Expired

Prevent a phone purchased from eBay being blocked

Found 15th Jul 2013
Hi all.

I am looking at a mobile phone on eBay listed as new.
The seller appears to be pretty genuine and has also replied to me and assured me the phone is neither barred or stolen.

I understand that phones get sold, then blocked if reported stolen or for insurance purposes.

IF I were to purchase the phone from him, is there any way I can contact someone (EE, Nokia, IMEI database, whoever) ...to say "look, I have just bought this phone and I own it. Here is my proof of purchase from eBay" so as to prevent the IMEI from being blocked and having piece of mind?

The phone is 'brand new', but not sealed.

Your help is very much appreciated in advance.

Steve
Community Updates
AskiPhonePhones
11 Comments
Short and sweet, no. It will be blocked for good reason and unless you can prove otherwise to have it unblocked it will remain so. EBay receipts will prove nothing other than you may have bought stolen/unlawfully obtained item unwittingly.
There's no system in place by any of the networks to transfer ownership of a phone.

If the original owner calls the network he bought the phone through and tells them it's lost or stolen they will always blacklist it. And, due to the way they work the DPA, you can call them all you want but they won't talk to you about the phone.

Sorry, there's no way to avoid the risk. . .
both eBay and PayPal have a dispute console. you are pretty protected when it comes to being a BUYER on eBay. PayPal always seem to take the buyers word. I know of people who have purchased items, received them and then claimed they didn't. the buyer gets the item and a refund. ebee freebies as it's called. make sure the seller records and tracks delivery. don't settle for anything less. keep all communication between you and the seller. never delete an email or an eBay message. make sure you have all the evidence that you have bought the phone legitimately and if when the phone arrives it doesn't work or stops. open dispute with PayPal. as far as I'm aware you can open a dispute up to 180 days after purchase. but rest assured if your phone gets bricked. PayPal will refund. and there's also a little word called FRAUD and INSURANCE that the police don't like too much so if all else fails 101 none emergency number. we pay enough we don't need to let these scum off the hook each time. but cover your back. keep everything. and it's always worth a try if you want to make sure they don't brick your phone. Give them a call and see what happens
Is it worth the risk to save a few quid ? In a word - no
meow3000

both eBay and PayPal have a dispute console. you are pretty protected … both eBay and PayPal have a dispute console. you are pretty protected when it comes to being a BUYER on eBay. PayPal always seem to take the buyers word. I know of people who have purchased items, received them and then claimed they didn't. the buyer gets the item and a refund. ebee freebies as it's called. make sure the seller records and tracks delivery. don't settle for anything less. keep all communication between you and the seller. never delete an email or an eBay message. make sure you have all the evidence that you have bought the phone legitimately and if when the phone arrives it doesn't work or stops. open dispute with PayPal. as far as I'm aware you can open a dispute up to 180 days after purchase. but rest assured if your phone gets bricked. PayPal will refund. and there's also a little word called FRAUD and INSURANCE that the police don't like too much so if all else fails 101 none emergency number. we pay enough we don't need to let these scum off the hook each time. but cover your back. keep everything. and it's always worth a try if you want to make sure they don't brick your phone. Give them a call and see what happens

There is next to zero protection using paypal in these circumstances. Fine if you are buying from reputable firms and long established good members, but if you are buying from the type of person who would flog a stolen phone and then put a claim in, do you really think the seller will keep funds in his paypal account to furnish the buyer with a refund?

The best protection is to use a credit card... if over £100 or even a deposit (iirc) you can claim the whole lot of it back through card protection.

Paypal only issues a refund if the seller has the funds in his account. A refund without the cash is as worthless as the blocked phone you just bought.
Get it checked before buying it for like £1.99
checkmend.com/uk/
Superman999

Get it checked before buying it for like £1.99http://www.checkmend.com/uk/

A good first step, but the original owner can report it lost or stolen at any time. So it may show as fine now, but they can report it lost a week after they've sold it... That's the problem with the system (or lack of it)...
tallpete33

Is it worth the risk to save a few quid ? In a word - no

Thanks a lot for all the good words.
I think the above is what's on my mind.

50quid or whatever, you can do that in a weekend with a few beers and a takeaway. Just not worth the hassle, not from a less than highly reputable eBay seller anyway.

Hopefully this thread may help a few other people in the same position, especially given how popular the 2nd hand mobile market is for buying and more worryingly, fraud.

Thanks again

Steve
I've bought a few mobile phones from E-Bay as 'Buy Now", mostly listed as new with several available from the seller's shop and have never had any problems, always coming in the box complete with charger, guarantee, instructions and anything else needed. If you check the seller's feed-back you should be fine.
don't the paypal/ebay scammers do it after 45 days, then report stolen.
As you can't open a case after that period.
You can take the mobile network to court, theres a thread on MSE with a lady asking for compensation from t mobile for £350 for blocking the phone, and then recieving it

Mobile networks have no right to block your phone, if they do you can get a Fraud information request(dont know what the legal name of it is), and then claim it off them , as you notified them beforehand.

If the phone is blocked, and t mobile have been notified, then t mobile can also be said to be commiting fraud.

A sale reciept, or proof or address and id photocopy from the original seller will prove that the phone is yours, unless it was stolen and then sold, but what is the risk of someone getting there phone stolen and then reporting it after 45 days

Blocking the phone after selling it is fraud, and someone with high feedback will not be inclined to commit it, and ebay will co-operate with all fraud investigations

If your really worried, then buy it from an ebay business seller, and get an invoice

Buy it now deals are alot of the time cheaper then auction deals

Edited by: "revster" 15th Jul 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions