpoint slides and upload it by Sunday. I think i kind of understand now what they are expecting. Thanks to you and other lovely users taking out the time to reply I've been in that situation before,didn't get the job after putting in time for the interview with a presentation.

i had to do a 30 minutes presentation so it was a struggle to come up with a presentation for that long! i ended up pretty much telling them how to analyse the data so i wonder if it was just a ploy to get free advice, lol

you do sometimes come across these sort of interviews for professional jobs as my husband had to do one, but it was to talk about himself and his experience, which would be appropriate for the job.

i think the key is to make the slides professional and interesting (if that is possible! XD) and to brush up on your presentation skills. i think they want to get candidates who are prepared to spend time on the interview and they want to assess your delivery, knowledge and how you come across in public.
britlad06/08/2020 07:30

Contact potential employer and ask if you can shadow a pharmacy assistant …Contact potential employer and ask if you can shadow a pharmacy assistant for a couple of hours. Gets your foot in the door, you’ll meet some of the team and you’ll find out about the role.

Doubt you could shadow with current distancing regulations.

Also, you would essentially be a person walking off the street and would be able to see patient prescriptions with their details on it, which would be a massive no-no.
That’s probably correct, but you appear to know their response without even asking them. When I employ someone, I prefer someone who makes an effort to show interest in my company and the job itself. Definitely not someone who bowls up on the day and assumes to know all the answers.
Good luck, Z4h33r.
Edited by: "britlad" 6th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text